Listed 12 sub titles with search on: Main pages
for wider area of: "AMORGOS
Main pages (12)
Amorgos is a remarkably unspoiled island at the south-eastern edge
of the Cyclades group, where traditional customs are still inextricably interwoven
into a landscape as rich in beauty as in its history. Originally inhabited by
seafarers from Asia Minor in the 4th Century BC, the island now cradles a people
who enjoy a lifestyle that has been shaped by a varied and dramatic past. This
is a place that appears untouched by time, but where the inhabitants quietly preserve
one of the best kept secrets of the Aegean.
The length of the island is 33 kms and its width between 1,5 to 6
kms. There are three mountain peaks "Krikelos" (822m) to the north, "Profitis
Ilias" (699 metres) in the middle and "Korax" (607 metres) to the south-west.
The dramatic mountain scenery provides a fine backdrop to some excellent walking.
Meadows and areas for cultivation, can be found in the area of Aegiali
at the north, in Katapola
at the centre, and at Arkesini
the southern part of the island. There are two ports on the island: of Katapola,
and of Aegiali, where ferries, catamaran and hydrofoils call, connecting Amorgos
with the other islands and the main land.
...There are several beaches along the coast line. In Aegiali, the beach is long and sandy, and starts from the edge of the fishing village Ormos. "Levroso", "Psili Ammos" and "Hohlakas" are 15 min. walk from the port, and can also be reached by small boat on a regular schedule.
On the nearby small uninhabited island of Nikouria, there are two nice sandy beaches, where small boats cross people for swimming, from the bay of "Agios Pavlos".
...On the other steep side of Amorgos, bellow the Byzantyne Monastery
of Virgin Mary Chozoviotissa, the beach of Agia Anna, is famous for the clear
blue and turquoise waters. Going south, at the same side of the island, "Mourou
" beach is very popular to all for the clear waters, the dark thick sand and the
two caves where one can swim in. In Arkesini, "Kalotaritissa,"
"Kato Kambos" and "Paradisia"
beaches are some among others found at the South end of Amorgos. The island has
a population of about 1.800 which is found in the port of Katapola, in Chora,
the capital, up in the mountains overlooking the east coast, in the port of Aegiali,
in the three villages of Lagada,
Tholaria and Potamos
and in the small villages of South Amorgos: Vroutsi,
The Chora is - without doubt - one of the prettiest towns to be seen on the Cyclades. It stands nearly 400 metres above sea level with views of both the east and west coasts of Amorgos. Forty churches are dotted around the village and there are beautiful shaded squares and narrow lanes to wander around beneath the Venetian Castle. There are a few taverns in the village, which offer excellent food, and some cafes
Aegiali is an Amorgian small world consisted of its three traditional villages, Langada, Tholaria and Potamos climbing the slope of the highest mountain
on Amorgos, Krikellos (821). They are built above the deep valley and the harbor of Aegiali, which is a port with all the tourist services available. A beautiful sandy beach spans the gentle curve of the bay.
Gramvousa. A small island with sandy beaches across from Kalotaritissa beach on South Amorgos. Good fishing and snorkeling area. Is used as a resting spot for immigrating birds.
Kalotaritissa. A long sheltered sandy beach on the southern part of Amorgos, where many fishing boats and fishermen can be seen.
Katapola itself is busy with a waterfront lined with cafes, taverns and mini-markets and a shelter for sailing boats. On the hill above Katapola, the excavations of the ancient city of Minoa, are of significant value. At the head of the bay lies Rahidi, with the large church of St George and the village that lies behind it. The most picturesque part of Katapola is the third section called Xilokeratidi, with its pretty narrow streets and a couple of taverns where you can sit in the shade of large trees and enjoy the view.
Langada is located at the end of the valley in an idyllic location among steep rocky peaks and deep valleys. It is quite easy to reach the port from here on foot or by a car. There are exciting sights to be discovered while hiking or walking on the numerous trails of the area. The gorge of Araklos, the historical church of Agia Triada, the old church of Panagia Epanohoriani, the half-ruined settlement of Stroumbos and the exceptional beauty of the natural landscape can be admired.
Within one hour's walk from Langada one can see the unique Byzantine monument of Theologos, a monastery of early Byzantine years. A bit further, the historical little chapel of Stavros is situated. In most of these locations traditional festivals take place every year, in memory of the patron saints, and many people from the island participate in the celebrations.
The Ancient site of Minoa, at Moundoulia Hill, above the port of Katapola,
was one of the most important centers of human life and activity on the island
throughout prehistoric times. Enormous excavation project reveals evidence that
the whole site of ancient Minoa was constantly populated at a high cultural level
from the 10th century B.C. to the 4th century A.D. The defensive wall from the
Geometric period with its extensions and bastions which surrounded the acropolis
can be made out. The long 4th century B.C. Gymnasium building dominates the archaeological
site. The foundation of a sanctuary from the Geometric period have been preserved
at the peak of the acropolis. The Hellenistic temple on the far left, surrounded
by smaller buildings of worship is impressive with the body of a statue standing
alone in the middle. A characteristic building on the south side of the Gymnasium
site is the lavatory which has been preserved almost intact with its duct cut
into the rock..
Tel: +30 22850 71274
The Byzantine Monastery of Panagia Chozoviotissa is located on a steep cliff, 300 m. above sea level,
which overhangs the southeastern coast of the capital (Chora) of Amorgos.
The position, inaccessible and imposing, is visible only from the sea.
The name of the monastery is a corruption of the name Choziva or Koziva, a location in the Holy Land,
where the Orthodox monastic tradition flourished since the early Christian times. In the oral tradition of Amorgos survived
the narrative of the miraculous advent of the icon of Panagia on the island during the period of Iconoclasm. The monastery
heirlooms include two icons bearing the inscription ΧΩΖΗΒΙΤΙCΑΣ (CHOZIVITISSA). In fact, the co-study of Byzantine historical
sources, of the events of this turbulent era in the eastern Mediterranean and in Palestine, and of later ecclesiastical documents
(codices and patriarchal sigillia) suggests that the first building on site dates to the 9th century AD, when the icon first came on the island,
thus supporting the oral tradition.
Decisive evidence regarding the foundation history of the monastery provides the inscription preserved on a silver hexapterygon
(metal disk with a representation of the six-winged Serapheim) of 1652, according to which the monastery was rebuilt (or fundamentally renovated)
by the Byzantine emperor Alexios A’ Komninos (1081-1118), whose decree of 1088, giving stauropegic rights to the monastery, is also known to us
from literary ecclesiastical sources.
Hence a Middle- and Late Byzantine monument, the monastery comprises a building complex, fully incorporated to its surrounding environment.
The steep uneven land imposed a multi-level plan evolved in eight floors, so that the monument seems like a white expansion of the rock. At the centre of the
complex lies the small vaulted church, which is surrounded by the numerous monks cells, along with a series of auxiliary spaces (kitchen, bakery, storerooms,
wine press), cisterns and wells. Staircases, built or carved in the rock, lead from one level to another. In terms of layout, building technique and architectural
form the complex is a typical example of the popular island architecture of Greece, preserving additionally important elements of the past, such as the Byzantine
arches or the pointed arches of the Venetian period (1296-1537).
An exhibition of the monastery heirlooms was organized in 1978 and is open since then to the public. Among the most important exhibits of the
- Codices in pergamene (10th- 15th centuries) or paper (13th-19th centuries), sigillia and printed Evangelia.
- Important specimens of ecclesiastical gold-embroidery decorated with precious stones. Also metal components of clerical vestments created by several workshops
of silver craft. In their majority the exhibits date to the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Valuable ecclesiastical objects and vessels, such as icons, crosses, chalices, candle stands, oil candles etc.
Nikouria. A small uninhabited island in front of Aegialis Bay, famous for its coin production in antiquity and later used as a refuge for lepers,. Today, visitors enjoy its beautiful sandy beaches.
There are regular crossings in the summer by caique. It is ideal location for snorkeling.
Paradissia. It is located below the beautiful church of Agia Paraskevi, where the big festival of the 26th July takes place in Kolofana,It is a small sandy beach where the remains of an early-Christian basilica has been splashed by the waves for centuries.
Tholaria, with its extremely hospitable people is built close to the location of the ancient city of Aegiali (Vigla). The village celebrates on the 1st of July the name day St. Anargiri. The good location of the village allows easy access to many beaches and the port. The crystal clear sea of Aegiali offers unforgettable moments. Besides the main sandy beach, locarions suitable for swimming are Levrosos, Psili amos and Hochlakas, where the tranquility of the location brings peace and relaxation to visitors.