EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 100 (total found 427) sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "CRETE Island GREECE" .


Places of worship (427)

Cathedrals

CHANIA (Town) CRETE

The Cathedral of the Virgin Mary (Trimartiri)

  The present Cathedral was built on the site of an older church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. This church had been converted into a soap-factory and belonged to the Turkish dignitary Moustafa Pasha Giritli. The construction of the church was completed in 1860 in the style of a three aisle Basilica. The middle aisle, covered by a pointed arch, is elevated. The other aisles are covered by cross-ribbed vaults and are divided vertically by the women’s balcony. On the north side of the temple is the tall bell-tower. The architectural elements of the temple are associated more with the tradition developed in the period of the Venician occupation. That is: sculptured pseudo-pillars, cornices and arched openings. The east wall is decorated with large and impressive religious paintings, the works of G. Kalliterakis, G. Stravrakis, E. Tripolitakis and D. Kokotsis.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.


The Cathedral of St. Minas

The small church of St. Minas did not meet the religious needs of the constantly growing Christian community, so the demand arose for the erection of a new cathedral. The plot for the new church used to be a garden that belonged to a Turk from whom it was bought. The architect was Athanasios Moussis and in 1862 the foundation stone of one of the most magnificent and impressive Greek churches was laid. The outbreak of the Cretan revolution of 1866 demanded the stopping of the building work which will continue in 1883 in order to be completed in 1895, when the inauguration of the exquisite temple took place. The church is of the cruciform type with a dome based on a high spandrel, while internally there are also elements of a three aisle basilica. It has two bell towers, one in the northeastern corner and the other in the southeastern one. The right aisle is dedicated to Apostle Titos and the left one to St. Ten Martyrs of Crete. The inside of the church has gone through many changes with new additions. With plans of the architect Anastasios Orlandos the woodcut icon screen was replaced by another one made of marble, the same happened with the bishop's seat. The religious painting of the church was assigned to St. Kartakis who followed faithfully the principles and the models of the Byzantine icon painting. The hundredth anniversary from the inauguration of the Cathedral Church of St. Minas (1995) was celebrated with every solemnity that is suited in an equal occasion and more specifically to one of the most glorious and imposing Greek churches.

This extract is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Heraklion URL below, which contains images.



Cemeteries

SOUDA (Municipality) CHANIA

Allied Word War ll Cemetery

  Souda has a sign to the Allied Cemetery. It is an impressive place with row upon row of white headstones and the blue waters of Souda Bay beyond. An enclosure at the entrance of the cemetery contains a register of all those buried here. There are 1,527 graves, illustrating the scale of the battle of Crete. Most were British with a large contingent (447) of New Zealanders and 197 Australians. Dudley Perkins, the New Zealand resistant fighter killed near Laki, is buried in row 15C. His story is written in The Cretan Runner by G. Psychoundakis and Vasili, The Lion of Crete by Murray Elliot. Also buried in the cemetery is the eminent archaeologist J. D. S. Pendlebury (10E). Mr. Pendlebury was the curator at Knossos for the British School in Athens and had been continuing excavations in Crete which were started by Arthur Evans. From 1929, he had travelled throughout Crete and won the friendship and respect of many Cretans. He enlisted in the British army when war broke out and was sent back to Crete to organize the resistance. In 1941 he was executed by the Germans while working for British Intelligence. In his eulogy, fellow Greek archaeologist Dr. N. Platon said: "The soil which you excavated with the archaeologists' pick and enriched with a warrior's blood will shelter you with eternal gratitude".

This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Souda has a sign to the Allied Cemetery. It is an impressive place with row upon row of white headstones. An enclosure at the entrance of the cemetery contains a register of all those buried here. There are 1,527 graves, illustrating the scale of the battle of Crete. Most were British with a large contingent (447) of New Zealanders and 197 Australians. Buried in the cemetery is the eminent archaeologist J. D. S. Pendlebury (10E). Mr. Pendlebury was the curator at Knossos for the British School in Athens and had been continuing excavations in Crete which were started by Arthur Evans.


    Churches

    Byzantine church of the Panagia

      The Byzantine church of the Panagia is in Agia Galini cemetery, overlooking the beach. It is of rather unusual architecture with two aisles at right angles to the main east-west aisle of the church.


    AGIA MONI (Monastery) VIANNO

    Agia Moni

      The interesting Agia Moni is about a ten-minute drive from Ano Viannos. The church of the monastery has a very interesting portal.


    Agia Paraskevi and Agios Georgios Church

      At the south entrance of the village is the church of Agia Paraskevi and Agios Georgios. It is a two-aisled church but no frescoes are preserved.


    Byzantine church of the Panagia

      In the village of Agia Paraskevi there is the Byzantine church of the Panagia which contains some well-preserved paintings of good artistic quality. One of the frescoes shows the donors of the church, a priest - Georgios Varouhas - and a woman in black. The head of the priest is an exceptional piece of art. The Panagia Church is in the middle of the village before the modern church.

    This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    The Byzantine church of Agia Triada

      The Byzantine church of Agia Triada is closer to the Samaria Gorge. It had many exterior rosette decorations, some of them surviving today. Two old graves are attached on the outside walls of the church.


    The Byzantine church of the Panagia

      The Byzantine church of the Panagia in Agia Roumeli is a very important church. It is near the beach, after the end of the modern village and before the canyon becomes visible. The church is easily seen from the boats approaching from Sfakia. It was a very old, three-aisled basilica built with very large stones. Only part of the church remains today and the larger original church can be seen around the more recent Byzantine one. In the middle of the church there are traces of mosaics in white, black and red, with geometric motifs. It is believed that parts of the church had no roof. This is one of the earliest basilicas in Crete and the mosaic that can be seen today in the yard of the newer church, surrounded by the walls of the older church, may come from an even earlier Greek temple of the first century B.C.

    This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    The Byzantine church of Agios Pavlos

      You may reach the beautiful Byzantine church of Agios Pavlos by way of a footpath going east from the village of Agia Roumeli. It takes about 30 minutes to reach the church on an easy path that runs beside the sea. The church is on the spot where Saint Paul reportedly baptised people on his way to Rome. It is a very picturesque small church, built on the beach using stones from the beach itself. This is why it is not easy to see the church from far. The church has cruciform architecture with an equidimensional cross and a dome over the centre and is in a superb natural setting. The church was built around the tenth century and the frescoes probably date from the thirteenth century.

    This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    AGIA TRIADA (Settlement) ARKADI

    Byzantine church of Agia Triada and Agios Nikolaos

      In the centre of the village of Agia Triada is the Byzantine church of Agia Triada which contains some frescoes. The church is two aisled (Agia Triada and Agios Nikolaos).


    AGIA TRIADA (Archaeological site) TYMBAKI

    Agios Georgios Galatas Church

    Within the archaeological site of Agia Triada there is the Byzantine church of Agios Georgios Galatas which was reconstructed in 1302 and contains frescoes of the fourteenth century. In the north wall outside the church there is a grave with a relief symbol of the Byzantine empire, the double headed eagle, and the date 1581. The church also has a decoration of a carved melon and an ornately carved door. The altar screen of the church was built of stone. The bell has an inscription.


    Profitis Ilias Church

    The church of the Profitis Ilias, at the north end of the village, is built on a rock considered to be the geographical centre of Crete. There are also nine churches from the Venetian era in the area indicating its former glory.


    Profitis Ilias

      The church of the Profitis Ilias, at the north end of the village, is built on a rock considered to be the geographical centre of Crete. There are also nine churches from the Venetian era in the area indicating its former glory.


    Byzantine church of Agia Zoni

      Attesting to its former importance, this village has eight churches in various states of disrepair. Of the eight, only Agia Zoni contains frescoes worth seeing. The church also possesses some old icons. It is very near the centre of the village.


    AGIOS DIMITRIOS (Settlement) ARKADI

    Byzantine church of Agios Dimitrios

    In the village of Aghios Dimitrios, which is situated 10 km east of Rethymno on the road to Arkadi, the cruciform church of Aghios Dimitrios inscribed with a cupola can be found. It dates back to the 11th century.


    Agios Dimitrios Church

      The large and beautiful Byzantine church of Agios Dimitrios, of cruciform architecture, has a large dome on a drum, several high blind arches for support and decoration and there are remains of frescoes.


    Agios Ioannis byzantine church

      The Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis has frescoes date from the fourteenth century.


    Byzantine church of the Panagia

      The Byzantine church of Panagia has frescoes date from the fourteenth century.


    Byzantine cemetery church of Agios Ioannis

      The Byzantine cemetery church of Agios Ioannis can be seen from the village below the valley. The church contains some frescoes.


    Agios Pavlos Church

      The Byzantine church of Agios Pavlos is surrounded by a small cemetery and is on the east side of the road. The church dates from the fourteenth century and contains frescoes, the best of which are of the Evangelists. The church forms a small cross with a large dome and has a smaller dome above the altar. It has peculiar architecture since its narthex, which is located in the front of the church, is as large as the church itself.

    This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Byzantine church of Agii Theodori

      Between Plora and the Apezanon Monastery is the village of Agios Kirilos. On the north exit of the village, the church of Agii Theodori is located on the top of a hill. The church has a stone altar screen, supporting arches, and there are traces of frescoes.

    This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Agios Nikolaos byzantine church

      In the sixteenth century, the Venetians gave the town its current name, taken from the chapel of Agios Nikolaos on the peninsula of Limena. This small Byzantine church contains rare frescoes from the eighth, tenth and eleventh centuries and is a rare example of a Byzantine church built during the troubled times of the eight century when the Arabs were pressuring the Byzantine empire.

    This extract is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Byzantine church of St. Thomas

      In the centre of the village is the Byzantine church of Agios Thomas in the style of a three-aisled basilica with a narthex in front of the church. The narthex is separated into three parts and is as high as the nave of the main church. There is a large dome at the intersection of the narthex and the nave.

    This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Panagia Spiliotissa

      The church of the Panagia Spiliotisa (Virgin of the Cave) has been built within a cave of the mountain. Just outside the cave, on the side of the mountain, there is an ancient Greek inscription of marble. Around 1910 two English archaeologists secretly excavated a statue of a goddess which is now in Boston.


    Agios Iasatos byzantine church

      The small church of Agios Iasatos is both very interesting and unusual. It has been carved from a large rock and in front of it there are the remains of an ancient Greek temple.


    Michael Archangelos byzantine church

      The Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos is 5 minutes from the centre of the village and contains frescoes from the twelfth century.


    Agios Ioannis Prodromos byzantine church

      Agios Vasilios contains a very old Byzantine church which was renovated in 1291. In the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos there are some interesting, well-preserved frescoes by Fokas. The church belongs to the Sinai Monastery which is near the village.


    Agii Apostoli & Panagia venetian church

      From Agios Vasilios you can reach the church of Agii Apostoli and the Panagia. This is a Venetian church high in the mountains, near a Venetian castle on a difficult road. The church is open and there is a relief of a coat of arms.


    AKOUMIA (Village) LAMBI

    Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos

      In the village of Akoumia is the Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos which contains good fourteenth century frescoes. The man with a red dress on the south wall and the woman with a white dress in the west wall were the donors of the church. Externally the church looks like two churches joined in one.

    This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Sotiras Christos Church

      The church of Sotiras is in the centre of the village.


    Agios Vlassis Church


    Byzantine church of the Panagia

      The Byzantine church of the Panagia in Alagni has cruciform architecture with a dome in the centre. Outside the church there is an interesting old grave.


    The Byzantine church of the Panagia

      The Byzantine church of the Panagia is in the ravine below the Venetian fountain. A small path starts near the road and leads to the nearby church that is hidden by the surrounding trees. The church has interesting wall paintings from 1316 by Ioannis Pagomenos that are in good condition.

    This extract is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Agios Georgios Church

      The Byzantine church of Agios Georgios (1243) is near the Tower of Da Molin, and has wall paintings by Pavlos Provatas.


    Ai Yannis Kyr-Yannis Church

      The very important Byzantine church of Ai Yannis Kyr-Yannis (formal name is Zoodohos Pigi) is on the road to Koufos. It is about 100 metres from the road, set among the orange trees. The church of Ai Yannis Kyr-Yannis (14C) is a most intriguing and pleasantly situated Byzantine church. It was built on a tenth century church that was destroyed by an earthquake in 1303, and had been influenced by the new Byzantine architectural ideas from Agia Sofia, among others. The church has cruciform architecture and rooms of a smaller height complete the church to form a rectangular shape. It has a narthex in front separated into three parts which are shorter than the rest of the church. The church had two domes, one at the intersection of the main aisles of the cross and one in the narthex. Around the church there are blind arches of nearly the same height as that of the church. The windows of the church are narrow and long and have the familiar Byzantine brick decorations around the window. Some windows have a column with a column capital so that two spaces to the right and left are created for the light to come in. The back of the church is decorated by two series of windows and blind arches, one above the other. Inside the church there are remains of marble columns and column heads. Some wall paintings are still visible. The church is tucked away among the orange groves of Kydonia, from which the springtime blossoms' fragrance is exquisite--the snow-capped Lefka Ori complete the scene.

    This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    AMNATOS (Village) ARKADI

    Agia Marina Church

      The Byzantine church of Agia Marina, exactly opposite the treasury, has melon reliefs above its entrance door.


    ANATOLI (Village) IERAPETRA

    Panagia and Agios Nikolaos byzantine church

      The Byzantine church of the Panagia and Agios Nikolaos is a two-aisled church in a superb location within the village which has a view of the valleys below. There is also an old grave in the church.


    Agii Pantes


    Agios Antonios byzantine church

      Agios Antonios Church in Aggeliana has a narthex, an unusually high dome with oval windows.


    ANISSARAKI (Settlement) KANDANOS

    The Byzantine church of Agia Anna

      In Anisaraki there is the church of Agia Anna with frescoes from 1462 and nine donors of the church are shown. The painted stone altar screen (iconostasis) is also a rare feature in this church.


    The Byzantine church of the Panagia

      The church of the Panagia, with good quality, well-preserved fourteenth century frescoes.


    The church of Agia Paraskevi

      The church of Agia Paraskevi with frescoes from the fourteenth century.


    Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos

      The church of Michael Archangelos is in the location Vlahiana, on the east of the village of Ano Asites. The two-aisled church has well-executed decorations in relief on the exteriors of the doors, decorative plates (rosettes), and an unusual back window. From the church there is a good view of the valley below.

    This extract is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Agii Apostoli byzantine church

      The Byzantine church of Agii Apostoli is in the centre of the village, has cruciform architecture with a dome in its centre and a large narthex in the front of the church which is as high as the dome.


    Agia Varvara

      Agia Varvara Church has only one good fresco, that of Sts. Peter and Paul.


    Byzantine church of Agia Pelagia

      An older church, Agia Pelagia, (1360) contains many more frescoes which are in better condition.


    Agia Irini byzantine Church

      Agia Irini, also in Ano Viran Episkopi was the bishopric of Ario for a period. Few marble remains of this three-aisled basilica are visible today. A new church, Agii Anargiri, has been built on top of it.


    ANOGIA (Small town) RETHYMNO

    Agios Ioannis Church

      The church of Agios Ioannis is below the main square near the town hall. One of its aisles still has pleasant frescoes although they are extremely blackened.


    ANOPOLI (Village) SFAKIA

    Agia Ekaterini Church


    ANYDRI (Settlement) PELEKANOS

    The Byzantine church of Agios Georgios

      The Byzantine church of Agios Georgios is in the village of Anidri with well-preserved frescoes of good quality by Ioannis Pagomenos inscribed with the date 1323. On the wall there is a list of the donors of the church. The church has two aisles separated with arches in between, and it also has a transverse aisle, thus forming crosses externally. The church is on the southern edge of the village overlooking the coast of Crete.

    This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Byzantine church of Agios Georgios Xifoforos

      In Apodoulou there is the Byzantine church of Agios Georgios Xifoforos (Sword-bearing) with an inscription of 1496 and frescoes by Iereas Anastasios. The church is a single room with three blind arches on each side, better to support the church and provide more drawing space. Agios Georgios has been painted on his horse between two blind arches.

    This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    APOSTOLI (Village) SYVRITO

    The Byzantine cemetery church of Agios Nikolaos

      The cemetery church of Agios Nikolaos contains fourteenth and fifteenth century frescoes and the paintings of the donor, the man in a strange white gown, are shown. The church, to the right up the steps in the village, has a superb view of the Amari valley.

    This extract is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains image.


    ARADENA (Settlement) SFAKIA

    Michael Archangelos Church

      On the edge of the Aradena Gorge is the fourteenth century Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos, on the cliff overlooking the gorge. This church was built on the ruins of a church from the sixth century. Although the church is locked, its architecture is very attractive, as is its scenic position on the brink of the gorge. The church has a cruciform architecture based on an equidimensional cross. The church has a dome whose drum has narrow curved windows and also fourteenth century frescoes, one of them depicting the donors of the church. The bell of the church has an inscription and a drawing of saints. On November 8 the church celebrates the feast of Michael the Archangel and is open to the public.

    This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Zoodochos Pigi

    At the place ‘Prinias’, near the village Archondiko there is the church of Virgin Mary the Life-giver, with old frescos.


    Agios Ioannis (St. John)

    The church of Agios Ioannis (St. John) on the way to the archaeological site of Galatiani Kefala.


    Panagia of Barozzi

      The Byzantine church of the Panagia of Barozzi is in a neighbourhood with many old Venetian buildings and a pleasant view.


    ARKALOCHORI (Small town) HERAKLIO

    Byzantine church of Michael Archangel

      In the village cemetery there is the Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos. The church has cruciform architecture and the transept is higher than the nave. The church has a narthex with a dome, and decorated blind arches with columns. Its entrance door has interesting decorations and there is an unusual melon relief on the external wall. The church also contains frescoes.

    This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    In the village cemetery there is the Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos. The church has cruciform architecture and the transept is higher than the nave. The church has a narthex with a dome, and decorated blind arches with columns. Its entrance door has interesting decorations and there is an unusual melon relief on the external wall. The church also contains frescoes.


    Virgin Mary

    The church of Virgin Mary in Arkalochori with old frescos


    Profitis Ilias

    The church of Profitis Ilias built at the top of the hill where the ancient cave was found is a landmark of Arkalochori.


    ARMENI (Village) LEFKI

    Byzantine church of the Panagia

      In the village of Armeni is the Byzantine church of the Panagia with relief decorations on the door.


    ARVI (Village) VIANNO

    Michael Archangelos post byzantine church


    Agios Pandeleimonas and Panagia Church

      In the middle of the village is the Byzantine church of Agios Pandeleimonas and the Panagia.


    Late byzantine church of Michael Archangelos

      The church of Michael Archangelos, in Asomatos, south of Arhanes, contains frescoes of a good quality and in good state of preservation dated 1315. The donor of the church is shown with his wife (damaged) offering a model of the church to Michael Archangelos.


    The Byzantine church of Panagia

      Τhe church of the Panagia has a unique relief of the Byzantine eagle carved on the front and inside is a grave with an coat of arms in relief on it.


    ASTRATIGOS (Settlement) KOLYMBARI

    The Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos

      In the area of Astratigos there is the Byzantine church of Michael Archangelos with attractive external door decorations, frescoes and an inscription of 1387. The church of Michael Archangelos, which is beside the large modern church of the village, contains fourteenth century frescoes and a beautifully carved altar screen. One of the wall paintings is a rare portrait of Michael Archangelos on horseback.

    This extract is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    AXOS (Village) KOULOUKONA

    Byzantine cruciform church of Agia Irini

      The Byzantine church of Agia Irini at the crossroads below the cemetery is from the fourteenth or fifteenth century and has cruciform architecture with a dome with many blind arches. The windows and doors have carved decorations on them. A melon carved in stone appears on the exterior of the church.

    This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Agios Ioannis Church

      Agios Ioannis is near the cemetery and has high quality well-preserved frescoes and a mosaic floor.


    AZOKERAMOS (Settlement) ITANOS

    Agios Ioannis Church

      Before the entrance to the village there is the Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis. The church is in the cemetery of the village on the left beside the road and it has a unique carving above the door.


    CHANDRAS (Village) LEFKI

    Agios Georgios


    CHANIA (Town) CRETE

    The Venetian church of Agia Ekaterini

      This is a two-aisled structure with a gabled facade. The base of a two-lobe bell-tower can still be seen in the yard. The door-frames are supported by chiselled pseudo-pillars and are crowned with gothic relief arches. In the interior, the vertical surfaces of the walls are separated with corniced arches. The naves are separated by two arches standing on chiselled pillars. The church dates from the latter half of the 16th century. It is dedicated to St. Catherine and St. John the Hermit.

    This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.


    Agia Magdalini

      This is an idiorythmic architectural type of church with a wide-angled nave ending in an ornamental dome of Russian style. It is surrounded by a perimetric arcade. It was built in 1901-1903 by the High Commissioner of Crete, Prince George, and was named in commemoration of a visit to Hania by his sister, Maria, wife to George, the Grand Duke of Russia. It was inaugurated on 6th January 1903 in the presence of Queen Olga of Greece and Prince George. On his departure, the prince gave the church back to the Municipality and the parish of Halepa.

    This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.


    Agii Anargiri Church

      This is a parish church in a district, in the Old Town, that bears the same name . After the conquest of Hania by the Turks (1645), it was the only church in the city allowed to offer holy services in the Orthodox religion until the 19th century. It is now used as the seat of the Bishop of Kythonia. The church consists of three parts. The arch-covered eastern part was built first. Later an extension was constructed on the west side, and a large nave was added on the north side. Finally, an extension was added to the south. Two icons, one of the Assumption of the Virgin and the other of the Second Coming, both painted in 1625, are of particular interest.

    This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.


    Agios Nikolaos Church in Splantzia

      The building complex of the Dominican Monastery of St. Nicholas, in Splantzia, was build in 1320 by the brotherhood of Candia. The original monastery, as portrayed in old maps, consisted of a church with a tall bell-tower and a two-floor arcade (chiostro) on the north side. The church is a basilica with a nave with an archaless, three part elevated holy sacrement area. The central part and the solum are covered by crossed domes with prominent ribs, while the side parts are covered by pointed arches. The roof of the rest of the church is made of wood and has only two sloping sides. An arched opening led from the nave to the arcade housing the monks' cells. Today only the closed court and part of the north side of the two floor arcade survive. In the years of the Turkish occupation the church was converted into a mosque, the Hioughar Tzamissi (The Sovereign’s Mosque), which was the central Mosque of the city. The Turks added a two-floor minaret on the south-west corner

    This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.


      A plaque at the entrance of Agios Nikolaos gives its history. The church was originally part of the thirteenth century monastery of Agios Nikolaos (the cloister is still evident on the north side of the church). The church of Agios Nikolaos in Chania was considered one of the most important in the city during Venetian times. It was wide and elegant with large pointed arches inside. The church was converted to the Sultan Ibrahim Mosque during the Turkish occupation. Today, although drastically renovated, the external walls and a long domed area separated in small sections on the north side of the church survive. The minaret of the Ibrahim Mosque stands beside the church of Agios Nikolaos and is in desperate need of renovation. During a mild earthquake in May 1994 it was feared that the minaret would collapse.

    This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    The Church of St. Rocco

      The church is still in good condition on the North-west side of "Splantzia Square", near the church of St. Nicholas. It consists of two , arch-covered naves. The older one, in the northern section has no decorations whatsoever. On the contrary, the southern part was built with ashlar-masonry in accordance with the architectural style of the Venician Manierism. Under the cornice of the southern section one can see the following inscription : DEO O(PTIMO) M(AXIMO). ET D(IVO). ROCCO DICATVM. M.D. CXXX (Dedicated to the best and greatest God and the Saintly Rocco 1630). The church was probably built after a plague epidemic; St. Rocco was supposed to protect people from the plague.

    This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Chania URL below, which contains images.


    CHONDROS (Settlement) PELEKANOS

    Agia Paraskevi Church

      In the village of Hondros, is the Byzantine church of Agia Paraskevi, complete with frescoes.


    Byzantine church of Panagia

      The Byzantine church of the Panagia in Houmeriako has very pleasant cruciform architecture with a large dome on it. The dome has artistic blind arches on it and there are also blind arches on the sides of the church. The narthex at the front of the church has a side door.


    CHRISTOS (Settlement) IERAPETRA

    Agia Paraskevi Chapel

      Near Males in the village of Christos there are also some interesting churches, including the small church of Agia Paraskevi located below a spring in a pleasant setting surrounded by large trees.


    Byzantine church of the Panagia Kera

      The Byzantine church of the Panagia Kera has cruciform architecture with a dome on a drum. In front of the church there is a large narthex at right angles to the nave and which is higher than the main part of the church. Between the narthex and the church itself there are two supporting columns in the wall. The church contains frescoes, the most interesting being a large painting of the Virgin Mary. The church's location allows for a marvellous view of the valley.

    This text is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Agios Eftihios Church

    In the area of the village of Chromonastiri and some 12 km from Rethymno the single-aisled, cruciform and domed church of Aghios Eftychios is situated at the place of Perdiki Metochi. The interior walls are covered with frescoes dating back to the 11th century.


    Agios Eftihios Church

      The Byzantine church of Agios Eftihios is a large church that has cruciform architecture with a large dome on the intersection of the nave and transept. The overall architecture of the church is cruciform. The back of the church has a window separated in two by a column. The interior of the church is very beautiful. It is decorated with bricks in the traditional Byzantine manner. Some traces of frescoes still remain in the church which reflect the so-called Macedonian style from Constantinople.

    This extract is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    DELIANA (Village) KOLYMBARI

    Agios Ioannis Church

      In the village of Deliana, in Prodromos, there is the Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis. The church has an incredibly elegant portal decorated with fine reliefs from the grave of Venieri. The church also has wall paintings that are very well-preserved and especially interesting is the head of John the Baptist on a platter.

    This extract is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    DRAKONA (Village) KOLYMBARI

    Agios Stefanos Church

      The church of Agios Stefanos is from the first Byzantine period (9C). The church is open to visitors and has interesting frescoes. It is a very old, single-roomed church in the dark-green surroundings of tall trees and is excellently preserved.

    This extract is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    Agia Anna & Agios Nikolaos byzantine church

      Agia Anna and Agios Nikolaos is the cemetery church of the village. It is a two-aisled church and contains frescoes from the fifteenth century.


    DRIMISKOS (Village) LAMBI

    Byzantine church of the Panagia

      In Drimiskos there is the Byzantine church of the Panagia which has pleasing outside decorations and a stone carving in the form of a melon. The church contains good quality but mostly white-washed frescoes. Remainders of an earlier building are in front of the church.


    ELEFTHERNA (Village) ARKADI

    Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos

      On the eastern side of the acropolis hill, reached through the village of ancient Eleftherna, there is the Byzantine church of Sotiras Christos from the tenth century, which contains frescoes of the twelfth century. It has cruciform architecture and a rectangular shape. The church has re-used materials from an earlier church of the sixth century, a basilica which is believed to have been the bishopric of Eleftherna during the first Byzantine period. Lower still, on the same dirt track, there are the remains of another basilica of the first Byzantine period, a Roman villa, and of a second Greek bridge.

    This extract is cited Nov 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


    ELENES (Village) SYVRITO

    Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos

      In the village of Elenes there is the Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos with pleasant wall paintings dated 1609 as well as old icons in the church.


    ELOS (Village) INACHORI

    Agios Ioannis Church


    Panagia late byzantine church

      In the church of the Panagia (by the clock-tower), from the fourteenth century, there are interesting frescoes.


    Archangel Michael

    Byzantine monument decorated with frescoes of the provincial palaeologian style.


    You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

    Ferry Departures
    From

    Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.