In the centre of the village is the Byzantine church of Agios Thomas in the style of a three-aisled basilica with a narthex in front of the church. The narthex is separated into three parts and is as high as the nave of the main church. There is a large dome at the intersection of the narthex and the nave.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
The church of the Panagia Spiliotisa (Virgin of the Cave) has been
built within a cave of the mountain. Just outside the cave, on the side of the
mountain, there is an ancient Greek inscription of marble. Around 1910 two English
archaeologists secretly excavated a statue of a goddess which is now in Boston.
The small church of Agios Iasatos is both very interesting and unusual.
It has been carved from a large rock and in front of it there are the remains
of an ancient Greek temple.
The Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos is 5 minutes from the
centre of the village and contains frescoes from the twelfth century.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!