Listed 6 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "AKROTIRI Municipality CHANIA" .
MONI AGIAS TRIADAS OF TZAGAROLON (Monastery) CHANIA
Tel: +30 28210 63310
Fax: +30 28210 63328
The monastery of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) of Tzagarolon is one of the most important monastic complexes of the late Venetian period in Crete. According to the historical sources - among them the Venetian archives - the monastery was built by the brothers Jeremiah and Lavrentio Jagarolon, descendants of a great Venetian-Cretan family. The construction began in 1611 and was completed after the fall of Chania to the Ottoman Turks in 1645. During the Ottoman period the monastery was known as the "Selvili Manastir" (the "Monastery with the cypress trees"). The outbreak of the Greek War of Independence in 1821 forces the monks to abandon the monastery which was then looted and burnt down by the Turks. The period of desolation ended in 1834 when the reconstruction of the monastery began followed by a new thriving phase.
Architecturally the complex combines the typical Athos Monastic style - namely the Byzantine tradition - with morphological, mainly decorative, elements of the western ecclesiastical architecture. The main church (katholikon) of Holy Trinity is a significant example of the Cretan Renaissance. It belongs to the circular domed temple type with three niches, narthex and chapels on the ground and the upper level. Apart from the residences for the monks, the complex also included workshops, stables, oil and wine mill, cellars. Impressive is the main entrance of the monastery, also a remnant of the Venetian impact.
Today a small but valuable collection of icons and ecclesiastical heirlooms that have survived the catastrophes of the past is hosted in the monastery, confirming its erstwhile great wealth. Among the most important exhibits are a 12th century manuscript and an ensemble of 16th - 17th century icons, including the "Enthroned Christ", the "Source of Life" and the "Second Coming" (1635-1645), works attributed to the artist from Chania Father Emmanuel Skordilis, an important representative of the Cretan School of icon painting.
The monastery of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) was built in the seventeenth century by two brothers of the Venetian Zangaroli family--monks who had converted to the Orthodox faith. It was built on top of a pre-existing church. The church itself is of Byzantine cruciform architecture with three domes. The larger one is at the intersection of the aisles, while the smaller domes are at the back. The two chapels of the church also have domes, as does the chapel of Sotiras which is independent of the church. The church has a narthex at the front which is at right angles to the main aisle and much wider than it. The main church is dedicated to the Agia Triada and the two side chapels to Agios Ioannis Prodromos. The church is a very good example of the heavy, decorative Western-style influence in the exterior decoration of Byzantine churches. The facade of the church has double columns of Ionic and Corinthian style and an inscription. A large bell tower was added later, in 1864. There are two inscriptions at the entrance to the church: one in Latin and one in Greek, representing the background of the founders. The monastery was an important theological school in the nineteenth century.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
MONI AGIOU IOANNI PRODROMOU (Monastery) AKROTIRI
Tel: +30 28210 64571
MONI GOUVERNETOU (Monastery) AKROTIRI
Tel: +30 28210 63319
The actual Monastery complex was built from 1537 till 1548. According to tradition, it was connected with miraculous St John the Hermit, and was used for the housing of the Saint' s pilgrims. The monastery flourishes during the 16th century, but is partly destroyed in 1765 and during the revolution of 1821. After the liberation, it flourishes one more time, because of its large property in flocks.
The monastery is a typical example of the orthodox monastic architecture. It is formed of a rectangular precinct, with the Katholicon in the middle. The Katholicon is a triconch church with cupola and annexes with pyramidal cupolas ending up in obelisks. There are also the refectory, the kitchens, the storehouses, the oven, the wine cellar, the oil store house and the cells.
The text is cited from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism Webpage
PAZINOS (Settlement) AKROTIRI
Tel: +30 28210 56119, 53033
Fax: +30 28210 59118
In Paxinos (Gallagado), on the road to the airport and Agia Triada,
is the abandoned Agios Ioannis Eleimon Monastery. The cloister is evident within
the fortress style monastery.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!