The village of Drosero was founded in the early 19th century under
the name "Ashar Bey" that means "The gallows of the Bey".
It owes, this unusual name, at the Bey that had his seat in the village and as
bloodthirsty he was, he had turned hangings and executions over into an everyday
routine. His lodging was at the eastern side of the village nearby the old church
of Agios Athanasios. Until 1913, when Macedonia was liberated, many Turkish families
lived in the village. At the point where the Primary School is built, used to
be a Turkish cemetery.
In 1922 sheltered permanently in the village refugees from the villages Taifiri of Eastern Thrace and Iraklio of Nikomidia in Asia Minor, while in 1925 Vlachs came. It is said that the name "Drosero" (cool) was given to the village when some passing by people who sat at the square of the village to rest, extolled the fresh air blowing at the moment. The village used to be the headquarters of the area in the early of the 20th century. Since 1912 have been operating in Drosero, Police Station, Community Clinic and Primary School.
In 1940 came to the village the German occupation troops. After their withdrawal in 1944, the civil war broke out, affecting dramatically Drosero's fortune. In February 1946 the residents left the village and settled down in the neighboring villages and Giannitsa. In 3-7-1947 almost the whole village got burnt, except of about ten houses and the church. The residents returned in 1950 and rebuilt the village from the beginning.
This text is cited June 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!