Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "ELYROS
Information about the place (2)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
In antiquity the relative sea level was probably some 7.8 m higher; there would then have been the natural harbor attested by Skylax, which could have served as one of the ports of inland Elyros (the main one being Syia).
This is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Eluros: Eth. Elurios (Steph. B.). A town of Crete, which Scylax places
between Cydonia and Lissus. It had a harbour, Suia, (Steph. B.), situated on the
S. coast of the island, 60 stadia W. of Poecilassus. (Stadiasm.) Pausanias (x.
16. § 3) states: that the city. existed il his time in the mountains of Crete.
He adds that he had seen at Delphi the bronze goat which the Elyrians had dedicated,
and which was represented in the act of giving suck to Phylacis and Phylander,
children of Apollo and the nymph Acacallis, whose love had been won by the youthful
god at the house of Casmanor at Tarrha. It was the birthplace of Thaletas (Suid.
s. v.), who was considered as the inventor of the Cretic rhythm, the national
paeans and songs, with many of the institutions of his country. (Strab. x. p.
480.) Elyrus appears in Hierocles' list of Cretan cities, then reduced in number
to twenty-one. Mr. Pashley discovered the site at a Palaeokastron near Rhodovani.
The first object that presents itself is a building consisting of a series of
arches; next, vestiges of walls, especially on the N. and NE. sides of the ancient
city. The circuit of these must originally have been two miles; at a slight elevation
above are other walls, as of an acropolis. Further on are some massive stones,
some pieces of an entablature, and several fragments of the shafts of columns,
all that now remains of an ancient temple. Traces of the wall of Suia, which still
retains its ancient name, and of some public buildings, may be observed. Several
tombs, resembling those of Haghio-Kyrko, and an aqueduct, are still remaining.The
coins of this city have the type of a bee upon them.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.