Places of worship MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE (Region) GREECE - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 67 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE Region GREECE" .


Places of worship (67)

Cathedrals

Holy Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Nicolas

ALEXANDROUPOLI (Town) EVROS
The cathedral of St. Nicolas was first in stimulating the development of Alexandroupolis. Initially in 1850 a similar church was built in the same area with the contributions of the few navymen and fishermen of the coastal settlements.
In the construction of today's large church, the citizens of Ainos of Alexandroupolis for its aesthetic improvement transferred from the beautiful gate of the city of Ainos valuable icons, the gold-plated Sacred Icon which is used in the formal procession on Good Friday and other sacred items which today are located in the Ecclesiastical Museum. The Church was completed in 1900 and the formal inauguration occurred in 1901 by the Metropolitan Bishop Germanos of Ainos.
In 1908, with the contribution of Vlassios Souchour of Samos, consul of Austria-Hugary in Alexandroupolis, the construction and the raising of the two belfries took place. The church was renovated in 1947 under the auspice of Metropolitan Bishop Ioakim Kaviris.
The Church is dedicated to the city's patron saint, Saint Nicolas. It is tree-portioned with a dome, two belfries and other assorted architectural elements.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.


Church of Agios Athanassios

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Sts Theodori cathedral

ORESTIADA (Town) EVROS
(Following URL information in Greek only)

Diocese of Xanthi & Peritheorion

XANTHI (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
Tel: +30 25410 28305, 22505
Fax: +30 25410 25581

Churches

Church of the Virgin at Livadaki

ACHLADIA (Village) DRAMA

Church of St. George at Kritharas

Church of Agios Andreas

AGIOS ANDREAS (Village) KAVALA
This church is found in the Agios Andreas Monastery.

Agii Theodori

AVAS (Village) ALEXANDROUPOLI
4km W of Avas, there are at the place of mountain Zoneos. Rocky temple in cave. Walls and wall up iconostasis which is decorated with Byzantine wall paintings of11-13th century.

Church of Agios Georgios

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Church of Christos Sotiras

Church of Kimisseos Theotokou

Church of Panagia Eleftherotria

Church of Aghia Sophia

DRAMA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
  The monument does not provide much information about its history since it is half-buried in the ground, and almost all its surfaces, both inside and outside, are covered with plaster; the anteroom and the bell-tower (formerly a minaret) are later additions. It is a rectangular building with sloped roofs on the north and south part, and an octagonal dome supported on a rectangular base. The initial wall masonry is discernible only on the east side. The monument is dated to the 9th century A.D.
  The east side has been restored and the church functions regularly.

This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Church of the Taxiarches

  Single-aisled, barrel-vaulted church of the Palaiologan period. A staircase on the east side leads up to the fortress. The church has undergone many reconstruction phases (1861-1892) but the walls remain intact. The wall-paintings are dated before the middle of the 14th century.
  Excavations on the south and east sides have brought to light part of the city's fortification wall which communicated with the church by means of a built staircase which led up to a tower-like section of the wall. It was also proved that the church was later incorporated into the castle. The church does not function today but the iconostasis and the wall-paintings have been restored.

The chapel of Taxiarches

Agios Nikolaos church

ELEFTHEROUPOLI (Small town) KAVALA
This church is built on the place of an early-Christian basilica.

St. Athanassios

EXOCHI (Village) DRAMA

Panagia Eleftherotria

FERES (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Agios Demetios church

GALIPSOS (Village) KAVALA

St. Demetrius

KATO NEVROKOPI (Small town) DRAMA

Panagia church

KAVALA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
This church was built on the place of a ruined 15th century church, which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary (= Panagia) as well.

St. George

KIRKI (Village) ALEXANDROUPOLI
Kerke had the luck to safe the last atelier of Byzantine hagiography in Greece. Samples of its artistic work are decorating the temple of the Agios Georgios central fane. The icons of the temple where painted in the years 1926- 1927 from a monk named Kerelos (1871-1945), who was born in Kerke and had learn the hagiographic art on the Agio Oros. When he returned to his country he started running the atelier and his most important student was the folk painter Pashalis Katsikas.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below.


Church of the Virgin

LEFKIMI (Village) SOUFLI
(Following URL information in Greek only)

St. John

LEFKOGIA (Village) DRAMA

Byzantine Temple of Agios Athanassios

MYRTOFYTO (Village) KAVALA

Church of Christou Sotira

NEOI PSATHADES (Village) DIDYMOTICHO

Post byzantine church - Paleochori Nipsa

NIPSA (Village) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Agia Paraskevi church

OCHYRO (Village) DRAMA
This church celebrates the first Friday after Easter.

The Presentation of the Virgin

PAGONERI (Village) DRAMA

St. Nicholas

PERITHORI (Village) DRAMA

Church of Zoodochos Pigi

Grave & chapel of Kyrillos VI

PITHIO (Small town) DIDYMOTICHO

Assumption of the Virgin

SAMOTHRAKI (Small town) EVROS

Byzantine church

SOTIRAS (Village) THASSOS

Church of Panagia Evagelistria

STAVROUPOLIS (Small town) XANTHI

St. Nicholas

VATHITOPOS (Village) DRAMA

Church of Taxiarches at Akrino

Country churches

Church of Agii Theodori

KATO VRODOU (Village) DRAMA

Panagia Kremiotissa

PACHIA AMMOS (Beach) SAMOTHRAKI

Monasteries

Monastery of St. Athanassios at Alonia

ALONIA (Village) SAMOTHRAKI
Tel: +30 25510 41952
Fax: +30 25510 41952

Monastery of the Archangel Michael

ASTRIDA (Settlement) THASSOS
Tel: +30 25930 51275

This monastery is located above the village of Chortokopi.

Monastery of Hypapante

In the deserted old Chortokopi.

Monastery of Panagia Kosmosoteira

FERES (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI
In Feres, 29-km to the northeast of Alexandroupolis and next to the river Evros, is the Byzantine City Vera located. The city is closely related to the emperor Isaac Komnenos. In the years 1151- 1152 he built the Cosmosotera monastery and then he abounded the cosmic life. Nowadays only the central shrine is saved, which is one of the best samples of Komninian architecture, and parts from three of the six towers. In the inside of the monastery you can see brilliant wall paintings from the Komnenean period, which are presenting the art of Konstantinoples. In the yard of the fane you can see marble architectural.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.


Monastery of the Virgin at Evros

MAKRI (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI
Tel: +30 25510 71263

Monastery of the Virgin at Thassos

MARIES (Village) THASSOS
Tel: +30 25930 51394

Monastery of the Taxiarches

MONI TAXIARCHON (Monastery) XANTHI
Tel: +30 25410 22362, 29911

Monastery of the Trasfiguration of Nikiton

NIKITES (Settlement) KAVALA
Tel: +30 25910 54236

Monastery of the Virgin Faneromeni

PALADIO (Settlement) KOMOTINI
Tel: +30 25310 97022

Monastery of St. Minas

PERICHORA (Village) DRAMA
Tel: +30 25210 31519

Monastery of Analipsis at Taxiarches

TAXIARCHES (Village) DRAMA
Tel: +30 25210 45023

Monastery of St. Irene

Tel: +30 25410 25460

Mosques

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions