EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for destination: "EPISKOPI Village EVRYTANIA".


Information about the place (1)

Local government WebPages

Episkopi

Located between the villages that were inundated by the waters of Kremaston lake. One of the greatest Byzantine monuments of Greece, the church of Episcopy dedicated to the Virgin, used to be located in Episcopy village. This Byzantine church, a work of the 8th century, was a seat of the Bishopric, most probably the Bishopric itself. This great Byzantine monument ceased to exist due to the construction of the Acheloos hydroelectric dam in 1963. An important work over 1200 years old was lost. Fortunately however, its rare and valuable murals were saved and are kept in the Athens National Museum. They are successively from the 8th, 9th, 11th and 13th century. In 1965 this lake began to fill with the waters of the Acheloos, Tavropou (Megdova) and Agrafiotis rivers. An aquatic habitat was created around the lake and a pisciculture unit is in operation raising carp and trout. The Episcopi bridge leads to the opposite shore of the lake, in the county of Aitalokarnania.

This extract is cited August 2003 from the Municipality of Karpenission URL below, which contains image.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.