The church of Saint George of Drosero is situated in the cemetery
of the village. It was built in 1863 in a building plot that belonged to an English
named Adot, when Metropolite of Moglena (Aridea) was Ioannis Rabatzakis, who later
was islamized. The church has been built in the Byzantine style and contains a
narthex and a place set apart only for women. There is a lapidary inscription
with the date "1863". Inside the church there are wall paintings on
the two architraves of colonnades. The icon screen, which is curved at Mount
Athos, has woodcut and written folk decoration and icons dated in 1863 and
1864. Plentiful decoration is maintained on the ceiling, on the narthex and on
the multi colored parapet of the place for women.
On the Beautiful Gate of the icon screen there is the date "1890". Portable icons, books and relics of the second half of the 19th century, are maintained on the Holy Floor area. Outside, it has been plastered with a thick layer of lime and its bell tower has been pulled down. The first priest of the church was father Ioannis Zavlaris. The church is preserved as it is and operates occasionally.
This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains images
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!