SFENDALI (Ancient demos) MALAKASSA
Sphendale, a demus, at which Mardonius halted on his route from Deceleia to Tanagra. (Herod. ix. 15; Steph.; Hesych.) Hence it appears to have stood not far from the church of Aio Merkurio, which now gives name to the pass leading from Deceleia through the ridges of Parnes into the extremity of the Tanagraean plain. But as there is no station in the pass where space can be found for a demus, it stood probably at Malakasa, in a plain where some copious sources unite to form the torrent, which joins the sea one mile and a half east of the Skala of Apostolus. (Leake.) In the territory of Sphendale there was a hill, named Hyacinthus. (Suid. s. v. Parthenoi, where Sthendaleon should be read instead of Sthendonion.
This extract is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited August 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!