EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 12 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for wider area of: "ELOUNDA Small town LASSITHI" .


Information about the place (12)

Commercial WebPages

ELOUNDA (Small town) LASSITHI

Elounda

  Elounda, a growing resort area 11km north of Agios Nikolaos, is noted for its coves and rocky coastlines as well as for the beautiful village of Elounda itself, the fishing harbour, the sunken city of Olous and the remains of a Byzantine basilica.
The village of Elounda is beside the sea and has a view of peaceful Elounda Bay and Spinalonga. The village has a number of restaurants and tavernas and many quality hotels are near by.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


OLOUS (Ancient city) ELOUNDA

Ancient Site of Olous

  From Elounda a causeway leads to the island of Spinalonga and the sunken city of Olous. Olous was built on the neck of the land that joins Crete with the peninsula of Spinalonga. Olous was an ancient Greek town in which the statue of Vritomartis once stood. When the weather is calm the remains of Olous can be seen on the sea bottom. Archaeologists have done very little excavating here but an inscription from the second century B.C. was found referring to an alliance between Olous, Lato, and Knossos indicating the importance of this ancient city. Another inscription of the same era refers to a treaty of Olous with Rhodes. Other finds in the area include rock tombs with funerary objects which are on display in the Agios Nikolaos Museum.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


PLAKA (Settlement) ELOUNDA

Plaka

  The road from Elounda continues following the coastline to the north to the small village at the end of the peninsula, Plaka. Plaka has good quality fish restaurants near the sea and small hotels and tavernas. The beaches are small but uncrowded and much more pleasant than those at Elounda. Plaka has the islet of Spinalonga directly in front. There is a small pier here where fishermen are willing to ferry you across to see the ruins. There are also organized boat trips from Elounda and Agios Nikolaos.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains image.


SPINALONGA (Island) CRETE

Spinalonga

  The small islet of Spinalonga is a short boat trip from Elounda. It is the site of one of the most important and best fortresses the Venetians built on Crete and was constructed in 1579 to protect the harbour, entrance to the bay and anchorage of Elounda.
Spinalonga remained Venetian for half a century after the Turkish conquest of Crete and became a refuge for Christians fleeing from the Turks. Finally, in 1715, the Venetians handed over the island to the Turks by a special treaty.
In 1903, the Cretan Republic made Spinalonga a colony for the lepers of Crete, that subsequently closed in 1957.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Commercial WebSites

ELOUNDA (Small town) LASSITHI

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

KADISTOS (Mountain) LASSITHI

Cadistus

  Cadistus, a mountain of Crete, belonging to the ridge of the White Mountains. Its position has been fixed by Hoeck (Kreta, vol. i. p. 380) at Cape Spadha, the most northerly point of the whole island. In Ptolemy (iii. 17. § 8) this promontory bears the name of Psakon akron; while Strabo (x. p. 484) calls it Diktunnaion akroterion, and his remark that Melos lay at nearly the same distance from it as from the Scyllaeanpromontory, shows that he indicated this as the most northerly point of the island. The mass of mountain of which the cape was composed bore the double name of Cadistus and Dictynnaeus. (Plin. iv. 12. s. 20; Solin. 16.) It would seem that Pliny and Solinus were in error when they described Cadistus and Dictynnaeus as two separate peaks. Psakon akron and Cadistus were the original and proper names of the promontory and mountain, while Diktunnaion akroterion and oros were epithets afterwards given, and derived from the worship and temple of Dictynna.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited August 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


NAXIA (Ancient city) ELOUNDA

Naxus

  or Naxus (Nachos, Suid. s. v.), a town of Crete, according to the Scholiast (ad Pind. Isth. vi. 107) celebrated for its whetstones. Hock (Kreta, vol. i. p. 417) considers the existence of this city very problematical. The islands Crete and Naxos were famed for their whetstones (Plin. xxxvi. 22; comp. xviii. 28), and hence the confusion. In Mr. Pashley's map the site of Naxos is marked near Spna Longa.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


OLOUS (Ancient city) ELOUNDA

Olus

  Olous, Oloulis, Eth. Oloutioi, Olouti. A town of Crete, the citizens of which had entered into a treaty with those of Lato. (Bockh, Inscr. vol. ii. No. 2554.) There was a temple to Britomartis in this city, a wooden statue of whom was erected by Daedalus, the mythical ancestor of the Daedalidae, and father of Cretan art. (Pausan. ix. 40. § 3.) Her effigy is represented on the coins of Olus. (Eckhel, vol. ii. p. 316; Mionnet, Descr. vol. ii. p. 289; Combe, Mus. Hunter.) There is considerable difficulty in making out the position of this town; but the site may probably be represented by Aliedha near Spina Longa, where there are ruins. Mr. Pashley's map erroneously identifies these with Naxos.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Non-profit organizations WebPages

ELOUNDA (Small town) LASSITHI


Perseus Project

OLOUS (Ancient city) ELOUNDA

Olus, Olous


The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

Olous

  On the W side of the Gulf of Mirabello, just N of Ag. Nikolnos, N coast of Crete. The remains of the ancient city lie on both sides of the isthmus which joins the peninsula of Spinalonga to the mainland; the area of the site is known as Poros.
  Ancient literary sources merely locate the site. In late sources (e.g. Notitiae) the name has been corrupted to Alyngos. Most of our knowledge of the city's history is derived from inscriptions of the Hellenistic period. In one of post 260 B.C. Olous appears as a subordinate ally of Knossos. A number of 3d and 2d c. inscriptions show the city's close relations with Rhodes; in particular, parts of a treaty between Rhodes and Olous dating from 201-200 have been discovered in recent years, by which Rhodes secured a great measure of control over Olous and her ports and anchorages, as she did over those of Hierapytna in the same year. Ptolemaic admirals had been honored at Olous at about the time of the Chremonidean war in the 260s. Olous does not appear among the cities of the Cretan koinon in the treaty with Eumenes II in 183, either because she was then subject to her neighbor Lato or because of her links with Egypt. A boundary dispute between Olous and Lato was referred to the Knossians for arbitration (117-116/116-115 B.C.); continuing wrangles led to Roman intervention and confirmation by the Senate of the Knossians' decision on the boundary line (ca. 113; see Sta Lenika).
  Coins of ca. 330-280 B.C. are known, depicting in particular the heads of Britomartis and Zeus Tallaios. The latter was clearly the chief deity of Olous, in whose temple many inscriptions were displayed; for the same reason the cult of Asklepios must also have been important. Pausanias (9.40.3) mentions a statue of Britomartis by Daidalos at Olous. None of their temples at Olous has been found.
  There is clear evidence that the site has been submerged by at least 2 m since antiquity, probably mainly as a result of land movements: by the actual isthmus some remains of houses are visible in shallow water. The channel at the isthmus was dug for the local fishermen by French sailors who occupied the area in 1897; their finds included the large stele now in the Louvre. The only ruins still clearly visible E of the isthmus are those of an Early Christian basilica with a mosaic in the nave.
  Few remains of the archaic and Classical periods have been found, but part of the massive E wall of the city still stood 6 courses high in the 19th c. Graeco-Roman sherds have been found at Kolokythia Bay on the E side of the peninsula, and at the N end of Spinalonga is an islet fortified by the Venetians; no earlier remains are visible. There are many rock inscriptions around the peninsula.
  West of the isthmus a few walls have been found, but the area served mainly as a cemetery. Graves with coffins or pithoi of the LM IIIB period have been found, and the Hellenistic necropolis with funerary inscriptions. Just to the N lies a significant Middle Minoan settlement, and a few Early Minoan pots have been found.
  Just within the territory of Olous, to the SW, a prominent hilltop bears remains of a fort of uncertain (ancient) date (Mt. Oxa). Farther N another fort at Stis Pines guarded the road to Dreros. Just S of Mt. Oxa lies the site of Sta Lenika in Latian territory.

D. J. Blackman, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.