Aghia Paraskevi is one of the most ancient churches of the village.
The sign on its lintel that reads the date 29 March 1709 is more recent and refers
to a repairing of the church. It is odd and at the same time miraculous how its
frescoes escaped the catastrophe caused by the Turks in 1822, something that did
not happen with some other churches of the village. In the centre of the dome
Pantokrator dominates. Scenes of Jesus' life and Passion are depicted on the right
and left walls. Pictures of saints complement those representations. The predominant
feature in the hagiographies in question is the naivety and the innocence of the
It is worth mentioning here that the large number of churches inside and outside the village reveals the peak the region reached during Middle Age. Inside the village there were nineteen churches most of which exist up to these days, in a very good condition. Outside the village there were seventeen more and all of them still persist. The wider expanse of Mesta used to have thirty-seven churches on the whole. Two of them operated as schools since the end of the last century. Christ's church at the square (it does not exist nowadays) was a boys' school and St. Mary's church was a girls' school. The fact that Mesta dwellers had very early been interested in their children's education shows their thirst for learning.
This text is cited Febr 2004 from the Chios Prefecture Tourism Committee URL below.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!