gtp logo

Location information

Listed 16 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "VOLISSOS Village CHIOS" .

Places of worship (16)


Church of the Virgin Agiogaloussena

This church was built at the base of the cliff that holds up the village. The church honors the name of Panaghia Galaktotrofousa (translation: Milk Feeding) and contains the icon of the Virgin Mary. The church's architecture is an example of subsequent architectural developments of the octagonal type exhibited in Nea Moni. The church's interior was extended, thereby becoming useful as a narthex, however, the church leads to a spiral tunnel where there is a chapel similar to the central church. This chapel honors the name of Aghia Anna (St. Anna).

Church of the Virgin Agiogaloussena: Various WebPages

St. Thaleleos

The church can be described as a small, basilica type, single-aisle church that has been built from local stone. A very large portion of its stone structure has come from an ancient edifice while the tiles covering the church's exterior date back to the Byzantine period. The church's interior still displays the well maintained illustrations and frescoes that date back to the 17th century. The wood carved iconostasis is in excellent condition and is dated 1711.

St. Matrona


Agios Ioannis Theologos


Country churches

Agia Barbara

Agia Irene

Agia Matrona

Agios Georgios

Agios Prokopis

Kato Panagia

Pano Panagia


Monastery Mondon

This Monastery is located in the village of Diefha which lies in the northern part of Chios. It honors the name of Aghios Yiannis Prodromos (St. John the Baptist) on August 29th of each year. In 1574, it was renovated by the monk Iakovos Lagadiotis and was considered the most significant monastery following Nea Moni. Men descending from the Chian aristocracy lived in the Moundon Monastery as monks. The Monastery maintained an impressive library containing an exquisite parchment that is dated to 1462 A.D. This parchment probably belonged to the Holy Matrona who was a citizen of Chios. The Turks destroyed the Monastery in 1822, however, it was reconstructed in the years to follow. The interior walls of the church of the Monastery display a series of impressive wall paintings dating around 1620, 1730 and 1849. These wall paintings are maintained in good condition and display a combination of the folk technique with Western influence.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures