Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "ETIA
Information about the place (2)
The village of Etia is 31km south of Sitia on the Sitia - Piskokefalo
- Epano Episkopi - Papagiannades - Etia road. In the area of Etia there are some
important Venetian remains and Byzantine churches.
Etia is a small settlement situated in the Municipality of Lefki.
It's 2 klm away from the village of Papagianades driving to the village of Armeni.
In a Venetian census was recorded with a population of 564. The village
of Etia was at peak of its power around the Venetian occupation and from the presence
of the St. John and St. Aikaterini churches one assumes that the village also
existed through the Byzantine period as well.
The village used to be private property of the De Mezzo family, a
venetian family, where they built their three-storeyed house, the Seragio Serai
House, which used to host Turkish officers as well during the Turkish occupation
and can be seen nowadays. This House is considered to be one of the most important
samples of the Venetian architecture in Crete.
The church of St. Aikaterini used to be occupied by the Turks as a
mosque until the Cretan revolution in 1897.
At the south of village of Etia there is the hill of Etiani Kefala
at an altitude of 715 m. where it used to be a sacred place but unfortunately
This text is cited September 2004 from the Interkriti URL below.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.