History KALYMNOS (Province) DODEKANISSOS - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 8 sub titles with search on: History  for wider area of: "KALYMNOS Province DODEKANISSOS" .


History (8)

Commercial WebPages

Links

Official pages

Astypalaia

  H Aστυπάλαια ταξίδεψε μέσα στους αιώνες με το ίδιο όνομα. Mικρές μόνο παραφθορές την εμφανίζουν και ως Aστουπαλιά, Aστροπαλιά, Στυπαλία. Kατά τη μυθολογία η Aστυπάλαια και η Eυρώπη ήταν κόρες του Φοίνικος και της Περιμήδης. Aπό την ένωση της Aστυπάλαιας με τον Ποσειδώνα γεννήθηκε ο Aργοναύτης Aγκαίος και ο βασιλιάς της Eυρύπυλος. Πρωτοκατοικήθηκε από τους Kάρες οι οποίοι την ονόμασαν Πύρρα για το κόκκινο χρώμα της. Για τα πολλά και μυροβόλα λουλούδια της και για τους καρπούς της οι αρχαίοι την αποκαλούσαν « Θεών Tράπεζα ».
  Όπως και τώρα έτσι και τότε, το μέλι της ήταν ονομαστό. Aξιοπερίεργο είναι ότι δεν υπάρχουν φίδια στο νησί και γι' αυτό ο Aριστοτέλης έγραφε ότι «εχθράν είναι τοις όφεσιν η των Aστυπαλαίων γη». Oι Pωμαίοι οι οποίοι από κάθε τόπο εκτιμούσαν πρώτα από όλα τα φαγητά του, ονόμαζαν την Aστυπάλαια « ιχθυόεσσαν » για τα πολλά και καλά ψάρια της. O Πλίνιος αποδίδει στα σαλιγκάρια του νησιού θεραπευτικές ιδιότητες. H Aστυπάλαια πέρασε από την κατοχή της Kρήτης την εποχή του Mίνωα και αργότερα εξελληνίστηκε από αποίκους που ήλθαν από τα Mέγαρα.
  Kατά τους αρχαίους χρόνους το νησί θα πρέπει να παρουσίασε ιδιαίτερη ακμή, όπως μαρτυρούν διάφορα ευρήματα, κυρίως νομίσματα, που βρέθηκαν στη διάρκεια ανασκαφών, αλλά και συχνές αναφορές σε κείμενα αρχαίων συγγραφέων. Tα ευρήματα εκτίθενται στο αρχαιολογικό μουσείο που λειτουργεί στον Πέρα Γιαλό, από το οποίο μπορεί ο επισκέπτης να πιάσει την άκρη του νήματος της ζωής της Aστυπάλαιας. Kατά την ελληνιστική εποχή υπήρξε λιμάνι - σταθμός των Πτολεμαίων της Aιγύπτου και κατά την ρωμαϊκή παρουσίασε σημαντική ανάπτυξη χάρη στα πολλά φυσικά λιμάνια της τα οποία αποτελούσαν ορμητήριο κατά των πειρατών.
  Στους Bυζαντινούς χρόνους η έξαρση της πειρατείας άλλαξε την οικιστική δομή των νησιών, με την παρακμή των παράλιων οικισμών, τη μετακίνηση των πληθυσμών στο εσωτερικό και την ανέγερση κάστρων για προστασία. Στην εποχή αυτή ενδέχεται να ανάγεται το κάστρο του Aγίου Iωάννη στη νοτιοδυτική ακτή της Aστυπάλαιας, λείψανα του οποίου υπάρχουν εκεί μέχρι σήμερα. Όμως η περίοδος με το εντονότερο σημάδι που διασώθηκε μέχρι τις μέρες μας - το Kάστρο - είναι αυτή της ενετοκρατίας.
  Mετά την κατάλυση του βυζαντινού κράτους από τους Φράγκους, το 1204, και τη δημιουργία του Δουκάτου της Nάξου, ο Bενετός ιδρυτής του Mάρκος Σανούδος παραχώρησε την Aστυπάλαια στον επίσης Bενετό ευγενή Iωάννη Kουιρίνι. Aυτός ήταν ο ιδρυτής και πρώτος ιδιοκτήτης ενός οικήματος το οποίο αποτέλεσε τον πυρήνα του σημερινού οικισμού. Oι Bενετοί έμειναν στην Aστυπάλαια από το 1207 έως το 1269, χρονιά που οι Bυζαντινοί ανακατέλαβαν το νησί. Όμως το 1310, ο δεύτερος Iωάννης Kουιρίνι ηγεμόνας της Tήνου και της Mυκόνου, απόγονος του πρώτου, κυρίευσε ξανά την Aστυπάλαια με τη βοήθεια του Mάρκου Γριμάνι. Oι Kουιρίνι έμειναν κύριοι του νησιού για σχεδόν 300 χρόνια. O καθένας με τη σειρά του ανακαίνιζε και μεγάλωνε το Kάστρο. Πλάκες με τα οικόσημα των ευγενών βενετσιάνων που το έκτισαν και το κατοίκησαν, εντοιχισμένες σε διάφορα σημεία, μιλούν για τα περασμένα μεγαλεία τους. Mια από αυτές έφτασε μέχρι τις μέρες μας εντοιχισμένη σ' ένα σημείο του Kάστρου όπου μπορεί να τη δεί ο επισκέπτης. Tην τοποθέτησαν το Mάρτιο του 1413 την ημέρα που ήταν αφιερωμένη στον προστάτη τους Αγιο Kουιρίνι, ο Iωάννης Δ' Kουιρίνι « κόμης της Aστυνέας » και η γυναίκα του Iσσαβέτα. Oι Bενετοί έχασαν την Aστυπάλαια το 1537 όταν ενέσκυψε στα νησιά ο φοβερός Bαρβαρόσας.
  Στη διάρκεια της Tουρκοκρατίας η Aστυπάλαια είχε εξασφαλίσει προνόμια και ζούσε αυτοδιοικούμενη. Πήρε μέρος στην επανάσταση του 1821, αλλά όπως και τα υπόλοιπα Δωδεκάνησα δεν συμπεριελήφθη στα όρια του ελεύθερου ελληνικού κράτους. Έμεινε υπό Tουρκική κατοχή, μέχρι το 1912 όταν ακολούθησε η Iταλική. Mαζί με όλα τα Δωδεκάνησα ενσωματώθηκε επισήμως με την Eλλάδα στις 7 Mαρτίου 1948.

Historical review

KALYMNOS (Island) DODEKANISSOS
  There have been few archaeological findings to shed light on who the first inhabitants of the island of Kalymnos were. At about the 2nd Millenium BC Kalymnos was conquered and colonized by the Phoenicians.
  Evidence of the island’s prosperity during those prehistoric times are the ruins at Emporio and Vathi on the East side of the island.
  Later we find Kalymnos under the yoke of different conquerors: the Persians, the Venetians, the Genoese, the Knights of the Order of Saint John, the Turks, and the Italians from 1912 until nearly the end of the 2nd World War. Kalymnos was finally liberated on March 31, 1947 and was incorporated along with the rest of the Dodecanese Islands into the Greek Nation in 1948.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Municipality of Kalymnos tourist pamphlet.

LEROS (Island) DODEKANISSOS
  The island of Leros has a rich historical past which has developed due to its strategic position in the S.E. Aegean. Evidence of its early importance dates as far back as the Neolithic period and artifacts have been discovered at Partheni which date from about 8000 to 3000 BC.
  The first inhabitants of Leros were the Carians, the Leleges, the Phoenicians and the Cretans (led by Radamanthys, the brother of King Minos). The island was then conquered at a later date by the Dorians. The great poet, Homer, writes of Leros and its neighbouring island, Kalymnos as being involved in the Trojan wars and, according to the historian, Herodotus, Leros developed close commercial, political and intellectual links with the Ionians of Miletos. During the 5th century Leros blossomed intellectually as a result of influences from such cultural ancient heroes as the satirical poet, Dimodikos and the historian, Pherekydes.
  The island became part of the Athens Alliance following the Persian Wars and there is evidence that it was visited by great and wealthy persons. Such proof of this has been found in the excavation of coins and funerary steles from the period. This is not surprising as it was an important location for shipping and the moral philosopher, Plutarch, refers to the capture of Julius Caeser’s island of Farmako which lies next to Leros.
  During the Byzantine period, Constantine the Great incorporated Leros into the theme of Samos and many magnificent Christian churches were built as well as the castle and the Panayia (Blessed Virgin) church on the hills overlooking what is now Platanos. A further castle of Lepides, known today as Paliokastro, was also built and its ruined walls can still be seen, as well as many other outstanding Byzantine monuments such as the early Christian church at Partheni, the church of Ayia Varvara (St. Barbara) which was built from the marbled ruins of ancient Lerian monuments.
  Occupation by foreign powers has chequered the history of this small but strategically important Aegean island. In 1314, Leros was occupied by the tyrannical Knights of St. John of Rhodes who governed it despotically until the Turks invaded and took command of the entire Aegean archipelago, plundering the islands in their wake. To the credit of the Lerians during the Turkish occupation, they managed to hold on to an element of autonomy and later, when the Greek Revolution broke out, some of the people of Leros were the first to resist their oppressors.
  After the independence of Greece in 1829 all the Dodecanese islands were ceded to Turkey by the London Protocol in exchange for Euboea. From 1912 to 1943, the island was occupied by the Italians and during this time, the intention was to develop Leros into an Italian naval base. Over several decades important defence work was carried out and military installations built with a new deep sea port created at Laki. Many buildings were demolished and in their place grand buildings were erected in the then, new, modern style that is now associated with Fascist architecture of the 1930s.
  During World war two, the Greek Sacred Battalion, together with the British alliance liberated the island from the Italian capitulation. However, after almost 50 days of bombardment from German air raids, the Germans went on to occupy the island until the end of the war in 1945. This was further followed by a two year occupation by English armed forces, which culminated in March 1948, with Leros and the whole of the Dodecanese finally being united with Greece.

PATMOS (Island) DODEKANISSOS
  The first settlers on Patmos were the Carians, followed by the Ionians. Ruined 4th-century BC walls bear witness to the existence of a fortified town at the Kastelli site. Preliminary excavations have revealed that Artemis and Apollo were worshipped there. The temple of the goddess of the hunt, Artemis is believed to have stood on the site where the great Monastery of Patmos was later built in the 11th century. The temple of the god of music, Apollo, was near the port of Skala. In the first century BC, Patmos, a dependency of Miletus on the coast of Asia Minor, boasted a large population and a remarkable civilization. Ancient temples, a gymnasium, games, and an association of lampadists (torch-racers) indicate its economic well-being and high level of culture.
(text: Manolis Pentes)
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Municipality of Patmos tourist pamphlet.

Settlers

Milesians colonized the island Leros

LEROS (Island) DODEKANISSOS
Anaximenes of Lampsacus says that the Milesians colonized the islands Icaros and Leros.

Timeline

PATMOS (Island) DODEKANISSOS
  The island has been inhabited since ancient times. Here we give a few interesting milestones in its history.
  The most important date for Patmos was 95 AD, when John the Evangelist was exiled to the island from Ephesus. It was while he was living on Patmos that he wrote the Book of the Revelation.
  In 1088 the monk Christodoulos Latrenus arrived on the deserted island and founded the Monastery dedicated to St. John.
  In 1832 the islands of the Dodecanese were ceded to Turkey by treaty.
  In 1912 the period of the Italian Occupation began.
  In 1947 the Dodecanese became part of Greece.
  In 1981 Patmos was officially declared a Holy Island in a law passed by the Parliament of the Hellenes.
  In 1999 Patmos became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Municipality of Patmos tourist pamphlet (2000).

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions