Οlympiada was founded in 1924, after by the refugees that came here from Saint Kiriaki in Asia Minor after their exil in 1922. According to historians, this region is the most important in Halkidiki because here ancient Stagira once stood. Ancient Stagira is found East of Olympiada at a distance of 700 metres, in an area called Liotopi. That is where, in 1990, the important archaeological excavations took place. By King Kassandros command, Olympiada, mother of Alexander the Great, was exiled from ancient Stagira and sent to the island of Kapros (Boar) which is found opposite current Olympiada. The island of Kapros is also reported by the ancient geographer Stravona. He also mentioned that the harbour of the city carried the same name. During the Turkish domination the harbour of Olympiada was used for the pressuring of timber. In this area, there were certain huts, in which the refugees took shelter after their arrival.
This text is cited March 2004 from the Municipality of Stagira-Akanthos URL below
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!