The name of three towns on the western coast of the Peloponnesus.
(2) In Triphylia, about thirty stadia from the coast, on the river Mamaus, west of the mountain Minthe, and north of Lepreum.
Pulos: Eth. Pulios. A town in Triphylia, mentioned only by Strabo, and surnamed by him Triphuliakos, Arkadikos, and Lepreatikos. He describes it as situated 30 stadia from the sea, on the rivers Mamathus and Arcadicus, west of the mountain Minthe and north of Lepreum (viii. p. 344). Upon the conquest of the Triphylian towns by the Eleians, Pylus was annexed to Lepreum (viii. p. 355). Leake observes that the village Tjorbadji, on the western extremity of Mount Minthe, at the fork of two branches of the river of Ai Sidhero, seems to agree in every respect with Strabo's description of this town. (Peloponnesiaca, p. 109.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!