EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 49 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for destination: "VLACHERNA Village ARTA".


Places of worship (49)

Cathedrals

THEODORIANA (Village) ARTA

St. George


Churches

AGNADA (Village) ARTA

AMBELIA (Village) AMMOTOPOS

ARTA (Town) EPIRUS

St. Theodora

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


St. Basil

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


  Single-aisled basilica with two conched chapels, the south dedicated to St. Gregory and the north to St. John Chrysostomos. The walls are lavishly decorated on the outside with patterns in brick and tile. Two glazed clay icons were preserved on the pediment of the east side; the first depicts the three Hierarchs and the second the Crucifixion. They are exhibited now in the Byzantine Museum of Ioannina. The interior is decorated with wall paintings dated to the 17th century.
  The church is located in the old quarter of the Tourkopazaro, in Arta. It was built at the end of the 14th century A.D. During the 17th century, the "Greek School" of the scholar Castorianos Manolakis was established in its precinct. The first scholars to mention the church of St. Bazil in modern times are the Russian archimandrite Antoninos in 1886 and the metropolitan bishop Serapheim in 1884.
  In 1979 the frescoes were cleaned and restored, in 1980 the roof was repaired and the masonry was consolidated. In 1991 the roof was reconstructed, and in 1994 the electrical installation was completed. Today the monument is used as a church but liturgy takes place only on the day of its patron saint.

This text is cited July 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Church of Agios Vasilios Ghefyras


Saint Marcos

It is a small church built in 1770.


Church of Agii Anargyri at Arta

Tel: +30 26810 27533, Fax: +30 26810 28610

GOURIANA (Village) ARTA

KIRKIZATES (Village) ARTA

Agios Nikolaos Rodias


KORONISSIA (Island) ARTA

Church Ghenesiou Theotokou

(= Birth of the Virgin Mary)


KOUKOULIA (Village) ARTA

KYPSELI (Village) ARTA

MEGALOCHARI (Village) ARTA

Monastery Ghenethliou Theotokou (Botsiotissa)


MELISSOURGI (Small town) ARTA

St. Nicholas


MESSOPYRGOS (Village) ARTA

Assumption of the Virgin


MIKROSPILIA (Village) ARTA

Agii Taxiarches

Preserved monument


NEOCHORAKI (Village) ARTA

Panagia tou Bryoni (= Our Lady of Bryoni)

The church dates to the first half of the 13th century.


Kokkini Ecclesia (Red church)

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


PETA (Small town) ARTA

St. George


PIGES (Village) ARTA

Monastery of the Virgin of Seltso


PISTIANA (Village) ARTA

PLISSII (Village) ARTA

Church of Agios Dimitrios Katsouris

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


THEODORIANA (Village) ARTA

Monastery of the Birth of the Virgin


VELENTZIKO (Village) ARTA

Kokkini Ekklisia (Red Church)


VIGLA (Village) ARTA

VOURGARELI (Small town) ARTA

Country churches

Saint Gergios church


Monasteries

ARTA (Town) EPIRUS

KATARRAKTIS (Village) ARTA

Monastery of St. Ekaterini

Tel: +30 26850 51267

MELISSOURGI (Small town) ARTA

Monastery of Kato Panagia

Tel: +30 26810 27660, 24829

  The church is a three-aisled basilica with a transverse barrel-vault. The east side ends in three semi-hexagonal apses while a narthex was later added to the west. The walls are adorned on the outside with a great variety of brick and tile decoration, including an inscription inset in a brick. The interior is richly decorated with wall paintings dated to the 18th century.
  The monastery was built in the 13th century, by Michael Doukas Comnenos, the Despot of Epiros. In the period of the Turkish occupation it was renamed to "Panagia tis Vryseos" (Holy Virgin of the spring), because it was located near a spring. In the sigillium of Patriarch Jeremian II (1591) it is mentioned that the Paregoritissa Monastery became the metochion (dependence) of the Monastery of Kato Panaghia.
  The roof and the windows of the north and south sides were reconstructed in 1969. The restoration of the wall paintings began in 1994, and in 1995 the roof was replaced and the wall masonry was consolidated. The restoration work is still in progress. The monument is now used as a convent for nuns.


PETA (Small town) ARTA

Monastery Theotokiou

Tel: +30 26810 83815

SKOULIKARIA (Village) ARTA

VELENTZIKO (Village) ARTA

Monastery of Rovelista

Tel: +30 26810 67660

VOURGARELI (Small town) ARTA

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.