Από τα πιο κοσμοπολίτικα Ελληνικά Νησιά η ξακουστή Μύκονος δίκαια συγκεντρώνει το ενδιαφέρον μεγάλου αριθμού τουριστών απ' όλο το κόσμο με πολλόυς διανοούμενους και καλλιτέχνες ανάμεσά τους. Τα απόκρημνα βουνά που συναντάμε στις περισσότερες από τις Κυκλάδες, δίνουν εδώ τη θέση τους σε χαμηλούς βραχώδεις λόφους που μαζί με τα μαγευτικά ακρογιάλια χαρακτηρίζουν το φυσικό τοπίο του νησιού. Το γραφικό λιμάνι της Μυκόνου, εμπρός από το κομψό μέτωπο της παραθαλάσσιας Χώρας της, όπου οι ψαρόβαρκες και τα πολυτελή κότερα γειτονεύουν αρμονικά, παρουσιάζει διαφορετική εικόνα από τους περισσότερους αιγαιοπελαγίτικους οικισμούς. Ενώ εκείνοι είναι κτισμένοι αμφιθεατρικά σε πλαγιές και κορφές, αυτή απλώνεται σε επίπεδη διάσταση και παρουσιάζει μια άρρηκτη αισθητική συνοχή.
Γριζοπράσινοι βράχοι ζωσμένοι με φραγκοσυκιές, κάμποι στολισμένοι με αγριολούλουδα και ανάμεσά τους να ξεφυτρώνουν λευκά σοβατισμένα ξωκλήσια ή ανεμόμυλοι, χαρακτηρίζουν την μυκονιάτικη ύπαιθρο. Η πολυσύχναστη Μύκονος έχει όλα τα χαρακτηριστικά ενός σύγχρονου θέρετρου για όσους επιζητούν την έντονη κοσμική ζωή, ημερήσια και νυχτερινή. Υπάρχουν ωστόσο και ερημικές γωνιές, για τους θιασώτες των ήσυχων διακοπών.
Island in the Aegean Sea, one of the Cyclades, close to and NE of
Delos. Mentioned only in passing by ancient authors. The people were Ionians and
had legendary ties with Athens. Datis stopped there in 490 B.C. on his return
from Marathon (Hdt. 6.118), and the island is named as a Persian possession in
Aeschylus' Persians 885. It was a member of the Delian League, and paid a tribute
of one and a half talents, later reduced to one talent (ATL 1.346). It was also
a member of the second Athenian League from 376 B.C. on (IG II2 43 A 19) and of
the league of the Islanders in the early 3d c. (IG XI, 4.1040-41). The people
had a bad name for greed and avarice because they were poverty stricken and lived
on a wretched island (Ath. 1.8). Baldness was prevalent (Strab. 10.5.9). There
were close ties with Delos. Many Mykonians are mentioned in inscriptions of Delos,
and the Temple of Apollo had lands on the SW promontory of Mykonos.
There were originally two towns (Skylax 58), but they were merged into one ca. 200 B.C., as we learn from an important inscription recording a calendar of sacrifices (SIG3 1024). The principal town was perhaps on the site of the present town but there are few remains. A burial of the 7th c. B.C. in the center of the modern town, ca. 200 m from the waterfront, suggests that the ancient town was less extensive, since the burial was probably outside the town limits. This burial was in a large pithos with relief decoration, the Wooden Horse on the neck, scenes from the sack of Troy on the body. It is in the local museum. The location of the other town is not known. There are three towers in the SW, which probably belonged to farms.
E. Vanderpool, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Myconus (Mukonos: Eth. Mukonios: Mykono), a small island in the Aegaean sea, lying E. of Delos, and N. of Naxos. Pliny says (iv. 12. s. 22) that it is 15 miles from Delos, which is much greater than the real distance; but Scylax (p. 55) more correctly describes it as 40 stadia from Rheneia, the island W. of Delos. Myconus is about 10 miles in length, and 6 in its greatest breadth. It is in most parts a barren rock, whence Ovid gives it the epithet of humilis (Met. vii. 463); and the inhabitants had in antiquity a bad reputation on account of their avarice and meanness (Athen. i. p. 7; hence the proverb Mukonios geiton, Zenob. Prov. v. 21; Suidas, Hesch., Phot.). The rocks of Myconus are granite, and the summits of the hills are strewn with immense blocks of this stone. This circumstance probably gave rise to the fable that the giants subdued by Hercules lay under Myconus; whence came the proverb, to put all things under Myconus, applied to those who ranged under one class things naturally separate. (Strab. x. p. 487; Steph. B. s. v.) The tomb of the Locrian Ajax was also shown at Myconus. (Tzetz. ad Lycophr. 401.) Of the history of the island we have no account, except the statement that it was colonised from Athens, by the Nelide Hippocles. (Zenob. v. 17; Schol. ad Dionys. Per. ap. Geogr. Min. vol. iv. p. 37, Hudson.) Myconus is mentioned incidentally by Herodotus (vi. 118) and Thucydides (iii. 29). Ancient writers relate, as one of the peculiarities of Myconus, that the inhabitants lost their hair at an early age. (Strab. l. c.; Plin. xi. 37. s. 47; Myconi calva omnis juventus, Donat. ad Ter. Hecyr. iii. 4. 19.) The highest mountain, which is in the northern part of the island, has a summit with two peaks, whence it is called Dimastus by Pliny (iv. 12. s. 22). The promontory of Phorbia (phorbia, Ptol. iii. 15. § 29) was probably on the eastern side of the island. Scylax mentions two cities (Mukonos, haute dipolis, p. 22). Of these one called Myconus occupied the site of the modern town, which presents, however, scarcely any ancient remains. The name and position of the other town are unknown. The coins of Myconus are rare; and in general very few remains of antiquity are found in any part of the island. (Ross, Reisen auf den Griechischen Inseln, vol. ii. p. 28, seq.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited August 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
(Mukonos). A small island in the Aegaean Sea, one of the Cyclades, east of Delos, is celebrated in mythology as one of the places where the giants were defeated by Heracles. The island was popularly supposed to contain an unusual number of bald persons.
A Latin diocese of the Cyclades,
containing over 126 square miles. In ancient times it was called Hydrussa, i.e.
abounding in water, and Ophiussa because of the number of serpents which inhabited
it. Near the river there was a celebrated temple of Poseidon, discovered in 1902.
The island subjected itself to Xerxes at the time of his expedition against the Greeks, but afterwards defected to Salamis and Plataea; it became finally subject to Athens, afterwards to the Rhodians, to whom it was given by Marcus Antonius, later to the Romans.
It is not known when Christianity was established there. The bishopric was a suffragan of Rhodes in the seventh and tenth centuries; suppressed after the conquest of the island by the Venetians in 1207, it was re-established but as a metropolitan when Tinos passed into the power of the Turks in 1714. The metropolitan see was in its turn suppressed in 1833. Under the Venetian domination, which lasted from 1207 to 1714, Tinos had some Latin bishops. Little by little the island became almost completely Catholic. In 1781 it had 7000 Catholics dispersed throughout 32 villages; some were of the Latin, others of the Greek Rite. Under the Venetian domination the schismatics were dependent on a protopapas who in turn depended on the Patriachate of Constantinople.
The Latin bishopric, at first a suffragan of the Archbishopric of Rhodes, afterwards of Arcadi in Crete, is now a suffragan of Naxos. Since at least the year 1400, the title of Mykonos has been joined to its own; furthermore, the bishop administers the Diocese of Andros.
Tinos possesses an image of the Evanghelistria or of the Annunciation discovered in 1823 which attracts each year on 25 March and 15 August from 3000 to 4000 schismatic pilgrims.
S. Vailhe, ed.
Transcribed by: Thomas M. Barrett
This extract is cited June 2003 from The Catholic Encyclopedia, New Advent online edition URL below.
Λάβετε το καθημερινό newsletter με τα πιο σημαντικά νέα της τουριστικής βιομηχανίας.Εγγραφείτε τώρα!