Roman, and possibly earlier, settlement 1 km NE of the modern village. Remains on the site are confined to a heavy scatter of sherds, but a short distance to the NE are the remains of a fort built to defend Kantanos from the W. Traces of the defense wall, ending in a hollow circular bastion with inside entrance can be seen here.
K. Branigan, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
A city of Crete, of which the Coast-describer (Geogr. Graec. Min. vol. ii. p. 496), who, alone has recorded the name of the place, says that it was to the W. of Lissus and 30 stadia from Criu-Metopon. Mr. Pashley has fixed the site on the summit of the ridge between the vallies Kontokyneghi and Kantanos: on the W. and SW. sides of the city the walls may be traced for 300 or 400 paces; on the E. they extend about 100 paces; while on the S. the ridge narrows, and the wall, adapting itself to the natural features of the hill, has not a length of more than 20 paces. This wall is composed of polygonal stones, which have not been touched by the chisel.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!