EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 33 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "LEFKADA Prefecture IONIAN ISLANDS" .


Places of worship (33)

Churches

St. Apostoli church - "Frangoklissia"


GENION (Settlement) LEFKADA

St. Kyriaki church


KARYA (Small town) LEFKADA

St. Paraskevi

Another wonderful church is that of Ayia Paraskevi in the upper part of the town. This is a well-preserved church built at the beginning of the 19th century. Its pride is the wooden-sculpted iconostasis, a finely worked piece in a simple baroque style made by P. Prosalentis in 1850. The icon of Ayia Paraskevi was painted by Y. Patsaras and is a beautiful composition. There are two oil-paintings by Spyridon Gazi in the church, 'The Sacrifice of Abraham' and 'Job.' There are two springs in the village with pure water from the same source which supplied the whole region with its water in the past.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


St. Spyridon

One of the most important churches of Karya is that of Ayios Spyridon in the centre of the town. It was built in the late 19th century and has a beautiful tall belfry with a clock. The iconostasis is in a simple, classical style and was made by Ioannis Vrettos (1925).


St. John (Agios Ioannis)

The church of Ayios Ioannis is decorated with excellent large oil-paintings, executed by Spyridon Gazis. The small church of Ayios Aimilianos is located four kilometres outside of the village of Kastos, on the site where the village once was, before the residents moved to its present site. It is an pretty, old church, much connected with the history of the island.


KATOUNA (Village) LEFKADA

Panagia (Virgin Mary) church


St. Varvaros church


LAZARATA (Small town) LEFKADA

St. Dionysius' & St.Spydonos' belfries

Many traditional belfries, each with its own special characteristics, decorate the churches of Sfakiotes. Two of the most beautiful are those of the churches of Ayios (Saint) Dionysios and Ayios Spyridon at Lazarata, which were built over 150 years ago. They still stand tall and proud, supporting the bells which call the Christian population to every service, in moments of joy and sorrow. The church of Ayios Spyridon was first built in the mid-eighteenth century. It has a white and gold baroque-style iconostasis with slender columns in the Corinthian order. The icon of the Archangel Michael in the shutter of the door is most likely a work of the eminent icon painter V. Sideris (1894).

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


Theotokos tis Evangelistrias church

Metropolis church


St. Spyridon

With its elaborate wooden icon screen and fine frescoes, Saint Spyridon is one of the island's most interesting churches. It was built in the 17th century.


St. Minas church

A church built around 1700. It is decorated with a wood-carved baroque icon screen and superb frescoes, the work of some representative icon-painters of the Ionian islands.


St. Nikolaos

An 18th century church with religious paintings of considerable interest.


Presentation of the Virgin Mary church

Built in the 18th century. Worth visiting for its stone campanile, its icon screen and frescoes by Spiros Gazis.


St. Paraskevi church


St. Marina church


St. Mavra church


Panagia ton Xenon church


Christ Pantocrator church

A church built in the 18th century, property of the Valaoritis family. In the church there are tombs of distinguished citizens of Lefkas. Behind the church in the garden is the grave of the poet Aristoteles Valaoritis.


St. Dimitrios

The main points of interest in this very old church (built in 1688) are the frescoes by the Lefkas icon painter Spiros Gazis, the marble icon screen and the episcopal throne.


PERIGIALI (Village) LEFKADA

Kokkini Ekklissia (Red Church)

This church was built in 1478 .


Agii Pantes church


VOURNIKAS (Village) LEFKADA

Ayios Ioannis (St. John)

At Vournika there is also a church of Ayios Ioannis Prodromos. This was a private church and belonged to the Karavia family. It is considered to be the oldest Byzantine church on the island, older even than that of the Monastery of the Odigitria. It is a single-aisled basilica built in ashlar masonry and with a wooden roof. The figure of an unknown saint beseeching was found in the apse of the north wall and the painting dates to the late 11th-early 12th century. The remaining mural complex of Ayios Ioannis of Karavias is much more recent, dating from the 17th century. The eastern wall is divided into registers. The lower register of the 'Platytera of the Skies' can be seen. The representation of the Ascension of Christ on the front of the side is large and versatile and all the wall-paintings bear the influence of the Cretan school. The whole of the Syvros region is full of a unique and varied beauty.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


Country churches

EGLOUVI (Village) LEFKADA

St. Elias


KAVALOS (Settlement) LEFKADA

Pantokrator

Another important nearby Christian monument is the small, rural church of the Pantocrater, 1 kilometre north-west of the village of Kavalos. In its door there are lintels from ancient Greek temples. A huge oak tree in front of the forecourt is used for the belfry. Next to the church there is the half-ruined 'Kospetos' windmill and a little further down the two old wells 'of Stenofryas.' From this point one can clearly see another windmill at the peak of the hill opposite at Kavalos, which was recently restored.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


NYDRI (Village) LEFKADA

Ayios Ioannis Prodromos

The little church of Ayios Ioannis Prodromos is located a little outside the village, at the peak of the hill, where the view is exceptional. This is a small, single-aisled church with a wooden, tiled roof which must have replaced a much taller one. The whole of the church is full of wall-paintings which were most likely executed at the beginning of the 17th century. Most of these today require particular care as they have faded over time and through neglect, and constitute one of the few groups of post-Byzantine wall-paintings on Lefkada. 'The Last Supper' on the north side, 'St John the Baptist,' with the infant St John being led to Zacharias, the 'Saints Kosmas, Damianos, Panteleimon and Minas,' in various costumes and with rich colours, create an unusual religious atmosphere which can be felt by the visitor even today. The area of the Haradiatika also stands out for its beautiful ravine. Exquisite, unspoiled by human intervention, it is ideal for walks through the natural environment.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


Monasteries

ATHANI (Village) LEFKADA

FRYNI (Settlement) LEFKADA

Monastery Faneromenis

Tel: +30 26450 21305, 21105

KARYA (Small town) LEFKADA

Monastery of St. John at Livadi

Tel: +30 26450 41484

  At the edge of the plain, in an idyllic valley, is the Monastery of Ayios Ioannis Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist), popularly known as "Ai Yiannis in the Plain". It was founded in 1605 and has a rich history which goes back over 300 years, with an important role in the economic and cultural life of the island. It is said that the brigand Simos Bounas, or Grivas, was buried in the monastery's church in 1622.
  The Venetians gave much property to the monastery in 1702. The Church of the Odigitria (Our Lady) became a dependency of the monastery in that period and a little later fifteen other of the island's churches were given to the monastery. The monastery of Ayios Ioannis was the island's richest and most populous in the early 19th century. Today's church is newer, single-aisled with a wooden roof and a separate area for women. It has exceptional wall-paintings dating from 1736 to 1753.
  The south wall has paintings preserved in three registers. The lower register contains paintings of full-length saints, the middle register has saints whilst the upper register contains large scenes with many figures and has been fairly worn away over time. In the west wall are paintings of Ayios Konstantinos, Ayia Eleni and the Archangel Michael. Two of the episcopal paintings by Tomazos Tzen of the Cretan school dating to 1753 were stolen in 1965. Next to the monastery church, set within thick vegetation, is the dilapidated chapel of Ayios Nikolaos.


NIKIANA (Village) LEFKADA

VAFKERI (Village) LEFKADA

Religious pilgrimage sites

Monastery of Faneromeni

The Faneromeni Monastery is situated on a hill outside the town. It is an important religious centre on Lefkas. The church's exquisitely crafted marble icon screen is the work of the sculptor Porsalenti. The view from the monastery is superb.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.