EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 9 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for wider area of: "AGRAFA Municipality EVRYTANIA" .


Information about the place (9)

Boundaries

LIAKOURA (Mountaintop) EVRYTANIA

The Agrafiotis river flows to the E and the Fteri mountaintop is situated to the N.


MARATHIA (Mountaintop) EVRYTANIA

The Tavropos river flows to the E.


Local government Web-Sites

AGRAFA (Municipality) EVRYTANIA

Municipality of Agrafa


Local government WebPages

AGRAFA (Village) EVRYTANIA

Agrafa

This village is surrounded by tall mountain peaks and gorges. Its been the focal point of historic events from Byzantium of 741 b.c. to today. It is an organized village with traditional cafes, tavernas and hostels which experiences a great deal of tourist activity both from local and foreign tourism. We can visit: the big square with its 10 centuries-old sycamores, the stone church of Agios Dimitrios built in 1900 at the village center, the post-Byzantine church of Agios Georgios built in 1610 with its full-scale murals (this church was moved in its entirety without being damaged, when in 1887 the village sank in that spot), the post-Byzantine church of Panagia dating from 1650 and which is in Kefalari - garrison of the village, the stone bridge- arch also dating from 1650, 1,5 klm before the village.
In the pretty settlement of Saika (40 klm from Karditsa) is the old church of Agia Triada with murals dating from 1641. Other mountain climbing monuments are: Tripa Tou Agrafioti gorge, which is in Natura 2000, Hondeika gorge, the Veli area where Katsantonis killed Veli Geka in 1807, the battlements of Katsantonis in Vouidorema Hrysos, the Civil War memorial in Niala, the old castle-garrison Moumjeli, Koukourountzos mountain.

This extract is cited August 2003 from the Municipality of Karpenission URL below, which contains image.


Epiniana

It is in the most imposing spot of the mountain range with a view to the Agrafioti gorge. Of particular historical and religious significance is the Monastery-Secret School of Panagia Stanas which is dated from 1550. The church of Agios Georgios at the village center is a monument of architectural art and dates from 1890. A mountain climbing route of about 2 hours is: Epiniana - Faraggi Asprorema, which is not only of the greatest natural beauty, filled with rare flaura and fauna, but it has also been proposed for Natura 2000. In this gully wild trout flourish. Another route in the gorge: Anifora - Fteri from the stone bridge-arch of Geortia.

This extract is cited August 2003 from the Municipality of Karpenission URL below, which contains image.


MARATHOS (Village) AGRAFA

Marathos

Its old name was Miresi. It is the birthplace of Katsantonis 1776-1809. The prominent position of the church of Agion Taxiarhon attracts many pilgrims and mountain climbers. It was built in 1771 and contains many icons from the 17th century. Mountain climbing routes lead to: Ai Lia,the working windmill in the area of Veli.

This extract is cited August 2003 from the Municipality of Karpenission URL below, which contains image.


Monastiraki

Access is easy since it is only 3 klm away from the central road. An hour and a half from the village is the spring and the cave of the hero Katasantonis. The village springs, fount Mosholi and the underground cave at Syhniko are natural monuments. The route either by mountain climbing or with a 4X4 is: Monastiraki - Fteri 12 klm.

This extract is cited August 2003 from the Municipality of Karpenission URL below, which contains image.


TROVATO (Village) AGRAFA

Trovato

Another traditinoal Agrafioti village is Trovato. It is an old, historic stockbreeding village with 4 settlements. Interesting icons are in Agios Dimitrios church. The monastery of Panagia is north of the village (1644). The Cave of Karaiskaki is an historical monument and a natural monument is "Piasmeni Gis". A mountain climbing and 4X4 route is: from Trovato - Fterousio - Giannitsari - Delidimi (altitude 2154 m.).

This extract is cited August 2003 from the Municipality of Karpenission URL below, which contains image.


VRANGIANA (Village) AGRAFA

Vraggiana

  An historic and renowned village from the flourishing of letters during the time of the Turkish occupation. A University of the era, the Ellinomousei Agrafon-Gouvas School operated from 1661-1705. At that time there were 24 churches, today only 3 survive concentrating many pilgrims. Agia Paraskevi, wiht murals from 1605, Agios Ioannis from 1647, Agios Dimitrios from 1661.

This extract is cited Oct 2002 from the Municipality of Karpenission URL below.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.