gtp logo

Location information

Listed 55 sub titles with search on: Main pages  for wider area of: "LESVOS Prefecture NORTH AEGEAN" .


Main pages (55)

Miscellaneous

Afalonas Community

AFALONAS (Village) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22510 31724

Agaryones Community

AGARYONES (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 51289
  We do not know if the village called Agariones is the one mentioned as Arioni in the monasteries' documents of 1355 or the one referred to as Kariones in the codes of Pantokratoros Monastery. Anyway, the Monastery of Pantokratoros seemed to have had a significant property in region: The farmhouse of Ano Chorion, the Monastery of Christ's Metamorphosis and a tower called Alexopyrgos. This tower was built in honour of the founder of Pantokratoros Monastery, Alexios Komninos or Alexios Strategopoulos.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Agia Marina Community

AGIA MARINA (Village) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22510 61264

AGIA SOFIA (Settlement) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
  One of the most isolated and ancient villages is Aghia Sophia. It is documented since 1303. Limnian traditional architecture is well preserved. One can also see ruined windmills around.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Agios Dimitrios Community

AGIOS DIMITRIOS (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 61366
  There was once a king of the island who decided to distribute it to his two sons. So he decided that the best would be if each of his two sons started to walk from the two extreme points of the island, Myrina and Plaka. The point where they would meet would be the center and would become the border of each one's possession. Curiously they met where the village of Aghios Demetrios is built today. The one walking form Plaka had started much earlier than the other one. So the other one called him "lera", which in Greek means deceit. Since then the village was named Lera. It was one of the few villages on the island with Turkish population before 1912. After the population exchanges, 556 refugees from Reis Dere of Asia Minor settled in the village and named it Aghios Demetrios. Aghios Demterios was their patron Saint at Reis Dere. They used to cultivate vineyards and produce most of the Limnian vine. Most of them are excellent musicians.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

AGIOS EFSTRATIOS (Island) NORTH AEGEAN
  The famous geographer of antiquity, Pausanias, claimed that Agios Ephstratios's island emerged from the sea the time the Homeric Chrisi sank in the north part of Lemnos. Furthermore he determines that time of the geologic changes in 197 B.C. because of the fact that the island was a new one in the northeast Aegean it was called "Nea", which means new.
  Although there are not many indications, however, we can say that the island was inhabited in the prehistoric period and specifically, in Mycenaean times. There are plenty of remains of the historic period - columns, coins, fragments of vessels, pieces of sculpture.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Prefecture of Lesvos & Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet.

Alyfanta Community

ALYFANTA (Village) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22510 20243

ANAXOS (Settlement) LESVOS
  Anaxos is a seaside resort extending rapidly in an ample plain. In the Anaxos gulf a sandy beach is forming the beauty of the area and promotes the touristic development. The village has many taverns and bars. In addition one can also find offices for renting cars and motorcycles. The yearly feast takes place on July 27, celebrating Saint Pandelehimon. Anaxos, not far to walk to Petra provides an extensive amount of accommodation, and many other services. Hotel/studio/apt are build rapidly here to cover any tourist’s desire. Hotels at "ANAXOS BEACH" are located on the beach of Anaxos, near Petra and are very close to the shopping and entertainment establishments.

This text is cited Mar 2003 from the Municipality of Petra URL below, which contains images.


Atsiki Community

ATSIKI (Small town) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
  Atsiki is one of the richest villages, as it exists in the center of an open and fertile plain. Till 1914 it was a municipality. As it is referred to since 1284, it is also one of the most ancient villages. The last pirate fight took place in the Aegean Sea around 1860.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Dafni Community

DAFNI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 61346
  The village Daphni was once called Sverdia. The church honoured in the name of Aghioi Anargyroi was found here in 1856, when the icon of the Saints - Kosmas and Damianos - was revealed in a crypt dug in the earth. These Saints are still believed to be miracle-makers. According to tradition the abundant water of the region is a result of a miracle of Aghios Athanassios, who founded the first Monastery at Athos. Once the Saint was passing from the area, and he felt thirsty, he struck the earth with his stick and water sprung out.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Fyssini Community

FYSSINI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 91140
  Physsini is mentioned during the last century. Nevertheless ruins belonging to medieval buildings are found there. The place names of the region are documented since the 14th century. The characteristic type of the Limnian rural house is still preserved here. At a distance from the village is the church of Aghios Sozon, the main saint worshipped on the island. Guest rooms have been built to serve the worshippers who usually come here the evening before the holy day, to attend the vespers.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

GOMATI (Beach) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
  The coast at Gomati has one of the most sandy shores on the island. In this region, during the 14th century, many settlements existed and some farm-houses belonging to the Monasteries of Athos. The one named Theomitoros was the most important possession of Megisti Lavra on the island. Till 1928 a monk lived here. The small uninhabited island just north of Gomati, called Sirghisti - the Byzantine Sideritis - also belonged to the Monastery. Papia, which is a coast in the east, is known as an excellent fishing place.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Monastery of Leimon (Moni Leimonos)

IERA MONI LIMONOS (Monastery) LESVOS
Tel: +30 22530 22289
  The Monastery of Leimon is a men's convent, situated in the centre of Lesbos, at a 14 km distance from Kalloni, in a fertile basin. It was founded in Byzantine years and was inhabited until the occupation of the island by the Turks. The monastery was re-founded in 1526 by Saint Ignatios Agallianos, a significant personality who contributed in the rebirth of both education and the Church. At that time the well-known "Leimonias" school - which remained open until 1923 - functioned within the monastery's enclosure.
  The katholikon (main church) was built in 1526, at the time of the monastery's reformation and was repeatedly restored. It is a three-aisled basilica with the roof of the middle aisle higher than the other two and a double narthex. It is decorated with interesting wall paintings that date in the second half of the 16th and the first half of the 17th century. Worth mentioning is the wooden-carved gilded templon in the church's interior.
  Today in the monastery there is an important library with manuscripts and a vestry.

Kaliopi Community

KALIOPI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 41336
  According to tradition, Kalli was a woman who owned large areas of fertile land. Her obedients created the village Kalliopi. Her sarcophagus - made of marble and decorated with engraved representations - is built in a wall that surrounds the cemetery of the village. The church of Aghios Georgios was built in 1869. Aghios Ceorgios is honoured with horse races. The riders compete on horses without saddles. The winner, after running around the temple three times, accepts the prize from the priest at the ante-temple and goes into the church on the horse to light a candle in honour of the saint. The prize once was a lamb with a red ribbon around its neck. Today it is just a medal with a red ribbon.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Kaspakas Community

KASPAKAS (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 61615
  Kaspakas is one of the most ancient villages of the island. It was first inhabited at the end of the 11th or at the beginning of the 12th century. Founder of the village was a Byzantine admiral, Kaspakas who built a tower in the land given to him by the emperor Alexios A Komninos. It was said that Dukas Alexios Mourtzouflos, a Byzantine emperor, had recoursed at the village when he was persecuted by the crusaders the crucial night of the 12th of April 1204, when Constandinoupolis was conquered by them. The cape just north of Kaspakas is still called Mourtzouflos. Coasts of the region are Aghios Yiannis and Karvounolakkos. On the rocky slopes at the coast of Aghios Yiannis a small church was built before 1858. On the road from Kaspakas to Kornos one can see the church of Aghios Georgios. The land around once belonged to the Monastery of Aghios Stefanos Kastamonitis of Mount Athos since 1363. As the water of this region was abundant, a laundry house was constructed. A few stone basins are whatever remained from it.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Katalakko Community

KATALAKO (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
  Katalakko was not accidentally named so. Katalakkos in Greek means something put in a pit. The village fits its name as it is built in a region surrounded by many hills. In 1856 the church of Aghios Modestos was found. Aghios Modestos is the Saint who protects the stock-breeders, especially their cattle. On the 18th of December - when the Saint is honoured - many kechaghiades used to come to Kalakko from their mandres. Kechaghiades in the local dialect means stock-breeders and mandra is their farm house. These kechaghiades used to wear white breeches, a white cap and leather shoes called tservoulia. They danced local dances, like the kechaghiadikos and the patma.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Kondias Community

KODIAS (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
  Kondias was a municipality till 1914. It was mentioned that many years ago two Peloponnesian landowners used to live here. Their names were Kondeas and Chandreas. So the village was named Kondias and the river of the region, Chandrias. Kondias is undoubtedly one of the most traditional villages of the island. The stone built houses are quite characteristic. Many of these once belonged to shipowners, who lived in the village. Coming out of the village to Tsimandria one meets plane trees and eucalyptus, quite impressive for the island.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Kontopouli Community

KONTOPOULI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 41328
  Kondopouli remains one of the largest villages on the island. The soil here is quite productive and people still cultivate land intensively. It flourished especially during the last century. During the German occupation, great destruction was caused in the village, but is still keeps part of its preceding prestige. According to tradition the columns of Aghios Demetrios are ancient, in a secondary use. Although this does not seem to be right, since the columns most likely have been engraved during the last century. In 1948, poet Yiannis Ritsos lived in exile in Kondopouli.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Kornos Community

KORNOS (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 61230
  Kornos is first referred to in 1361 in register documents concerning the possessions of Megisti Lavra in the area. It is written that the inhabitants of Kornos - then called Koronos - were yielded to the Monastery. Till 1914 it was a municipality and rather one of the richest villages of the island. It is not a coincidence that many of the owners of the houses of Romeikos Gialos descend from Kornos. The village in cooperation with the municipality of Myrina is profiting from Therma, medicinal water sources of the region. Therma have been in use since 1415.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

LAFIONAS (Village) LESVOS
  Some five kilometres to the southwest of Petra, οn the Roudi hill, with a panoramic sea view, is the village of Lafiona, or Lathiona (from the ancient Greek verb "lanthano", to lie hidden).
  Α little beyond the village square is the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin, a three - aisled basilica built in 1807 and renovated in 1920.
  The Church of St. Parasceva holds a major fair οn 26 Ju1y, at which the traditional "kίskek" is served, after being lovingly concocted in the shade of the age - old plane trees. Το the south of the village, two kilometres αway, οn α flat spot covered with pines and plane trees, are the ruins of an Early Christian church and the Chapel of St. Alexander.
  Nearby, α sarcophagus of grey trachyte in which in all probability the ascetic St. Alexander was buried, has survived.
  From the abandoned mountαin village οf Κlapados, which is οn the southern boundaries of the Municipality of Petra and was the site of the last victorious battles of the Greek troops against the Turks in December 1912 for the liberation of Lesvos, an enchanting ecological route starts out to Αghios Alexandros, through α publicly - owned pine wood of great beauty.
  On this route, it is possible from α high vantage point to appreciate the full grandeur of Anaxos, Petra, Mithymna, and Eftalou.

This text is cited Mar 2003 from the Municipality of Petra URL below, which contains images.


Lisvori Community

LISVORI (Village) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22520 71115

Livadochori Community

LIVADOCHORI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 92451
  Livadochori is first referred in 1355. As it is located in the center of a fertile plain it was quickly developed. Part ot its importance must be due to the neighbouring Monastery of Aghios Pavlos, where the Limnian Metropolis was transferred after 1390 and before 1447. This Monastery possessed a quite large region, the most fertile on the island. It was said that Constandinos Palaiologos himself gave the Monastery to the Limnian population in order to use its income for educational and ecclesiastical purposes. In the beginning of the 19th century a Sultan's document was granted to the Christian community. Since then it is administered by a Pallimnian Committte.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Loutra Community

LOUTRA (Small town) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22510 91233

Moria Community

MORIA (Small town) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22510 31537

Moudros Community

MOUDROS (Small town) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
  The village of Moudros until 1914 constituted a municipality. It still is the economic center of eastern Limnos. The village is first referred to in 1355. Around 1380 it belonged to the Monastery of Vatopedion of Mount Athos. During the 18th century two castles were preserved here. The one of Moudros and another one given to the Monastery of Vatopedion in 1362 by the Great Military Commander of Limnos, Georgios Astras. Today two churches exist in Moudros: Taxiarches, probably built in 1370 and Evangelistrias, built in 1904. Moudros owes its importance especially to the port. It is one of the best natural ports in the Mediterranean if not the best. The gulf of Moudros protected from the northern winds and the streams coming from Dardanellia, is navigable even by large ships. During the Balkan wars, the gulf was used as a starting point from Pavlos Koudouriotis. During 1914-1916 it constituted one of the nautical bases for the alliances in the enterprises of Kallipolis and those of Dardanellia. Moudros also served as an anchorage for about 500 ships and as much as 30.000 soldiers camped here. Their presence contributed to the trade flourish. Coming out of Moudros, on the road to Roussopouli, is the alliance cemetery. Many victims of the 1st World War were buried here in clusters depending upon their nationality.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Mytilini Community

MYTILINI (Town) LESVOS
  Standing on seven green hills rooted in the heart of the Aegean, spreads the city of Mytilene with a history which begins in the third millennium B.C.
  Contemporary Mytilene with a population of thirty thousand is built on the ruins of the ancient namesake city, the birthplace of leading intellectual personalities throughout the centuries.
  The greatest lyrical poets of all times were born here, Sapho (700-600 B.C.) and Alcaeos (640-560 B.C.) as well as Pittacos one of the Seven Sages of antiquity.
  The intellectual tradition continues to modern days with Odysseas Elytis (1911-1996) winner of the 1979 Nobel Prize for literature.
  A walk through the picturesque neighbourhoods, the Promenade and the traditional commercial street (Hermou) from the Ancient Port in Epano Skala to Kioski and Sourada will convince the visitor of the warm hospitality of the natives and he will admire the exquisite, preserved historical Mansions of various architectural styles.
  The city is adorned with imposing churches, most distinguishing among them the Metropolis Cathedral with the 33m. gothic steeple built in the 17th century and the domed church of St. Therapon (1880).
  Of much interest is the Monastery of St. Rafael just 12Klm. from Mytilene nesteled in the olive groves of Karyes, Thermi.
  Mytilene is the headquarters of the Ministry of the Aegean and the University of the Aegean. The city has an international airport and harbour which connect the island with Athens, Peraeus, Thessaloniki, Volos, Kavala, Alexandroupoli and the islands of Limnos, Chios, Samos, Icaria, Kos, Rhodes, Crete, e.t.c.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Tourism Committee Municipality of Mytilini tourist pamphlet.

Nea Koutali Community

NEA KOUTALI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 92383
  Nea Koutali is a refugee village. It was created in 1926 when 351 people from the little island Koutali of Propondida came here. They continued to fish sponges near the coasts of North Africa. Panagis the Koutalian was probably the most famous of them all. He lived at the end of the last century and became famous as a wrestler.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Pamfyla Community

PAMFILA (Small town) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22510 31261

Panagia Community

PANAGIA (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 94206
  Around 1866 certain families left Aghios Ipatios and settled in Panaghia. A year before - in 1865 - the church of Panaghia was built on top of ruins of an older one, which was called Panaghia Sergouniotissa.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Panagiouda Community

PANAGIOUDA (Village) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22510 31282

Pedino Community

PEDINO (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 92435
  Pedino or Pisperago as it was earlier named is refered to on a golden bull document in 1393 in which the possessions of Pantokratoros Monastery are described. This was one of the villages of Limnos which owned sailing vessels during the last century. It was destroyed by the earthquakes in 1968 and transferred to the region of Nea Koutali. However many of the houses of the village, most of them with beautiful gardens, have been rebuilt and are inhabited.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

PETRI (Settlement) LESVOS
  The small settlement, only 3 km on the eastern side of Petra, and surrounded by walnut trees and poplars is called Petri. In summertime Petri becomes an international haunt, since many foreigners have bought houses here. In Petri one can enjoy the panoramic view of all the area of Petra and especially the breath - taking sunsets. The yearly feast takes place on July 7, celebrating Saint Kiriaki.

This text is cited Mar 2003 from the Municipality of Petra URL below, which contains images.


Plaka Community

PLAKA (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 94240
  Plaka was established during the last century. Northeast of the village is the cape of Vriokastro or Palaiokastro, where Kritovoulos the Imbrian disembarked when the island was occupied by the Turks. In the reefs of Mythones an ancient town is sunk. The ruins of the houses and the paved roads are well distinguished under the sea level. It is believed that this town is Homeric Chryssi which was sunk in 197 B.C. according to Pausanias. In this town, according to mythology the snake bit Philoctetes, the hero of the Trojan war. The most beautiful of the correlated traditions believes that Philoctetes was cured by the clay which exists at the site Roussounia, near Aghios Charalambos. This clay was quite effective for those who suffered form rheumatisms. The Christian view states that the root of the tree that exists near Aghios Charalambos came alone form the sea with the icon of the saint on it. From this root - it never gets rotten although it is always wet - sacred water is derived.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Platy Community

PLATY (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 24120
  Plati tends to become the suburb of Myrina. Many of Myrinas' inhabitants built their houses "on the road to Plati". Besides, Plati's coasts are well valued and are probably the most popular on the island. The village is first referred to in a golden bull document of 1355. This document grants the village to the Monastery of Philothei of Mount Athos. Turks used to call it Passa-Port.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Plomari Community

PLOMARI (Small town) LESVOS
  Plomari is a small town with 4.000 people. It's situated in the Southern part of the island of Lesvos between the two gulfs of Kalloni and Gera.
  It's the second biggest town on the island after the capital, Mytilene, and it's about 40 klm from it.
  At first Megalochori, which is a village 15 klm north of modern Plomari, 600 m. high in the mountains, was called Plomari and it can be considered the metropolis of Plomari.
  Fear of the pirate invasions kept the residents of Plomari far form the sea for a lot of years. But when conditions of security were established and there was no fear of pirates, Plomarians came to live near the sea and started building their new town in the place where it is today.
  With the help of experienced sailors, some of whom came from the South Aegean Sea, Plomarians built up a good navy.
  Besides that, they were occupied with agriculture and with their hard work and patience they changed the mountains to endless olive tree fields by building low stone walls even on the steepest mountainous slopes to created the suitable territorial conditions fro the growing of olive trees.
  Since then olive oil has been a valuable and unique product of the area.
  Before the island's liberation from the Turks (6th November, 1912) Plomari had 10.000 inhabitants and it was full of life.
  It used to have ten olive press factories, four soap factories, one factory crushing olive kernels to turn them into fuel and fie ouzo factories.
  After the destruction of Asia Minor, it lost its biggest and most important area of financial and commercial trade. So Plomarians started to emigrate to bigger cities in Greece and abroad. More than half the population of the town emigrated and many villages were deserted.
  Plomari of today has quite changed and is different from the one people used to know. People's occupations, their social status and the building space, which is being extended all the time to the east and to the south, are changing continually.
  Most of the inhabitants make their living by collecting olives during winter and from tourism during summer.
  The very clean sea and the wonderful beaches of Saint Isidoros, Amouleli, and Red Rocks are an irresistible attraction for tourists.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Municipality of Plomari & Committee of Touristic Development of Plomari tourist pamphlet (1989).

Polichnitos Community

POLICHNITOS (Small town) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22520 41212, 42980, 41223
Fax: +30 22520 41201, 42800

Portiano Community

PORTIANO (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 51222
  The Alliance Army had encamped at Portianou in 1915. There Winston Churchill installed his head quarters while conducting the enterprises of the Allied Powers at Kallipolis. The house where he used to live was recently renovated. The cemetery of those killed at Kallipoli lies just outside Portianou. A folklore Museum exists in Portianou. This is the first and only one of its kind on the island.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Propouli

PROPOULI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
  The smallest village of Limnos is Propouli. It is first referred in a document concerning the properties of the Dionyssos Monastery of Mount Athos. It is said that the Christians who lived here gave their properties to the Monastery of Simonos Petra of Athos as they did not want these transferred to the Turks. A few Turks lived here before 1912 and they had constructed a hamam - a Turkish bath-house.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Psilometopo Community

PSILOMETOPO (Village) LESVOS
Tel: +30 22530 91243
  Two kilometres east of Stypsi is Ipsilometopo, a small and attractive village, buried in its green trees.
  The Church of the Archangel (Taxiarches), at the entrance to the village, a work of 1807, is a scheduled monument. It is a three-aisled building in dark trachyte, with three conches, three altars and a very fine carved and gilded wooden sanctuary screen.
  The spring of Aslanis, amid tall plane trees, is well known for its crystal-clear water. The Women's Agro-Tourism and Craft Industry Co-operative of Stypsi-Ipsilometopo has a second workshop here.
  Two kilometres from the village is the Chapel of St Demetrius, built in 1954 on the site of the sanctuary of an Early Christian three-aisled basilica, of which the column bases and numerous architectural members have survived, scattered here and there or built into the chapel.
  The fair of St Marina at Ipsilometopo on 17 July is very well attended.

Repanidi Community

REPANIDI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 41180
  Repanidi is also referred to in the documents since 1285. It is also one of the most wealthy villages, as the plain is quite large and the earth fertile. Clusters of oak-trees exist in the plain. They must have been the remains of a forest. The acorns were once a trade good and the inhabitants owned sailing ships to transport them. The oldest church of the village, Aghios Georgios was built around 1840. The interior was decorated with a plaster plant-like decoration. One of the first schools of the island was established in a mill, later in a potter's shop until 1875, when the school was built. As one enters the village - from the side of Kotsinas - he will see the famous jars dug in the volcanic stone. They belong to some families of the village and are used for storing wine and grains.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Romano Community

ROMANO (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 71468
  Romanou was first mentioned at the end of the 18th century especially for its stone - grey-black granite - from which most residences of the island were built. At the entrance of the village is a fountain which was restored in 1849. The water is believed to be sacred. The church of the Christ’s Genesis was built in 1830. The hagiographies that decorate the interior were created by the famous Imvrian painter Efstatios Haemente. In some distance from the village is the church of Aghios Constandinos. Worshippers from all over the island used to come here on the 21st of May to honour the saint and they still continue to do so.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

ROMEIKOS GIALOS (Beach) MYRINA
  Just below the castle (of Myrina) and across Mount Athos is Romeikos Gialos. In this area in antiquity a cow image - made of whitestone or bronze - was standing. Sophocles refers to this in the one and only line saved from his tragedy "Limniades" "Athos overshadows the backs of Lemnian cow". In fact it is said that on the 2nd of June Mount Athos really does overshadow Romeikos Gialos.
  Along the seaside appear the houses of Limnian aristocracy - neoclassical - built during the second half of the 19th century. These residences belong to the descendants of those Limnians who left the island, in order to save themselves from the Turks just after Orlof left the island. During the last century they developed their economic superiority from ships - about 300 sailing ships - and enterprises they owned in Egypt. They also owned the most fertile pieces of land on the island. These residences are referred as "the result of Egyptian remittances and European eclecticism".
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Sardes Community

SARDES (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 61258
  Sardes is a mountainous and rather isolated village. It is referred to as Ardeiai since 1284. The houses are typical examples of Limnian rural architecture. Stone built with two stories. They have an external staircase bringing to the balcony. People used to live upstairs, while the place downstairs was used for the animals. Most of the houses had a small courtyard with a wall built around it.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

SKOUTAROS (Small town) LESVOS
  Skoutaros is some eight kilometres west of Petra. A large semi - mountain village, it stands on the green northern slope of Skoteino, from which in α11 probability it takes its name.
  Its residents are chiefly farmers, stockbreeders and olive - growers, but in recent years, considerable numbers have been involved with tourism. It has two olive presses, one private and one belonging to the Skoutaros Agricultural Co - operative.
  It has an infants' school, α primary school, and a rural doctor's surgery. The "Anaxos" Cultural and Sports Club plays α major part in the life of the village.
  The residents of Skoutaros have α keen amateur interest in traditional music and theatre.
  In the village square is the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin; a three aisled basilica of 1880 with α fine carved wooden sanctuary screen and a bell - tower of grey trachyte. Near the church we can see the renovated neo Classical building of the old Elementary School, also of trachyte and built in 1909. Today. A school of carpet weaving operates on the premises.
  The port of the village is Anaxos, on the road from Petra to Skoutaros, with a vast beach, picturesque tavernas, rooms to let, and hotels.
  West of Anaxos is Mikri Tsichranta (Ambelia), an idyllic beach with green valley behind it. Further to the west is Megali Tsichranta, with the Chapel of St. Panteleimon, where a fair is held on 27 July to which the villagers attach great importance.

This text is cited Mar 2003 from the Municipality of Petra URL below, which contains images.


Stavros Community-

STAVROS (Village) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22520 61591

Stypsi Community

STYPSI (Village) LESVOS
Tel: +30 22530 91209
  The town of Stypsi located on the northern site of the island of Lesvos, a mountainous village 400 meters above the sea level 10 km. from Petra, from the north is protected from the mountain of Lepetymnos.

Taxiarches Community

TAXIARCHES (Village) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22510 61419

Thanos Community

THANOS (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 24018
  It is said that the village was founded by someone called Thanos who descended from the village of Thana, which was in Arcadia. The ruined church of Aghios Constandinos is referred to as a Patriarchical possession in 1321. As one comes out of the village to the seaside he will see the laundry rooms of Faraga and Megalakkos.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Tsimandria Community

TSIMANDRIA (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 51344
  The village of Tsimandria is referred to as Simandria in 1569. According to tradition, the region once belonged to the Byzantine emperor Ioannis Tsimiskis. The phrase "at the mandres of Tsimiskis" became Tsimandria. Mandra in the local dialect means farmhouse. Ruins of Phtheris - the Byzantines called it Pterion or Pterin - exist in this region. It was a farmhouse belonging to the monastery of Taxiarchis Michael and later to that of Aghios Ioannis of Patmos. Thismandria was the first village in Limnos to be liberated in 1912.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).

Varos Community

VAROS (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
Tel: +30 22540 31235

Vassilika Community

VASSILIKA (Village) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22520 71094

Vatoussa Community

VATOUSSA (Village) LESVOS
Tel: +30 22530 51224

Vrissa Community

VRISSA (Small town) MYTILINI
Tel: +30 22520 61202

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures

Promotions

ΕΣΠΑ