EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 23 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for destination: "VATHY Small town AVLIDA".


Places of worship (23)

Cathedrals

AMARYNTHOS (Small town) CHALKIDA

Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Virgin


CHALKIDA (Town) EVIA

St. Demetrius


Churches

St. Barbara


St. Nicholas


St. Stefanos


CHILIADOU BEACH (Settlement) EVIA

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

This is a Byzantine church.


FYLA (Small town) CHALKIDA

GYMNO (Small town) CHALKIDA

Church of Zoodochos Pigi

This is a Byzantine church.


LOUTSA (Village) DIRFYS

Church of Saint Paraskevi

It dates to the post-Byzantine period.


St. Constantine church

The church was built in 1917 and is located at the village's square.


PROKOPI (Small town) CHALKIDA

Church of Saint John the Russian

In this church the relics of the Saint are found.


Chrurch of Paleo-Panagia

It dates to the post-Byzantine period.


Monasteries

FYLA (Small town) CHALKIDA

MAKRYMALI (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Monastery of St. David the Geron at Limni

Tel: +30 22270 71297, 71143

  At about 12 km southerly of Rovies and 21 km from the provincial capital of Limni Community, there is the historical Convent of Holy David, the so called "Old Man", built on the foot of Kavalaris Mountain (called in another way, Dry Mountain) and an altimeter of 500 meters. The Convent was built in half of the 16th century by Holy David himself, on the pre-existent ruins of the ancient church of Christ's Transfiguration.
  During the years of 1821 Revolution against the Turks, the Convent supported actively the fight and assisted the Leader Captain Angelis Rovios, as this results from the historic records kept in the Convent. This is the reason that it was destroyed by Turks in 1823.
  In 1877 it was reconstructed and so has continued its living till today, in the form of a men's convent. Many chapels are built round the Convent, with the Saint's cavernous hermitage located to the western point, "Agiokeri" to the southern point, in sites of highest beauty.
  In the underground chapel of the Convent's cells, in memory of Saints Anargyroi, there are wonderful wall paintings of the 17th century.
  Recently the figure of the deceased superior of the Convent enviable father Jacob, was assimilated to the Convent, the world and the devoutness, and the worshipers don't omit to pay a visit to his grave. The Convent, which was restored today, welcomes a number of faithful throughout the year.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


POLITIKA (Small town) CHALKIDA

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.