A mountainous village on a green mountainside, 65 km to the southeast
of Pyrgos, which has got 663
inhabitants. The old stone houses have got tiled roofs. The big central square
is covered by huge plane-trees. It is the place where Panagiotis Anagnostopoulos
- a member of the Society of Friends was born.
The sights are:
A precious library, donation of K. Nikolopoulos. It includes rare editions of the 16th century from Venice and the Vatican, archetypes, papyruses and documents of historic importance. The records of the War of Independence of 1821 are impressive. There are also archaeological findings (coins, pots etc), plaster-casts of Apollo's temple.
The churches of St Theraponta, St Nicholas, St Athanasius and Santa Barbara as well as the little church of the Archangels date back to the 18th and 19th century.
The ancient Vasses, 15 km to the south of Andritsaina, where the temple of Apollo looms up in a wild atmosphere, an elevation of 1,130 m. It was constructed by Iktinos, the architect of Parthenon, and dates back to 420-400 BC. It was built on the site of another temple by the inhabitants of Figalia.
The ancient mountain of Kotylio, where traces of ancient temples have been found. They are believed to have been dedicated to Aphrodite and Artemis (Diana). The view you get from up there is enchanting.
Near Platiana village, in the northwest of Andritsaina, there are remnants of ancient Aepius. The imposing remnants of the Isova monastery, built in the 13th century, was dedicated to the Holy Mother. The monastery was destroyed in 1263 by the Byzantine soldiers. The main church and the church of St Nicholas are also devastated. These remnants are the most important of the Franc occupation.
Some remnants of the fortification of ancient Alifira on a hill. The town of Alifira was one of the most important political centre of ancient Arcadia. The excavations in the citadel of ancient Alifira revealed tomb monuments, remnants of some residences and the Dorian temple of Athina (5th century BC), where the brass statue of the goddess was put.
The foundations of Aesculapiu's temple were also revealed. The pedestal of the god's statue was found. It is made of wood and ivory.
This text is cited December 2004 from the West Greece Region General Secretariat URL below, which contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!