Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "ASTYPALEA Port DODEKANISSOS" .
ASTYPALEA (Port) DODEKANISSOS
This church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built in 1853 and is found at the entrance of the Caslte. In the interior, there are an inscription dating back to 1413 and the shields of the Querini family.
It was built in 1790.
Panagia Portaitissa makes up the religious centre of the island with
the largest amount of homage. It began being built in 1762 by the blind Osios
Anthimos from Cephalonia,
who before building Panagia Portaitissa, had built the monasteries of Zoodochou
Pigis at Sikinos and Saint
George at Castelorizo. The
construction of the church lasted nine years during which according to tradition,
many miracles occurred.
It is dedicated to Panagia Portaitissa of the Iviron monastery, a copy of whose icon Osios Anthimos brought to Astypalea. On the 15th August when the celebration of Portatissa is held, there is a grand festival with violins and utes.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Municipality of Astypalea tourist pamphlet (1999).
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!