(Palairos). A town on the coast of Acarnania near Leucas.
Palaipos: Eth. Palaipeus. A town on the W. coast of Acarnania, on the Ionian sea, which is placed by Strabo between Leucas and Alyzia. Its exact site is unknown. Leake places it in the valley of Livadhi. In the first year of the Peloponnesian War (B.C. 431) Palaerus was in alliance with the Athenians; and when the latter people took the neighbouring town of Sollium, which was a Corinthian colony, they gave both it and its territory to the inhabitants of Palaerus.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!