EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 8 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for destination: "KASTORIA Town MAKEDONIA WEST".


Places of worship (8)

Churches

Church of St. Stephen

  Three-aisled basilica of the "Oriental" type, with a narthex and a gallery. The aisles and the narthex are covered with barrel-vaults but over the gallery the roof is semi-barrel vaulted. In the apse there is a synthronon (bench) with a bishop's cathedra in the middle. A small chapel dedicated to St. Anne is formend in the south section of the gallery.
  Two layers of the wall paintings of the church have been uncovered. The earlier, which dates from the end of the 9th or the beginning of the 10th century, covers the narthex, the side aisles, the middle aisle up to the height of the celestory, and part of the gallery. The second layer, dated to the end of the 12th century, is visible on the high celestory and the lower friezes of the pillars.
  The church has undergone several phases of restoration and protection work.


The basilica of Ayios Stephanos

  The triple-aisled basilica of Ayios Stephanos in Kastoria is one of the oldest ecclesiastical monuments of the Balkan Peninsula. It has attractive tile decoration and wall-paintings, the earliest of which date to the 9th century.
  These wall-paintings are of exceptional significance as an example of early painting reflecting a high level of iconographic and artistic attainment. The painting is flat and abstract, with strange colour combinations, and the compositions are geometrically arranged.
  Some scattered dedicatory or liturgical scenes in the narthex and on the lower sections of the walls in the main body of the church date to the 12th century. Scenes on the ceiling of this part of the church must have been executed around 1200, while some others date to the 13th and 14th centuries.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains image.


Church of Panaghia (Holy Virgin) Koumbelidike

  Triconch, domed church founded in the 10th century. The exonarthex is a later addition. Three layers of wall paintings are distinguished in the building: the earlier is dated to 1260-1280 and is preserved on the arches of the naos (except for the east) and on the walls of the esonarthex (except for the west). A more recent layer, dated to the 17th century, covers the east arm of the cross, the apse of the sanctuary, and the exonarthex.
  The church was bombed in the 1940's and the dome and several parts of the superstructure had collapsed. It was completely restored in the 1950's.


The church of the Panayia Koumbelidiki

  The Panayia (Virgin) Koumbelidiki or Skoutariotissa, a small triconch church dated to the 10th century, has become the emblem of Kastoria. The small dimensions of the church and its high dome with a variety of masonry work make it an architectural gem of the city.
  The 13th century wall-paintings are in poor condition. Their attraction now lies largely in the Dormition of the Virgin at the west end of the main body of the church, and in the rare representation of the Holy Trinity in the narthex.
  Taken as a whole, the painting is conventional and lacks an inner quality, yet it contains certain innovative features that foretell the creative outburst of the Palaeologan age. Some of the painting in the narthex dates to the 17th century, while the murals on the west front of the church were executed in 1496.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains image.


The church of the Taxiarchis of the Metropolis

  The church of the Taxiarchis (Archangel) of the Metropolis, a small triple-aisled basilica with narthex, is of 10th century construction. Its considerable interest lies equally in its antiquity and in its original wall-paintings.
  While they have deteriorated through age, these paintings are of importance to the study of art in the Middle Byzantine period. The old murals were painted over in 1359/60, the more recent being the ones most visible today.
  These later murals display their own characteristic techniques that do not follow the rules governing painting as formulated at the time in the large urban centres of Byzantium. From then on a local painting workshop existed in Kastoria; it was inspired by locally conceived aesthetic canons and persisted until the first years of the 16th century.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains image.


Ayios Nikolaos Kasnitzis

  Ayios Nikolaos Kasnitzis is a small single-aisled church with 12th century wall-paintings. These paintings provide a perfect example of how a church of this shape is to be decorated.
  The upper register of the painted surface is covered with scenes from the Gospels and the lower with a row of full-length figures of saints. In the narthex there are scenes from the life of Saint Nicholas, whom the church honours, and representations of the donors, Nikephoros Kasnitzis and his wife Anna.
  As for the artistic intent, all the figures display a similarity of style, being the work of a painter bent on portraying tall, supple bodies and noble faces, and using subdued colours devoid of abrupt transitions of tone. The prevalent harmony and the rejection of all inessentials create a sense of that unique inner solemnity which reflects the religious ideals current in the Komnenian age.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains images.


Agioi Anargyroi

  The church of Ayioi Anargyroi (dedicated to Saints Kosmas and Damianos) is a three-aisled basilica of the 11th century with marvellous tile decoration and interesting proportions. It has two layers of wall-paintings that belong to the 11th and 12th centuries respectively.
  The earliest murals, which are clearly visible where the later ones have crumbled away, are not particularly expressive, being of a very conservative character.
  The 12th century paintings, on the other hand, present a rich iconography and display all the signs of conspicuous artistic merit consistent with the dynamism of Komnenian art. Elongated figures of saints, their faces imbued with an intense spirituality, their stance noble, almost theatrical, create scenes in harmonious colours that comprise one of the most important works of Byzantine art.
  One may marvel at the figures, among several others, of the donor Theodoros Limniotis, his wife Anna, their son Ioannis, and of the monk Theophilos Limniotis.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains images.


The monastery of the Panayia Mavriotissa (church)

  The single-aisled church with narthex of the Panayia (Virgin) Mavriotissa, the katholikon of the monastery bearing the same name, is probably an 11th century building. A chapel dedicated to John the Theologian, with wall-paintings executed in 1552 by the artist Eustathios Iakovou, was erected beside it in the 16th century.
  The paintings that have survived in the katholikon are confined to the sanctuary, the west wall of the main body of the church and the narthex. Their particular style gives rise to pronounced reservations regarding their date, estimates varying from the 11th to the early 13th centuries. Moreover their style lacks features which would relate the paintings with local tradition.
  The violence depicted in the wall-paintings and the distortions occurring in the drawing reach the extremes of abstraction. Some of these old wall-paintings were restored in the 13th century, while the exterior wall of the narthex was decorated with new ones.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains images.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.