Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "ARTEMISSION
Information about the place (3)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
A promontory on the NW coast, named for the Sanctuary of Artemis Proseoia.
The first encounter between the Greek and Persian fleets took place offshore in
July 480 B.C. Although Pliny lists it among the cities of Euboia, Herodotos and
Plutarch mention only the temple; it seems probable that the region took on the
name because of the importance of the sanctuary. The site was identified by Lolling
at Haghios Georgios near Potaki on the Bay of Pevki. It lies to the W of Gouves
on an isolated spur of the hills which limit the small coastal plain of Kurbatsi,
and is now marked by the ruins of a 6th c. Byzantine complex. These were cleared
by excavators, digging several trenches. They reported numerous ancient blocks,
column drums, stele bases, and terracottas ranging from an early painted sima
to a Roman acanthus leaf fragment, but failed to find the location of the temple
itself. Lolling concluded that the Byzantine building, of which he excavated only
one room, must have followed the foundations of the Classical period. Other building
blocks indicated the site of a settlement on the higher slope to the S.
The well-known bronze statue of Poseidon, now in the National Museum
at Athens, was found off Cape Artemision itself, an arm in 1926, the rest in 1928.
M. H. Mc Allister, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities
A promontory on the northwestern coast of Euboea, and noted for the naval victory won by the Greeks over the Persians on the same day as the battle of Thermopylae, in B.C. 480.
- Perseus: Harry Thurston Peck, Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
Artemisium, Artemision, Artemisius, Artemisso
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.