The high campanile, the marble icon-screen, sections of the ceiling, are the most interesting features of this single-aisled basilica of Corfu, built in 1590. The remains of Saint Spiridon, patron saint of the island, are preserved here in a sumptuous reliquary, crafted in Vienna.
A place of Christian worship in the Dorian style, built by the English in 1840.
It is a particularly interesting feature in the precinct of the Old Fortress.
It is dedicated to Saint George.
The particular points of interest with this church are its ornately decorated
ceiling and its wealth of icons, not to mention impressive ecclesiastical ware
and silver brought from the mainland opposite by Epirot refugees seeking protection
here from the Turks.
Built in 1577, the Panagia Spiliotissa is the cathedral church of Corfu town.
A three-aisled basilica, it contains some extremely interesting frescoes. Prominent
among them are the double-sided icon of the Virgin of Dimosiana and the works
of the celebrated painters of the Cretan Renaissance.
Tel: +30 26610 37839
Tel: +30 26610 39374
Built on a small island linked by a narrow road to Kanoni.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!