EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 52 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "ACHAIA Prefecture GREECE" .


Places of worship (52)

Cathedrals

EGHIO (Town) ACHAIA

Church of the Virgin

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


KALAVRYTA (Small town) ACHAIA

Churches

The Transfiguration of Christ


ALISSOS (Village) PATRA

St. George


St. Loukas


ANO ACHAIA (Village) PATRA

The Assumption of the Virgin Mary


EGES (Village) EGIRA

Holy Trinity


EGHIO (Town) ACHAIA

Church of the Virgin

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


MONASTIRI (Village) EGIALIA

Assumption of the Virgin


PATRA (Town) ACHAIA

Aghios Andreas

  Basilica built in 1835 on the site of the Early Christian basilica of Aghios Andreas. The architect was A. Kaftanzoglou. To the northwest there are remains of an ancient construction: "well or font" of Aghios Andreas. To the northeast is the larger church of the apostle Andreas.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Aghios Andreas

  The two churches dedicated to Patras' patron Saint, St Andrew, constitute a national and Pan-Orthodox place of pilgrimage. The small Church was erected during the 1836-1843 period at the spot where Apostle Andrew died a martyr. It is a basilica work of architect Lyssandros Kaftantzoglou. The whole body icons on the roof depicting scenes from the Bible, Fathers and Patriarchs are works of the great religious painter Dimitris Hatziaslanis, alias known as Byzantios. At the front and on the right side of the Church, near the sanctuary, is located the marble sepulchre of the Apostle. In the mid-4th century, on the initiative of Emperor Constantine, the Holy Relics was transferred to St Apostles' Church in Constantinople. When the Franks occupied the city, the Relics were transferred to Italy. On September 26th 1964, the Saint's Head returned to Patras by Pope Paul and after the actions that the citizens of Patras and the Orthodox Church took.
  The new magnificent Byzantine church was founded in 1908 by King George I and inaugurated in 1974 by Patras' Metropolitan Bishop Nikodimos. It is the largest and most artistic church in the Balkans and one of the largest across Europe. The supervision of the construction works was initially undertaken by architect Anastasios Metaxas, and after his death (1937) by architect Georgios Nomikos. The Church's central dome is 46m high and supports a five meter high gold-plated cross and twelve smaller ones, symbolising Jesus and his twelve disciples respectively. The church's capacity is 5.500 persons. a national and Pan-Orthodox place of pilgrimage. The small Church was erected during the 1836-1843 period at the spot where Apostle Andrew died a martyr. It is a basilica work of architect Lyssandros Kaftantzoglou. The whole body icons on the roof depicting scenes from the Bible, Fathers and Patriarchs are works of the great religious painter Dimitris Hatziaslanis, alias known as Byzantios. At the front and on the right side of the Church, near the sanctuary, is located the marble sepulchre of the Apostle. In the mid-4th century, on the initiative of Emperor Constantine, the Holy Relics was transferred to St Apostles' Church in Constantinople. When the Franks occupied the city, the Relics were transferred to Italy. On September 26th 1964, the Saint's Head returned to Patras by Pope Paul and after the actions that the citizens of Patras and the Orthodox Church took.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Municipality of Patra URL below, which contains images.


St. Nicholas

Tel: +30 2610 275022, Fax: +30 2610 226482

PETROCHORI (Village) PATRA

St. Dimitrios Badas

Byzantine church of the 12th cent.


PLATANI (Village) RIO

Aghios Nikolaos

Tel: +30 2610 223363

  The church of Aghios Nikolaos lies in the northern foothills of the Panachaikos, on the right bank of the mountain torrent Xylokera. In a Venetian record of church property of the end of the 17th century, it is referred to as an old monastery. The church has undergone a considerable number of repairs.
   The monument comprises the main church and a slightly wider narthex. The wall construction, which is similar and unites the two, shows that church and narthex are contemporary. The main church consists of a rectangular core measuring 5,50 X 3 m. on the interior, with two spacious apses measuring 3 m. on the chord projecting from the north and south sides. All three apses are semi-circular on the interior and three-sided on the exterior. This is usual in the Greek school to which this monument belongs. Each of the three apses of the main church has a double window.
   Except for the lower sections and the eastern wall of the northern part of the narthex, the monument is constructed with reticulate tiling, and tile patterns enliven the appearance of the outer side. Aghios Nikolaos is a characteristic example of church construction of the Greek school, and it dates to the beginning of the 12th century. Today it is a parish church of the Community of Platani.


Sts Constantine & Helen


St. Nikolaos


St. Paraskevi


St. Dimitrios


Country churches

CHRYSSANTHIO (Settlement) EGIALIA

Holy Apostles


Monasteries

AKRATA (Small town) ACHAIA

Monastery of Agia Trias at Akrata

Tel: +30 26960 51269

CHALKIANIKA (Settlement) EGIALIA

KALAVRYTA (Small town) ACHAIA

MANESSI (Village) KALAVRYTA

Monastery of St. George at Manessi

Tel: +30 26920 41282

Monastery of St. Eleoussa

Tel: +30 2610 998343

Monastery of Agia Lavra

Tel: +30 26920 22363, Fax: +30 26920 22006

  Preserved from the first monastery is the Byzantine church with double pitched cross formed roof. In 1689 the monastery was moved lower down: a katholikon of Aghion Oros (Mt. Athos) type, where the standard of the Revolution was raised in 1821. Ibrahim destroyed the monastery which was rebuilt on the same spot. In the sacristy is kept the Standard (labaron), icons, archives and sacred vessels.


Monastery of Agia Laura


Monastery of St. Marina Maritsis

Tel: +30 26930 91374

Monastery of Agii Pantes Triteas

Tel: +30 26940 31223

Monastery of Agii Theodori

Tel: +30 26920 33244

Monastery of the Virgin Notenon

Tel: +30 26940 91381

Monastery of Megalo Spileon

Tel: +30 26920 22401, 23130, Fax: +30 26920 23035

Moni Mergalou Spileou

  Mega Spileo is considered to be the oldest monastery in Greece. It was founded by saints Theodoros and Simeon after a vision by the shepherdess Euphrosyne in 362 AD led to the discovery of the icon in the cave behind the site of the later church.
  It has been destroyed several times due to war incidents and fire. The last major fire took place in 1934, after a keg of gunpowder left behind from the War of Independence exploded. In 1943 the Nazis killed many of the residents and looted seventy lorry loads of furniture and relics, much of it later recovered. The view is the most beautiful gift of the monastery since it is located at a height of 1000 m., while a huge building like castle, rises up to 8 floors inside the physical hole of an enormous rock. The church of the monastery, built during the 17th century, has beautiful frescoes, although old and blur, a floor with mosaic and a bronze door with stinted draw. Inside the Mega Spileo is saved the picture of Holy Mother, made of gum and wax, which is one of the three the Evangelist Lukas had made. A path that starts from the monastery leads at the top of the rock where there are left pieces of a castle and some cannons.
  The monastery once had 450 monks and was among the richest in the Greek world, owning properties throughout the Peloponnese, in Macedonia, Constantinople and Asia Minor. Its treasury, arranged as a small museum, is outstanding. There is also a smaller chapel with a remarkable collection of body parts from various saints.

This text is cited December 2004 from the West Greece Region General Secretariat URL below, which contains image.


MONI OBLOU (Monastery) PATRA

Monastery of the Virgin Omblou

Tel: +30 2610 328413

Monastery of Pepelenitsa

Tel: +30 26910 95000

PATRA (Town) ACHAIA

Monastery of St. Nicholas at Bala

Tel: +30 2610 459058

Girokomiou Monastery

Tel: +30 2610 275912

RIOLOS (Village) PATRA

TRAPEZA (Village) DIAKOPTO

Monastery of Agia Trias Vouron

Tel: +30 26920 41247

Religious pilgrimage sites

EGHIO (Town) ACHAIA

Panagia Trypiti

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


Panagia Plataniotissa

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.