Listed 11 sub titles with search on: Places of worship
for wider area of: "KALAMBAKA
Places of worship (11)
Holy Church of "Koimesis of Virgin"
Tel: +30 24320 22752
Holy church of "Koimesis", situated North-East of the municipality of Kalambaka,
was the old cathedral of the Bishopric Stagoi.
The church is a spacious basilica with nave which rises higher than
the two aisles. It was built probably in the 10th or 11th century, on the remains
of an early - christian basilica. Part of the floor mosaic is saved, while material
from the early byzantine ambo has been used to firm the new one of marble, in
the centre of the church. From the old church comes the ciborium of marble and
the synthronon. The wall paintings of the church date from 12th to 17th century.
The monument has been restored and the frescoes (part of them;) conserved.
Nowadays it is used as a church.
Church of Virgin of Doupianis
Tel: +30 24320 22278
Tel: +30 24320 22279
Tel: +30 24320 22220
The Holy Trinity Monastery is an Eastern Orthodox monastery situated at the top of a rocky precipice over 400 metres high and forms part of 24 monasteries which were originally built at Meteora, one of the oldest still existing of the Meteora monasteries. Six of the 24 monasteries are still active and open to visitors.
The church was constructed between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries and is included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites titled Meteora.
The monastery was featured in the 1981 James Bond film, For Your Eyes Only.
Tel: +30 24320 22277
Tel: +30 24320 22649
Tel: +30 24320 22375
Candlemas monastery is belonged to the Great Meteoron monastery. It is a ruinned monastery, which has been restored partially and is available for visit under some certain conditions.
The monk Neilos, is recorded in relevant documents and inscriptions as the founder of the monastery in the years 1366-7.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.