The monastery is perched dramatically on the edge of a canyon. The name of the monastery (Faneromeni, "revealed") was taken from an icon of the Virgin which was found in a small cave beside the church. The frescoes in this small fourteenth century monastery church are dated 1455 and were blackened by smoke when the church was set on fire to by the Turks. There is an inscription commemorating renovations on the monks cells in 1624.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!