EGES (Ancient city) ACHAIA
Aipsai: Eth. Aigaios, Aigeates, Aigaieus. Or Aega (Aiga), a town of Achaia, and one of the 12 Achaean cities, was situated upon the river Crathis and upon the coast, between Aegeira and Bura. It is mentioned by Homer, and was celebrated in the earliest times for its worship of Poseidon. It was afterwards deserted by its inhabitants, who removed to the neighbouring town of Aegeira; and it had already ceased to be one of the 12 Achaean cities on the renewal of the League in B.C. 280, its place being occupied by Ceryneia. Its name does not occur in Polybius. All traces of Aegae have disappeared, but it probably occupied the site of the Khan of Akrata, which is situated upon a commanding height rising from the left bank of the river. Neither Strabo nor Pausanias mention on which bank of the Crathis it stood, but it probably stood on the left bank, since the right is low and often inundated.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
A town in Achaea, with a celebrated temple of Poseidon, originally one of the twelve Achaean towns; but its inhabitants subsequently removed to Aegira.
AKRATA (Small town) ACHAIA
A seaside village in a wonderful physical environment and with clear seas. It is 71 klm away from Patra.
The city, which was named after the river Krathi, is at the position of the ancient city of Eges.
The post-Byzantine convent of the Holy Trinity which was built in 1715. Its wall paintings are in a good condition. There are many important heirlooms, portable icons, ecclesiastic books and a hand made Gospel of 1672. Many of the cells have been built on ancient remains.
This text is cited December 2004 from the West Greece Region General Secretariat URL below, which contains image.
This cape was formed by the mouth of the Krathis river.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!