Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Places of worship
for destination: "IERA MONI LIMONOS
Places of worship (3)
Tel: +30 22530 22289
of Leimon is a men's convent, situated in the centre of Lesbos, at a 14 km
distance from Kalloni, in a fertile basin. It was founded in Byzantine years and
was inhabited until the occupation of the island by the Turks. The monastery was
re-founded in 1526 by Saint Ignatios Agallianos, a significant personality who
contributed in the rebirth of both education and the Church. At that time the
well-known "Leimonias" school - which remained open until 1923 - functioned
within the monastery's enclosure.
The katholikon (main church) was built in 1526, at the time of the
monastery's reformation and was repeatedly restored. It is a three-aisled basilica
with the roof of the middle aisle higher than the other two and a double narthex.
It is decorated with interesting wall paintings that date in the second half of
the 16th and the first half of the 17th century. Worth mentioning is the wooden-carved
gilded templon in the church's interior.
Today in the monastery there is an important library with manuscripts
and a vestry.
It is in the center of the island at a distance of 3 km northwest of the small town of Kalloni. Its Cathedral is dedicated to the Taxiarches (Archangels). The Archbishop of Mythimna Ignatios Agalianos, who is the saint honoured in the monastery, built it in 1523. During the years of Ottoman occupation it was the only intellectual center of the island. The Cathedral is an imposing three-aisle basilica, with a fretwork and gold-plated icon-screen and frescos painted in the Byzantine manner ca. 1800. The Monastery has a library, a Museum of Ecclesiastical Art and a Museum of Geology (1990).
This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Prefecture of Lesvos URL below, which contains image.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.