Listed 10 sub titles with search on: History
for destination: "ANDROS
Andros itself had been colonized from Eretria. (C.E. Graves, Commentary on Thucydides: Book 4)
Colonizations by the inhabitants
In this area (Chalkidiki) there were five cities, of which some were Greek, being colonies from Andros
- Perseus: Diodorus Siculus, Library (ed. C. H. Oldfather, 1989).
The inhabitants founded the cities:
Sane, in Athos
Athos, a lofty mountain looking towards the Aegean sea. In it are various towns, Sane , an Andrian colony
- Perseus: Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War (ed. Richard Crawley, 1910)
Argilus , an Andrian colony
- Perseus: Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War (ed. Richard Crawley, 1910)
Like Argilos and Stagiros an Andrian foundation
Acanthus , a colony of the Andrians
- Perseus: Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War (ed. Richard Crawley, 1910)
One of the first inhabitants of Andros were the Phoenicians. According
to some historians, the capital of Andros was the Phoenician town of Arados which
later became Andros. Then came the Cretans whose leader was General Andros. One
of the most important civilizations of the island was developed in Zagora area
which reached its peak between 900-700 B.C. During the Archaic, Classical and
Hellenistic periods (600 B.C. -199 A.D.) Paleopolis (literally meaning the old
city) was the capital of the island. Andros contributed to this period with its
spiritual and material wealth and especially its naval strength. During the Roman
period, the island saw a decline with a small rise again during the years of the
During the years of the first Byzantine Emperor Constantinos, Andros
was part of the Empire. The basis for the prosperity in the area was the silkworm
trade which occupied most of the inhabitants who used the top floors of their
houses to cultivate the silkworms and to produce fine silk materials which were
in demand in the capitals of Greece and in Europe and European businessmen came
to the island to make their transactions.
After the fall of the Byzantine Empire by the Crusadors in 1204,
the Aegean was taken over by the Venetians. The island remained under the Venetian
rule until 1566 when it was seized by the Turks. The Venetians, in order to protect
the island from the pirates and the Turks, had built castles, towers and lookout
The Turks seize Andros in 1566 but due to privileges which were in
force from the beginning of the occupation, the island remained self-governing.
Greek schools in Andros started in the 18th century due to an attempt by the Ottoman
regime to be more liberal. In the churches and monasteries the priests and monks
taught the Greek language together with the values of western enlightenment and
along with this came the spiritual re-birth in the shape of Theophilos Kairis
who raised the flag for the National Revolution on the tower of the church of
St. George in Andros, on March 10th 1821.
During the second half of the 19th century a new bourgeois class
emerged made up from the families of those involved in the wealthy shipping business.
Ship captains built themselves up into ship-owners and their ships ( mostly with
names starting with Andros) made the name of Andros famous all over the world.
In the past 20 years, along with the shipping business and the rudimentary farming
business came the development of the tourist industry with all its positive and
negative aspects and which has peaked in the last ten years.
This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Association of Andros Municipalities URL below, which contains images.
The island owes its name to its first settler, one of the generals
of the Cretan king Rodamanthys, called Andros, who was given the island by his
sovereign. Being the son of Anios and grandson of Apollo, Andros was of divine
descent and his votive offering can still be found at the Oracle of Delphi. In
earlier times, the island had various other names: Nonagria, Hydrousa, Lassia
and Epagria, all descriptive of the physical appearance of the island, which in
those days was covered by dense forests, with a network of brooks and streams.
The island kept its name until the 13th century, when it was re-named
by the conquering Franks, who called it the Island of Saint Andreas after its
patron saint, whose name however has not been found in any of the island's historical
records. Originally, Andros was settled by subsequent waves of different peoples:
Kareans, Phoenicians, Minoan Cretans, Argeians, Egyptians, and finally Ionians
who settled here before the arrival of the Dorians.
Thanks to its fertile soil the island flourished, and during the
second Hellenic colonisation in the 8th century B.C. its inhabitants founded many
colonies along the coastline of the Chalkidiki peninsula and Thrace, including
Stagera, the birth place of Aristotle. Zagora, an important settlement of the
Geometric era (9th - 7th century B.C.), bears witness to the remarkable cultural
flourishing of this region. The island continued to thrive throughout the 6th
century B.C. when it constituted an independent state with its own coins.
During the Persian wars Andros was occupied for ten years by the
Persians, and following their defeat at Salamina, it became part of the Athenian
Alliance until the first Pelopponesian War, at the end of which it changed sides
and became an ally of Sparta. Today's old part of Andros Town (Palaeopolis) on
the west coast was then already the centre of the island and remained so until
the 4th century B.C.
In the Macedonian and Hellenistic wars Andros shared the fate of
the rest of the Cyclades, but in 199 B.C. it was occupied by the Romans who drove
the inhabitants out of the island and as far as Delios in Boiotia. The Romans
were initially interested only in the spills of war, but they eventually took
possession of the island in the 1st century B.C. when it became part of the Provinces
of the Islands.
From the beginning of the Byzantine era Andros distinguished itself
as a seat of learning and the neoplatonic philosopher Proklos (412-485) taught
there for many years. In the 9th century, presbyter Michael Psellos founded an
Academy of Philosophy on the island, where many Athenians were educated, including
the philosopher Leon, who became a great astronomer and geometrist of his time.
In the 11th and 12th century the island experienced an economic boom,
becoming the centre of silk-weaving industry and exporting exquisite velvet fabrics
known as examita or zentata, which were highly valued in the West and were sent
as gifts to the German imperial court. At the same time, during the entire Middle
Ages, the island suffered raids from pirates and Saracens. Following the fall
of the Byzantine Empire to the Franks in 1204, Andros was dominated by the Venetians
and ruled by Governor Marino Dandolo, followed by Governor Sanoudo and later by
various descendants of aristocratic families. At that time, many towers and forts
were erected on the island, and some partially survive until today.
In 1416 and 1468 Andros was attacked by the Turkish fleet and looted.
In 1537 it was taken over by Chaοreddin Barbarossa and subjected to Turkish taxes,
eventually becoming part of the Ottoman Empire in 1579.
Under the Ottoman rule the island was part of the Cyclades sanjak
(province) ruled by kaptan pasha (admiral of the fleet). Later it was bestowed
on the sultan's mother, Sultana Velide, and in 1774 on the sister of the future
Sultan Selim. At that time Andros had many privileges, as it was no longer directly
dependent on kaptan pasha and was ruled by various kodjabashis (local lords).
Turkish rule was temporarily interrupted by the Russian occupation of the Cyclades
On the 10th of May 1821, the renowned cleric and teacher of the nation
Theophilos Kaοris declared a revolution on Andros, and the island contributed
to the anti-Turkish revolutionary effort with substantial numbers of men and quantities
of provisions, as described in the historical records of the period. Two schools
were active on the island during the Ottoman rule: the School of Greek in Kato
Kastro (Chora) and the School of Agia Triada in Korthi.
This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Municipality of Andros URL below.
Andros island was very important in ancient times, thanks to its wealth,
both material and intellectual, but most af all thanks to its naval power.
A few stone and bronze age findings testify the existence of prehistoric
settlements in the island. Our knowledge comes from mythology. The founder and
first king of the island was Andros. The island was later colonized by Pelasgians.
During historic times the island was inhabited by Ionians, who possibly
came from Athens, as
Thoukydidis records. Latin Plinius the senior preserved some of the names, the
poets were calling the island. According to Myrtilos it was called Gavros and
later Antandros. Kallimachos calls it Lasia, others Hydrousa and others Nonagriam
and Epagrim (the last two meaningless words in greek). These names represent physical
characteristics of the island, vegetation, water, etc.
Significant information about Andros during Geometric Time, comes
from the discovery of an important settlement, rare for the time period, in the
area of Zagora. The
settlement flourished during 700-500 B.C. and, as it seems, vanished abruptly.
In Zagora were found 45 rectangular rooms with storage areas and
yards, built with the andriotic all-time stone material, schist. Floors were covered
with a layer of compressed mortar, as was common technique till recently. The
layers of mortar at the roof were supported by wooden beams and schist plates.
An important building of the settlement was the later-built temple,
which was probably dedicated for the worship of Goddess Athena.
During 7th century B.C. Andros was the metropolis of four important
colonies in the areas of Chalkidiki and Strymon bay, in northern Greece. These
were Akanthos, Sani,
Stagiros and Argilos.
According to Herodotus, during Persian Wars the Andriots, as well as the other
islanders, seem to have been with the Persian side, offering "soil and water"
The center during Classical Times, main city and information center
to us, is the settlement, which was built at the present town of Paleopolis. The
town seems to have been established around 700 B.C., when Zagora was abandoned.
No systematic excavations have been made yet. Two findings by chance are very
important, Hermes of Andros (Hellenistic copy) and the hymn to Goddess Isis, the
latter still being used as a door lintel in a house in Paleopolis.
There was also an acropolis, port, agora (market) and sufficient fortification.
About 60 silver and bronze coins have been found, many of which portray Dionysos,
loved God in Andros.
During Peloponnesian War Andros lined up with its allies, Athenians,
offering ships and soldiers. As a member of the Athenian Alliance, Andros was
paying 72000 drachmas (12 talanta), as an island tax to the alliance fund.
In 411 B.C. Andriots broke away from Athens, lined up with Sparta,
but came back and participated in the 2nd Athenian Alliance in 378 B.C.
After the battle in Haeronia
in 338 B.C., where they fought allied with Athenians, the city-state of Andros
came under Macedonian rule.
During Hellenistic historic period, which follows the death of Alexander
the Great, Andros was under direct Macedonian control and participated in the
islands community. Between 315 B.C. and 31 B.C., was consecutively under roman,
macedonian, ptolemean and second macedonian, under Dimitrios, rule. In 199 B.C.
roman and pergamean troops landed, sieged and captured Paleopolis. Andros was
under Pergamos of Attalides till was given to the Romans. Important monument of
hellenistic times is the Agios Petros Tower.
In early Byzantine period Andros was an administrative part of Islands
Prefecture (capital Rodos). Christianity was spread from the first centuries to
The geographical position on the main sea route towards Constantinople
and the protection needs of the empire from arab pirate attacks, made Andros an
important administration center of the Aegean Sea Province (Thema) and base of
empire customs. Accordingly was the economic and intellectual prosperity of this
We know that about 820 A.C. Leon the Mathematician was instructed
rhetoric, philosophy and mathematics in Andros, studing at the same time the rich
monastery libraries of the island.
12th century, period of Komninon reign, is the best documented for
the island. Valuable sourses of information are the foreign travellers who stopped
there, on their trip to Holy Lands.
Anglosaxon Seawurf, who passed from Andros in 1204, informs us that
silk industry was the main occupation of the inhabitants. Most prized were mainly
the andriotic sixtimes-woven silk textiles. heavy and luxurious, and the fine-wooven
"zentata" and "skindalia", fine golden threads.
Despite of the general prosperity we know that enemy raids continued.Venetians,
Normands and Genoats repeatedly attacked and ravaged the place.
After the fall of Constantinople by the crusaders, Andros came in
Venetian hands. In 1207 it was given to Marino Dandolo, relative of the Doge of
Venice and stayed under their rule till 1566. In order to protect the island from
consecutive pirate attacks and the Turks, Venetians built defensive castles and
First and main fort of Dandolo, military and administrative center
of the Venetian conqueror, was Mesa Kastro (Inner Castle), which was the first
core of the later Kato Kastro-Castel a basso (Lower Castle), the middle-age settlement
of present day Chora.
Present name Riva comes from Venetian times, since in that area was the main dock
Verified byzantine churches in Andros are:
•Taxiarchis in Messaria
•Taxiarchis in Melida
•Taxiarchis in Ipsilou (11th century)
•Panagia (Virgin Mary) in Mesathuri (12th century)
•Agios Nikolaos in Korthi
Byzantine fortifications probably existed in present day Kastro Faneromenis
(Faneromeni Castle) above Kochylou, whereas tower ruins exist up in Melida village,
as well as in the base of the small church of Agia Sofia in Pachykavos in Ormos.
The second byzantine fortification, which is considered bigger and
stronger, was Epano Kastro-Castel del alto (Upper Castle). Some coincide Epano
Kastro with present day Kastro Faneromenis, while others place it in Paleokastro
area, above Ormos. In
19th century were still visible in the area ruins of fortifications, houses, churches,
cisterns and wells.
Smaller castles and fortifications were spread all over the island.
Their ruins are visible up to date. Some of them are the Pirgos Makrotantalou
(Makrotantalo Tower), Briokastro in Varidi, Kastellaki in Gides.
During the Venetian rule also took place the settlement of Albanians,
who mainly settled in the northern part of Andros.
Venetian catalogue of 1470 reports that Andros is inhabited by 2000
people, while ottoman report of 1567 mentions 1800 roman-greek and albanian houses
and 50-60 Frank houses.
Ottoman occupation of Andros took place in 1566, in accordance with
the opinion of the inhabitants. This fact, of the willing subordination, gave
the island special privileges. The real administration till 17th century was exercised
by descendants of byzantine, frank and andriot families, who had adopted the feudalistic
Andros had a favourable treatment by the Ottomans even later. From
18th century belonged as "malikanes", a sort of feud, to Vadile Sultana
and in 1778 to Selim's the 3rd sister, Sach Sultana.
Andriots payed predetermined taxes and were excluded from forced
work and other payments, were protected from possible ottoman interventions, had
secured free trade and their rights of succession.
Between 1770 and 1777 Andros, as well as the rest of Cyklades, was
controlled by the Russians, through a local ruler called kantzillieris. After
the withdrawal of the Russians it was introduced in Andros the institution of
"kotzambasi". Kotzambasis in Kato Kastro (Lower Castle) and Korthi were
rich elder landowners. Most of the times were elected for one year and were the
real governors in Andros.
The economy of the island continued to be agricultural, but in Kato
Kastro had evolved a new class of sailors called "gemitzides", who in
19th century raised their own claims. In 1813 Andros had 40 ships with a tonnage
of 2800 tons and about 400 sailors.
In the first years of the Ottoman occupation, the operation of a school
is reported, founded in 17th century by Capuchin monks. In 1768 the Archbishop
of Andros, Dionysios Kairis, created the "School of Greek Literature".
In 1814 was established in Korthi the school of Agia Triada.
In May 1821 after a people assembly, the participation of Andriots in the
Greek War for Independance was decided, with contribution of soldiers, money and
battle ships. From 1822 till 1828 social movements broke out in the island, like
the one led by Dimitrios Balis, with main reason the unbearable taxes imposed
by the local rulers.
At the same time the island suffered from landings of undisciplined
troops called "liapides", who terrorised mainly the villagers.
In Ottoman times the rapid growth of shipping in Andros is observed,
which after 1880 transformed from sail to steam powered, according to the new
demands. Andriot shipping managed to overcome the crisis of both World Wars and
constitutes up todate a main source of wealth for the island.
This text is cited March 2005 from the Municipality of Korthi URL below, which contains images.