The church of St Dionysios, patron saint of the island, and the carved silver larnax of the saint by D.Bafas.
The church of St Nikolaos 'on the Mole' in Solomos square.
The church of Faneromeni. It was completely destroyed from the 1953's earthquakes and the fire that followed but it was rebuilt and today it looks just as it used to. Detail from wall painting of the old church, now housed in the Byzantine Musuem of Zakynthos (by N. Doxaras, 18th century)
The church of our Lady of the Angels, built in 1687, was partially damaged in 1953's earthquakes but it was rebuilt soon aftewards in his original style.
In this small church of Agios Georgios, Anthimos Argyropoulos swore in the aspirant
members of the Filiki, the revolutionary organisation against the Turks. Apart
from the locals the revolutionary leader Theodoros Kolokotronis took his oath
here. On the wall the visitor can see the list of names of the members who swore
allegiance to the Struggle.
Tel: +30 26950 43805, 44126, 44151, 48422, 44920
Fax: +30 26950 44151
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!