Places of worship PELLA (Prefecture) MAKEDONIA CENTRAL - GTP - Greek Travel Pages
gtp logo

Location information

Listed 29 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "PELLA Prefecture MAKEDONIA CENTRAL" .


Places of worship (29)

Churches

Church of the Ascension, 16th ce.

AGIOS ATHANASSIOS (Village) EDESSA

St George

AGIOS GEORGIOS (Village) GIANNITSA
  Hidden by the very high karagatsi trees and out of the Turkish sight, in the beginning of the 19th century, rose up the only church of the area. This church was dedicated to Saint George and used to come all the residents of the neighboring villages. During the Russian - Turkish war, in 1877, passing by groups of Turkish reservists, burnt the church and all its holly objects. From some notes that were written on religious books, we learn that within a few years, the church was built again at the same place, but smaller and with the contribution of the residents some books were bought (1885).
  The internal of the church was decorated with icons, donation of the residents, which the date "1898" is written on. The collection of money during the years 1899,1301 and 1904 helped the finishing of the church, the name of which changed, completely inexcusably, to Saint Dimitrios. In the church there was a slab with a written inscription, which mentioned that the church was burnt during the Russian - Turkish war and was rebuilt with the contribution of the residents of all the neighboring villages. Both the beautiful woodwork screen, and the entire church have been pulled down. In 1957, the village's residents built the new church of Saint Dimitrios on their own expenses, at the point where the Bey's lodging was.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains image


St George

DROSSERO (Village) GIANNITSA
  The church of Saint George of Drosero is situated in the cemetery of the village. It was built in 1863 in a building plot that belonged to an English named Adot, when Metropolite of Moglena (Aridea) was Ioannis Rabatzakis, who later was islamized. The church has been built in the Byzantine style and contains a narthex and a place set apart only for women. There is a lapidary inscription with the date "1863". Inside the church there are wall paintings on the two architraves of colonnades. The icon screen, which is curved at Mount Athos, has woodcut and written folk decoration and icons dated in 1863 and 1864. Plentiful decoration is maintained on the ceiling, on the narthex and on the multi colored parapet of the place for women.
  On the Beautiful Gate of the icon screen there is the date "1890". Portable icons, books and relics of the second half of the 19th century, are maintained on the Holy Floor area. Outside, it has been plastered with a thick layer of lime and its bell tower has been pulled down. The first priest of the church was father Ioannis Zavlaris. The church is preserved as it is and operates occasionally.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains images


Old Metropolis - Assumption of the Virgin Mary

EDESSA (Town) PELLA
  Three-aisled, wooden-roofed basilica, founded in the 14th century and dedicated to Christ, the Wisdom and the Word of God. The north and south walls of the church were repaired in the middle of the 17th century, while the narthex is a much later construction, added in the 1920's. Parts of wall paintings are preserved on the bema, on the walls over the colonnades, on the soffits of the arches, and on the pillars. The earlier wall paintings are dated to ca. 1380. Very impressive is the carved wooden iconostasis, dated to the middle of the 18th century, with icons painted by Apostolis Longianos Vodheniotis (1761).
  Extensive restoration work of the church was undertaken in the 1970's, and the additions made in the 1920's were removed from the main building because they severely altered the original form of the monument. A similar restoration work is now in progress in the area of the narthex and is scheduled to be completed by 1997.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below.


The Old Metropolis

Church of the Apostles Peter & Paul

Saint Athanasios

GALATADES (Small town) GIANNITSA
In the cemetery of Galatades there is the church of Saint Athanasios. It was built before 1806, because this year is written on the icon of Virgin's Annunciation. It is built in the Royal style, with three aisles and it has woodcut icon screen. There are wall paintings of Saints Athanasios and Nicolaos on the south and west lintel of the church. On the architraves there are scenes of the Old Testament. Also, there are portable icons of the Twelve Apostles, Saint Dimitrios, Virgin Mary, Saint Paraskevi, Saint John the Baptist, Christ, Saint Athanassios, Virgin's Annunciation (1806) and Saint Georgios. The church has two entrances, in the south and west side. Its roof has been restored recently and the church is lightened inside through the dormer windows. Nowadays, the church is used for burial services.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains images


The new church of St Athanassios

In the center of the village, next to the Primary School, it is situated the new church of Agios Athanassios. It is an imposing church built in the Byzantine style with a dome and wall paintings. It has a modern bell tower with five bells, which ring with a mechanism. It was founded in 1949 and consecrated in 1961. Next to the church there is its spiritual center, which also functions as a reception hall.

Church of the Assumption (Cathedral of Giannitsa)

GIANNITSA (Town) PELLA
, , 1862
  The Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Virgin, i.e. the Orthodox Cathedral of Giannitsa, a triple-nave basilica, the construction of which was completed in 1860 and according to the tradition, wine was often used instead of water for its construction.
This text (extract) is cited October 2003 from the Pella Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.

St Athanassios

GYPSOCHORI (Settlement) PELLA
In the cemetery of Gypsohori there is the church of Agios Athanasios, which is dated in 19th century. The year "1851" is written on a sign that has been preserved until nowadays. The temple is built in the Royal Style and it has three aisles. It also has wooden roof and narthex, characteristics that is difficult to be found in churches these years. Inside the temple, the frescos on the walls are believed to be of rare beauty and art.
The residents report with great enthusiasm the important and determinate role of the church during the Macedonian Struggle as, many fighters lived in the village. Next to this church there is the new church of Agios Athanasios, which was built in 1965 and opened in 1972. The day of the celebration of the church is on 18th January.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains images


The Assumption of the Virgin

KARIOTISSA (Small town) GIANNITSA
The church at the old village of Kariotissa was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin. The elderly remember with nostalgia the bi-level church, built by carved stone, the Byzantine dome and the Byzantine icons, the woodcut icon screen, as well as the woodcut, pulpit surrounded by golden pigeons. An internal wooden stairway led to a place set apart only for women. When the residents left the village to settle in New Kariotissa, the church was ruined. In its place a chapel has been built sacred to Zoodohos Pigi (the source of life).

The new church of the Assumption of the Virgin

When the refugees settled in New Kariotissa in 1924, they performed their religious ceremonies in a jerry built shed. However, their great desire for a temple soon became true by the foundation of the new one dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin. In 1998 the extension of the church was completed, while renovation takes place till nowadays.

The chapel of St Paraskevi

In the eastern section of the village there is the chapel of Saint Paraskevi. According to the village residents, it was built after the urge of an old woman, who insisted on the messages she got from the Saint, and since then Saint Paraskevi is considered to be the guardian angel of the village. For the chapel’s building plinths, and later, stones were used, in a way of building, which led to its exquisite beauty.

The Saint Paul church

LIPARO (Village) GIANNITSA
  The Saint Paul church of Liparo was founded in 1952 and consecrated in 27th of May 1962. In the village cemetery is situated the Byzantine church that dates back in the beginning of 606 A.D. In an undefined date and at the point where Saint John the Baptist's icon was found by a farmer, a church was built dedicated to his memory. Here used to come the residents of all the neighboring villages and there is evidence that it used to operate as a secret school.
  The church used to be larger than it is now, but its one side was pulled down and the wall paintings were covered by lime, as well as the religious painted screen was covered by oil paints. It was built in the Royal style and it has three aisles with painting decoration on the architraves, where scenes of the gospel interchange with representations of Evangelists. Important is the woodcut gilded bishop’s throne, that the decoration is based on embossed and performed technic. The subjects are mostly plants and partially animals, with dragons, lions and water birds. The church has been proclaimed a preserved monument by the Ministry of Culture and it is included (with the tomb) into the map of the ancient and Byzantine monuments of the prefecture.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains images


The church of Timios Prodromos

PALEFYTO (Small town) GIANNITSA
  When the refugees came to Pαlefito from Thrace in 1924, they built the church of Timios Prodromos in memory of the church that existed in their country. The church is built in the Royal style and has many icons that the refugees brought with them from Thrace.
  In 1981 the new church of Timios Prodromos was built in the same yard with the old church. It is a great construction built in the Byzantine style and contains a narthex and a place set apart only for women. The church was consecrated in 1998 and then the operation of the old church stopped.

This text is cited June 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains image


The chapel of Saint Kyriaki

In the cemetery of the village.

Zoodochos Pigi

The uprooting of the Greeks from Asia Minor, was violent and they didn’t have the chance to take with them the holly objects of their church. Its memory always caused sadness. However, recently they fulfilled their dream for a church in memory of the one they had in Kydia of Asia Minor, by building the church of Zoodohos Pigi (The Source of Life).

Agia Paraskevi

PALEOS MYLOTOPOS (Village) GIANNITSA
, , 1756

Agios Athanassios

PENTAPLATANO (Village) GIANNITSA

St George & Hypapanti of the Lord church

TRIFYLLI (Village) GIANNITSA
  As it turns up by the historical facts, during the Turkish occupation, the few residents of Trifili perfomed their relegious sacrements in the church of the neighbouring village Agios Georgios. After the freedom of Macedonia in 1913, the residents of the village formed an abandoned Turkish building into a church, dedicated to Saint George. In 1960 a new church was built in the town square, from where the village's main road passes.
  This church is built in the Byzantine style, the rarest style nowadays, and it's dedicated to Saint George and to the "Ypapanti of the Lord" ; i.e. the day priest Simon welcomed and met Christ 40 days after His birth. Its imposing appearance is owed to its construction completely by stone, porous stone, thanks to which it remained unchanged through the years passing. Inside it is surrounded by a lot of wall paintings, which were painted after the residents' donations. In a place set apart for women, some small and old icons are maintained. Its celebration day is the 2nd of February, 40 days after Christmas.

This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains images


Country churches

Chapel of Evangelist Loukas

GALATADES (Small town) GIANNITSA
In a short distance from the village of Galatades there is the chapel of Evangelist Loukas which was built in 1930 at the point where the icon of Evangelist Loukas was found. Nowadays, the chapel functions occasionally. On 1st of May and on Shrove Monday a festival takes place in the yard of the chapel after the service.

Monasteries

Monastrey of Archangelos Michail

, , 1184
Monastrey of fortess construction.

St. George of Anydro, Goumenissa

PENTAPLATANO (Village) GIANNITSA
It was established in 1991.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures

ΕΣΠΑ

Promotions