CRETE (Island) GREECE
In Crete the sun shines three hundred days a year. The mild and tolerable winter lasts from three to four months. The sun is often so hot that, as one journalist wrote, the very palm-trees feel at home in Crete. The most delightful time of year is spring or autumn. Snow, unknown on the plains, along the coast and in the towns is seen only on the White Mountains, on Psiloreitis and on the Siteia Mountains during the winter season.
(text: MANOLIS DOULGERAKIS & UTE SCHACHTELE)
This text (extract) is cited February 2004 from the Heraklio Hoteliers Association tourist pamphlet.
LAPPEI (Municipality) RETHYMNO
Nature must have been in a very good mood when it created landscapes such as the Argiroupoli springs, the immense sandy beach of Episkopi, the area of "Five Virgins", the gorges, the forests and the mountains of the area. The interchanges of the landscapes are constant. Starting form the sea and the calm and fertile scenery of the plains and going up higher and to the south we reach the massif to which nature has given such a form that with aspect of imagination it could resemble a giant or a human figure.
Here the beauty is wild and the view enchanting. But in the open handily gifted by nature region of the Municipality of Lappaioi even the most special interests can be satisfied.
- The visitor can swim in the awarded (with the EEC’s golden star) beach of Episkopi.
- He can also visit the Argiroupoli springs, the area of the Five Virgins and enjoy the magnificent scenery.
- Visit the gorgeous lake of Kourna and the cave of the area which was discovered in 1961.
- He can also walk along the beautiful gorges of Petre, of Kato Poros, of Vilantheretho, of Gonia.
- The wild nature lovers can take the European trail E4 through two routes of extreme beauty, one of which crosses the enchanting forest of Koumania in Alones.
The fauna and flora of the Municipality is also very rich. In the sea of Episkopi he can come across the turtle Caretta-Caretta. In the plain and mountainous zone he can see haves, badgers, hedgehogs, hawks etc. In the rich flora besides the various bushes he can stumble upon cyclamens, tulips, violets and other wildflowers and also all of the aromatic flowers of Crete. For more information he can address himself to the centre of Environmental Education "Falkonas" which operates in the village Karoti.
This text (extract) is cited February 2004 from the Municipality of Lappes tourist pamphlet.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!