Listed 6 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for wider area of: "POLYDROSSOS
Information about the place (6)
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Eth. Lilaieus. A town of Phocis, situated at the foot of Mount Parnassus,
and at the sources of the Cephissus. (Hom. Il.. ii. 522, Hymn. in Apoll. 240;
Strab. ix.; Paus. ix. 24. § 1, x. 33. § 3.) It was distant from Delphi by the
road over Parnassus 180 stadia. (Paus.) It is not mentioned by Herodotus (viii.
31) among the towns destroyed by the Persians; whence we may conjecture that it
belonged at that time to the Dorians, who made their submission to Xerxes. It
was destroyed at the end of the Sacred War; but was soon afterwards restored.
It was taken by Demetrius, but subsequently threw off the Macedonian yoke. Pausanias
saw at Lilaea a theatre, an agora, and baths, with temples of Apollo and Artemis,
containing statues of Athenian workmanship and of Pentelic marble. (Paus. x. 33.
§ 4; see also x. 3. § 1, x. 8. § 10; Lycophr. 1073; Steph. B. s. v.) The ruins
of Lilaea, called Paleokastro, are situated about half a mile from the sources
of the Cephissus. The entire circuit of the fortification exists, partly founded
on the steep descent of a rocky hill, while the remainder encompasses a level
space at its foot, where the ground is covered with ruins. Some of the towers
on the walls are almost entire. The sources of the Cephissus, now called Kefalovryses
(Kephalobruseis), are said by Pausanias very often to issue from the earth, especially
at midday, with a noise resembling the roaring of a bull; and Leake found, upon
inquiry, that though the present natives had never made any such observation at
Kefalovryses, yet the water often rises suddenly from the ground in larger quantities
than usual, which cannot but be accompanied with some noise. Ptolemy (iii. 15.
§ 15) erroneously calls Lilaea a town of Doris.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities
An ancient town in Phocis, near the sources of the river Cephissus.
- Perseus: Harry Thurston Peck, Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
Erochon: Eiochos occurs in Pausanias' list between Daulis and Charadra;
Leake, N.G. ii. 89, regarded its site as undiscoverable; Bursian, op. c. i. 162,
places it conjecturally between Charadra and Tithronion; it appears on Grundy's
and Kiepert's maps on the left side of the river, between Tithronion and Elateia.
It was probably a small place, apparently restored after the Phokian war (in which
it had been destroyed again); (Paus. 10. 3. 2).
- Reginald Walter Macan, Herodotus: Commentary
Perseus Project index
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
At the N foot of Parnassus. It is mentioned in the Homeric Catalogue
of Ships (Il. 2.523). It was sacked in 346, during the Third Sacred War (Paus.
10.3.1), but was reconstructed after Chaironeia.
Pausanias mentions (10.33.3-5) a theater, baths, and temples. A well-preserved
fortification wall ascends from the plain to the citadel on the W side of the
site. Some towers stand in part to the second story, and portions of the stepped
curtain and screen-wall are almost intact. On the E side of the hill remains of
buildings are recorded in the ravine below the E cliffs, as well as farther N
at the edge of the plain. The W wall certainly continued some 150-200 m into the
plain. The large tower at the SW corner of the citadel may have served as barracks
for the garrison.
About 2 km E of Lilaia is a spring identified since Homeric times
as the source of the Kephisos (see Il. 2.523; also Paus. 10.33.5). A shrine and
dedications to the river god were found here; and the priest of Kephisos was eponymous
magistrate of Lilaia. Near Suvala village, farther N from the spring, Karouzos
found a Sanctuary of Demeter; material excavated ran from the 5th to the 2d c.,
and included bricks stamped of the Lilaians.
F. E. Winter, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.