gtp logo

Location information

Listed 8 sub titles with search on: History  for wider area of: "GALATADES Small town GIANNITSA" .

History (8)

Official pages

  It's unspecified when the village was founded and what was its Greek name. Turks called it "Dort Armout", that means Four Pear Trees, probably because of the four very high trees that there were in the village. Its old position was at the area known as "Voudolivado". On the road there was a well known inn belonging to a Palmer from Kastoria, where all the travelers were welcomed. Its ruins were saved until 1954, when they were pulled down because of the land distribution. At the current position of the church of Agios Dimitrios, used to be the lodging of the Albanian Bey and around of it was built the village by residents of the neighboring settlements. Because of the bey’s power, which excelled even the Turkish police, in the village found shelter chased away Christians. Later on, thieves and hoodlums came and they worked to bey's fields in return to their protection.
  An English (1876) as well as a German traveler report the existence of the village with the inn and the cemetery, which was the only one in the area. The destruction of the cemetery in 1989 brought into sight a tombstone with the date "1800" and Greek names. Old people also mention the existence of three hills of 3 meters height, in 200 meter's distance one from the other. It is believed that during the Byzantine Empire they were used for the transmission of information with fire. Two of them are saved until today, of which the one is destroyed.
  200 meters from the village, there was the church of Agios Georgios, surrounded by towering trees. During the Russian - Turkish war, Turkish reservists of the neighboring towns, on their way to Andrianoupolis, stayed in the village. Among the plunder they committed on their way, is also the destruction of the church in 1877. At that time only a few families lived in the village, because cholera had decimated the population. Founder of the village is regarded to be Mr. Papantoniou from the village Notia of Almopia, who in order to evade islamization went to Valtolivado together with other Christians from Aridea and later settled in Agios Georgios.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below

  The village of Drosero was founded in the early 19th century under the name "Ashar Bey" that means "The gallows of the Bey". It owes, this unusual name, at the Bey that had his seat in the village and as bloodthirsty he was, he had turned hangings and executions over into an everyday routine. His lodging was at the eastern side of the village nearby the old church of Agios Athanasios. Until 1913, when Macedonia was liberated, many Turkish families lived in the village. At the point where the Primary School is built, used to be a Turkish cemetery.
  In 1922 sheltered permanently in the village refugees from the villages Taifiri of Eastern Thrace and Iraklio of Nikomidia in Asia Minor, while in 1925 Vlachs came. It is said that the name "Drosero" (cool) was given to the village when some passing by people who sat at the square of the village to rest, extolled the fresh air blowing at the moment. The village used to be the headquarters of the area in the early of the 20th century. Since 1912 have been operating in Drosero, Police Station, Community Clinic and Primary School.
  In 1940 came to the village the German occupation troops. After their withdrawal in 1944, the civil war broke out, affecting dramatically Drosero's fortune. In February 1946 the residents left the village and settled down in the neighboring villages and Giannitsa. In 3-7-1947 almost the whole village got burnt, except of about ten houses and the church. The residents returned in 1950 and rebuilt the village from the beginning.

This text is cited June 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below

  The village of Galatades is one of the oldest in the area. This is based on the old church of Agios Athanasios where there is an icon of Virgin's Annunciation with the year 1806 written on it. The village is built in higher elevation than the surrounding areas and it was protected from the water of the bog which there was in its south side. That way, in 1979 when the area was flooded by the water of the Moglenitsas river, the village of Galatades was like an island in a lake.
  The old name of Galatades was Kadinovo. This name comes from the Turkish adjudicator (kadis in Turkish) who had his residence in the village. Kadinovo became a community on 28-6-1918 with the headquarters in Kariotissa and concluded the villages Mparinovo (Liparo), Prisna (Krya Vrysi), Plougar (does not exist any more), Kariotissa and Losanovo (Palefito). According to the census of the year 1920 Kadinovo had 320 residents, who dealt with the agriculture and stockbreeding.
  During the Macedonian Struggle, the village fighters of the families Stogiannidis and Harisiadis used to meet at Narisidis' house and under the leadership of the chieftain Gonos Giotas, they planned their activities against Turks and Bulgarians. Gonos Giotas' father came from Galatades and he had a hovel-base of operations in the bog, at the point Prisna. During the liberation of the village on 18-10-1918 Turks killed two Greek mounted soldiers. The residents buried them in the village and set a hero's tomb for them.
  In 1924 refugees came from the village Examili of the Kallipoli peninsula of Eastern Thrace. The name of the village changed into Galatades (Milkmen) because of the great milk production of that time. The vastly area of the bog was ideal for the breeding of the 9.000 cows and even more sheep and goats that the residents had. Galatades became a separate community on 25-8-1933 and it has a steady increase of population. In 1928 it had 846 residents, in 1940 it had 1286, in 1961 it had 1684 and in 1991 it had 2039 residents. Today, it is the biggest village of the municipality with about 2300 residents. In Galatades has been functioned a school since the close of the 19th century. The residents report that the first teacher was Christ Doumis. A clinic functioned in the village as well, by the doctor Mr. Tselios from Thessaloniki. After the exsiccation of the Giannitsa lake, in the mid '30s, the residents of the Plougar village moved in Galatades and Krya Vrysi equally.
  The history of Galatades changed dramatically the last 35 years. The year 1970 is a milestone in village's evolution, because that year Philopimin Gratsios brought to Galatades the cultivation of asparagus. The successful cultivation and the higher quality of the local asparagus, made Galatades the "capital" of the production and trade of the Greek asparagus. Finally, an other point of report for Galatades, is the year 1998, when it was appointed to be the headquarters of the newly established Municipality of Alexander the Great.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below

  The church of Agios Athanasios (1851) bears witness to the age of Gypsohori. Unfortunately, there are no written records about its history. Nobody knows precisely how Gypsohori named after. According to a version, this name is ascribed to Bey’s daughter, Yupsan, who lived in the village. The whole settlement was assigned by this name. Later, the village was named Yupsovo. At the point, where the town square is situated nowadays, there was the Bey's lodgings. It was a big, two-storey building that was pulled down in the mid years of 20th century. It's said that there was a second lodging at the entrance of the village.
  During the Macedonian Struggle, the residents had intensively participated in the attempt for freedom of the area from Turkish and Bulgarian rule. In the exceptional historical novel "In the secrets of the bog" by Penelope Delta, many names of fighters from Gypsohori are reported. In 1928 refugees from the Black Sea area moved to the village. The community of Gypsohori was constituted in 1951 and it included the settlement of Trifili. However, in 1977 the authorities were transported to Trifili and the new community of Trifili was constituted, including the village of Gypsohori as a settlement.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below

  The Old Kariotissa was situated at the shore of the lake of Giannitsa 5km southern from present place of the village. Kariotissa was the head of Kadinovo community since 28-6-1918. There were 50 families at the village with the population of 293 residents according to the census of 1920. The self-sufficiency was the main characteristic of their lives. They were dealing with agriculture and stockbreeding. There was plenty of hunting and timber in the bog, which were covering their needs. Very impressive were three hills of 20m height in the village, which were used by the Turkish people as observation posts and four "koules" (mansions) which only one of them is still standing.
  In July of 1924 they moved to the new location of the present village, refugees from Neohori of Zerkos province in Eastern Thrace, according to the treaty of Lausanne (1923) about the exchange of the populations between Greece and Turkey. Their life in Neohori and the adventure of the refugees is described beautifully in the book "1924-1999, 75 years of the community of New Kariotissa" which was published by the Cultural Association of the village. The situations the about 850 refugees faced in this boggy place were tragical. The release of the place from malaria achieved by the drying of the lake in 1935, raised the births and gave the opportunity to the people of the village to have new wealthy land. After the German occupation, the modernization of Kariotissa was continues and with 1798 residents in 1961, Kariotissa became the headquarters of the area, with a Police Station, a Post Office and a Medical Centre.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains image

  There is based information for the existence of the settlement of Liparo in 1357 from the recording that took place in the years of the Byzantine Empire by the name Liparino and 210 houses. The settlement was in the area "Beker", where there is a tomb of the Macedonian years. In 1840 the near river Moglenitsas overflowed causing great disaster and the drowning of babies. So, the settlement was translocated in the present position of 10 metres elevation. At that time, in the village there were 15 Greek and 500 Turkish families.
  The name "Beker" is the Turkish name of the name Dimitrios. The local tradition reports that Dimitrios was a Greek christian, servant of the Turkish Bey. He was proposed to change his religion because he was said to perform miracles and there was a fear for revolution of the christians. Dimitrios refused and the Turkish killed him. They burried him in that area and untill today it is believed that the soil of his grave helps people with dermatological diseases etc.
  The time of 1928-30 there were placed into the village refugees from the Black Sea area and in 1935 Vlachs came from Aetomilitsa of Epirus. Liparo, by the name Liparinovo or Barinovo and 154 residents formed the community of Kadinovo in 28-6-1918, with the villages of Prisna, Plougar, Kariotissa, Losanovo and Kadinovo. Later, it consisted a community with the villages of Dafni and Agios Georgios, untill 1967, when it became an independent community.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below

  At a short distance from the current position of the village there was the Bey's lodgings and all around it there were the shacks of the Turkish, who were in his hire. Until 1920 Lozanovo, such as Palefyto was named, belonged to the community of Kadinovo and it had 202 residents, mostly shepherds. In 1922 refugees from Kydia of Prousa (Asia Minor) came to the area, chased from the Turkish, after the disaster of Smyrna.
  Tradition wants the residents of Kydia and the other eight villages that were beside the lake, to descend from captured families of Mani. The news that they received in 1922 for the coming of the Turkish, lead them southwest, to the ports of Smyrna. But, at their way, happend to meet a very beautiful woman on a horse, who prevented them to continue and so they made for Panormos. Some said that she was the daughter of pasha of the area, others said that she was the Virgin Mary that saved them from certain slaughter. Recent researches confirm the existence of the Sultana, who was christian because of her Serbian lineage.
  The exchange of the population between Greece and Turkey in 1924, led to Palefito the residents of Petrohori, a village in the Chataltza area in Eastern Thrace. In the beggining, the conditions were unbearable and the cohabitation was difficult. However, their common aim for survival, set aside all the differences and the devotion of all the residents to the cultivation of this fertile land, improved Palefyto.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below

  In the beggining of the last century Trifiltsovo, such as Trifili was named, had a few houses and was surrounded by bogs. The areas of Tsaira and Nisi, western of the village, constituted Roumani, a place of bushy sprouting and many springs of water. The river Mpalitzas passes from the east side of the village, where there was a bog with a great variety of fauna. After the drying of the bog, the land was shared to the residents and until now consists the most fertile area of the community. In 1922 refugees from the Black Sea area came to the village and in 1924 more refugees came from Thrace.
  The residents dealt with stockbreeding and the cultivation of trefoil, sesame, corn, wheat, vine, mulberry and the production of cocoons of silk and wine. The settlement belonged to the community of Drosero until 1951, when it became a member of the community of Gypsohori. In 1977 was created the community of Trifili with the settlement of Gypsohori. Since 1948, when Drosero was burned, until 1955 the police station of Drosero functioned in Trifili. In 60's - 70's there was a strenuous immigration of the residents to Germany, America and Australia.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures