AGIOS GEORGIOS (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23810 61127
Agios Georgios is the smallest village of the municipality of Alexander the Great with 321 residents according to the census of 1991. It is 20 km away from Giannitsa and 30 km from Edessa. The residents deal with the stockbreeding and agriculture. The most important cultivations are peaches and asparagus. The village has been built around its square, where there is the new two-storied building of the community bureau and the war memorial.
The square is surrounded by very tall pine trees and grass planted gardens. Agios Georgios is the first village in the municipality, where have been placed mail boxes in front of the community bureau. In the same building there is the community clinic while behind it there are the Primary school and the Kindergarden. Across the road there is the old and beautiful church of Saint Dimitrios. Both the church and the village have great history, which goes back in the beginning of the 19th century.
In the north-west part of the village, on the way to Liparo there is the Agricultural corporation and the football field of the team P.A.O.K. of Agios Georgios. The Cultural Association "Alexander the Great" is also activated in the village. There is great interest for the unexplored, up today, hills which are outside of the village. It is speculated that at their basis there are hidden tombs of the Hellenistic Era. There is also a lot of green and many trees in the area, as well as the local refreshment stand. Altogether, they create an artificial paradise, perfect place for resting and excursions.
AGRA (Lake) PELLA
At a short distance from Edessa, Lake Agra-Nisiou-Vritton is situated. The lake was artificially created during the 50s to cover the needs in water of a small hydroelectric power plant of the Public Electricity Board, but rapidly developed into an area with particular ecological interest, since it hosts and supports a great number of bird species. The wet meadows, the aquatic vegetation and the water create in the area of springs a unique natural scenery, while the agricultural landscape is dominated by apple and cherry cultivations, which gives rise to the organization of local festivities and fairs.
This text (extract) is cited October 2003 from the Pella Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.
AGROSYKIA (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23820 93349
Legend has it that the name of the village of Agrossikia originated from the wild fig trees that smothered the area.
The village's inhabitants are by and large of Pontos origin since the older inhabitants had pretty much moved from surrounding areas. The refugees arrived periodically since 1934 from the areas of Pontos, Sevastia, the town of Charsera in Argiroupolis and Farassa of Kessaria. The reason they decided to built their new home here is the similarity of the landscape with that of the land the left behind. They carried nothing but their memories and the icons of their Saints, some of which are still kept in the church of St. Ioannis Chrisostomos in the center of the village. The three cultural clubs connected with the inhabitant's origin of St. George Chalinaras, the Cultural Club and the Farassotes Club have undertaken the higher duty to preserve the rich cultural tradition of their ancestors.
Agrossikia is built in a picturesque landscape of unique natural beauty and is an excellent recreation area.
On the evergreen hill of Profitis Ilias, where a celebration is held every year with opulent events, the visitor can enjoy the uniquely beautiful landscape. The Dam lake pops up first in front of the highlands of Paikos mountain. The hill with the ruins of the ancient castle of Pelitis is witness to human presence in the area from ancient times.
ALOROS (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 92366
Aloros is one of the older villages of our municipality. It is built near an ancient settlement,next to the place that ruins of ancient fortress are found,a place called ancient Evropos, ast the historians say.
It is southern of Aridea, next to the road to Edessa and Thessalonica, it is built in the fringes of a hill with church of Saint George on the top, that is built by the refugees residents that came, in 1922, from the region of Nikopoli of Pontos.
From 1960 and afterwards the majority of residents immigrated in the centre and in big cities in Greece. Today has 550 residents and deal mainly with the agriculture. Fruiterer trees (peaches, pears, apples and other), vines, asparaguses are cultivated. The church of Saint Nikolaos, in the square of the village, celebrates on 6 December. In the village exists the church of Saint George above the hill, the chapel of Saint Hristoforos and the church of Saint Theodoros with a very old temple.
APSALOS (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 65201
Apsalos, with 1054 residents, is found in a distance of 11 kilometres from Aridea, in the road to the Edessa and Thessalonica.
Built in the entry of province of Almopia, it is the first municipal department that the visitor meet coming from Thessalonica and Edessa.
The history of Apsalos is lost in depths of centuries. According to the Claudius the Ptolemaist (geographer of 2nd century ) Apsalos is considered as one of the ancient cities of Almopia with Orma, Evropos (Aloros) Ancient Apsalos is related with the ancient settlement that is found in the road Apsalos - Polikarpi, next to the sources of waters.
The Christian residents of the village came in the period of 1922-34 after the mikrasiatiki(Asia Minor) destruction and the exchange of populations. They were inhabitants from Pontos, Thraces and Mjkrasja'tes. In 1945 also came some families vlaxoi.
The native of the Pont residents emigrated from the region of Hatzi' Osma'n of Nikomidia, Ak Tag Mate'n province of Ankara and Mpoylga'r Mate'n (mine of Bull) southern Turkey. Also exist a few families of Pont's inhabitants that came from the region of Trapezoyntas and Tohouz.
DOROTHEA (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 22643
Dorothea has today 650 residents. In a small distance from Dorothea is the settlement Virtuous, with 80 residents.
The residents are mainly farmers and cattle-breeders. They produce industrial tomato, leeks and peaches. Outside the village, in asmall distance, is the church of Saint Paraskevi. In Dorothea you can see old maintained and lived houses that have been manufactured 10 years ago.
DROSSERO (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23810 96167
Drossero is built in a distance of 1.5 Km from Gypsohori, at the foot of mountain Paiko. The population is 558 residents according to the census of 1991. Following the left entrance of the village, we see the building of the Agricultural co-operation of Drossero, the strongest co-operation of the municipality.
In a distance of 100m, in a big plot there is the two-storey local building, where there is the Kindergarten. In the past, the first floor was the guest room. The Kindergarten has one room with a lot of school equipment, capable to cover the needs of six children of the village and the kindergartener who takes care of them.
Walking along the road, on the left there is the church of Saint Constantinos and Saint Eleni. In the center of the village there are gathered all the cafes and the rest social services. In the two-storey building of the community bureau there is the veterinary clinic and the community clinic. In the same area there is the Primary School and the building of the Cultural Association of Drossero "Philippos". Opposite, there is the building where the Police Station was sheltered. On the right entrance of the village, in a 200m distance, there is the football field of the team "Megas Alexandros". In the land of the community of Drossero, a narrow stripe of forest is included. It covers 9.000 m² at the foot of Paiko mountain.
DYTIKO (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23820 93282
Archaeologists have revealed that the area of Ditiko has probably been inhabited since prehistoric times.
The first contemporary settlement was named Konikovo, meaning an area with a lot of horses. In 1922 this area was settled by Pontos refugees, who named the settlement Stiva, due to the many hayricks there. Later on, and as of 1955, the community was named Ditiko.
The majority of Ditiko residents are of Pontos origin and are stubborn in promoting their culture. The club "Ipsilante" operates within the framework of this notion and organizes the Ipsilantia Events every year. These events include traditional Pontos song and dance on the day of St. Constantine's celebration.
The Ditiko area, as indicated by historical sources, presents with significant activity in the Macedonian struggle era. This is the alias Nikoforos II, was heroically killed in a Turkish ambush.
The church of St. Constantine and St. Helen stands tall and reveals its internal interesting frescos and holy icons brought here by the ancestors of Abdouramaliin Pontos.
The Ditiko inhabitants are also very proud of the WRESTLING CLUB established in1987, which has displayed a very successful and upward course with significant distinctions. The 40 wrestlers enjoy high morale and confidence and look forward to the 2004 Olympic Games.
The landscape surrounding Ditiko is of exceptional beauty with rich sycamore tree vegetation that follows the route of a ravine, an area of recreation andenjoyment. Thechurch of St. Sofronios stands at the village's entrance giving visitors a warmand affectionate welcome.
EDESSA (Ancient city) PELLA
The ancient town of Edessa was built on a natural passage. There, the age-long road axis was renamed to VIA EGNATIA since the 2nd century B.C. The ancient town in the plain of Loggos was gradually abandoned and habitation occurred in the upper town in the mountainous Macedonia. This choice was made because of the waters which were a perfect defensive system and offered fortification.
The oldest finds are from the Neolithic times but the most are from the copper age and mainly from the iron age. In the 6th - 5th century B.C. ancient Edessa developed in two levels : the Upper town or Acropolis and the lower town on Loggos. Nowadays after the excavation parts of the ancient walls parts of buildings of the Acropolis can be seen as well as the old tombs of various types which are in the lower town. After 168 B.C. and the conquest by the Romans the town knows prosperity and has its own mintages made which show the participation of the town in the retention of the road axis Via Egnatia. A large number of inscriptions ensure the existence of parliament, a high school, as well as the temple of Dionysus Pseudanor also the temple dedicated to Goddess Ma, the mother of Gods, other monuments show the worship of Goddess Artemis and the Phrygian God Savazios.
During the second half of the 3rd century A.D. the town suffered of numerous raids by Goths. This led to a quick reparation of the ancient wall in order to make the town more secure.
The inhabitants used buildings material which they took from the neighboring tomb. Among these is also the anaglyph of ‘the Hog’ that reportedly passed together with his master the Via Egnatia from Dirachio to Edessa to take part in the great Macedonian feast of the Phallocrats ( dedicated to God Dionysus ) During Christian times was the wall strengthened with a new fortified line in a distance of 6 km next to the old one. In the end of the 6th beginning of the 7th century the inhabitants gradually abandon the lower town and inhabitation occurs in the Acropolis which develops into a Byzantine fortress.
The most important monuments of the area are:
The South gate: made with the early fortress art which is described in ancient handbooks.
The monumental marble-paved road which crossed the town, columns of marble and built pessaries can be seen at each side. One of the columns there are many inscriptions of independence.
The fortress of Edessa is one of the best preserved in Macedonia. It was constructed in 300 B.C. and repetedly repaired. The Acropolis was fortified by a wall, which now survives to a height of 6m. Parts of it can be seen through windows beneath apartment buildings.
This text is cited June 2003 from the Municipality of Edessa URL below, which contains images.
GALATADES (Small town) GIANNITSA
The village of Galatades is built two kilometers northern of Egnatia Street, on the road axis of Giannitsa - Krya Vrysi. It is the biggest village of the area and the headquarters of the Municipality of Alexander the Great. Its residents are farmers and it consists the center of the asparagus production in Greece. At the entrance of the village there is a square dedicated to Philipimin Gratsios, the man who brought the asparagus plantation in Galatades, in the early '70s and contributed to the village's progress.
Going through the main road of the village, we pass by the Cultural Association "Philippos" of Galatades. In the old Town Hall function the Open Protection Center for the Elderly (KAPI), the Community Clinic and the Municipal Developing Service (DEAMA). Next to it, is situeted the contemporary building of the Town Hall, headquarters and heart of the Municipality, where all the services of the Municipality are sheltered. Behind the Town Hall there are the Nursery School and the Kindergarten. Going on to the road of Krya Vrysi, we reach at a park of 50 Km², which has recently been reformed, with paving, plantations and playground for children. Across the road there is the building of the Primary School, in the same yard with the Church of Saint Athanasios.
On the right side of the road, there is the football court which is also used for cultural activities. Within a short distance are situated the installations of the Agricultural Association of Galatades, one of the most dynamic in the area. It has ice chambers and sorting out rooms, for trading the asparagus abroad and the peaches to the local manufacturing units. At the end of the village, on the right side there is the playfield of the football team "Olympiakos" of Galatades.
GAREFIO (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 75460
It is a mountainous settlement that is found in distance of 7 kilometres from Aridea, in the borders Greece and former Yugoslavia. The village took his name from the fighter of Macedonian Fight capten Kostas Garefis.
The residents deal with the agriculture, the livestock-farming and the forestal exploitations The Greek Macedonian captain Kostas Garefis was given birth in the village Apple trees of Pilion and fought for the release of Macedonia in the region of the lake of Giannitsa. It died in August 1906 in the village Tsernesovo, that was later renamed to his honour in Garefi.
GIANNITSA (Town) PELLA
Giannitsa, a modern city with an eminent role in the local economy, which constituted a great economic and military center ever since the fist years of the Turkish occupation, because of its strategic position. Situated near a region where the lake of Giannitsa dominated until the 30s, it experienced the rage of the battle of Giannitsa during the Balkan Wars. "The Black Statue" in the city's War Memorial is dedicated to the memory of the dozens of people who died during the battle. After the 30s, the sole water source that was left in the area is the Loudias River, which stretches across and supplies with water the fertile plain country that has been revealed by the drainage of the lake of Giannitsa, whereas in the same time it constitutes a place for sports and recreation, since a modern Rowing Center has been operating there during the last years.
This text (extract) is cited October 2003 from the Pella Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.
GYPSOCHORI (Settlement) PELLA
Gypsohori is a small village of 428 residents on the way Trifili-Drosero. Here, life passes so quietly, you think that time has no meaning. It is an old settlement and its modern history is closely connected with the nearby villages Trifili and Drosero. Until it became a member of the municipality of Alexander the Great, it constituted a community with Trifili, which is 2 Km far away.
In the center of the village there is the town square with its gardens full of flowers and the bus station. Around the town square there are gathered cafes and taverns. The road on the right side of the town square leads to the Kindergarten and the Primary School which is built with stones. At the courtyard of the school there is a playground. At a distance of 100m there is the facility of the agricultural association and the football field. Opposite, there is the building that the cultural association "Macedonia" is sheltered. At the southeast side of the village there are the old and the new church of Saint Athanassios.
This text is cited May 2005 from the Municipality of Megas Alexandros URL below, which contains image
KARIOTISSA (Small town) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23820 41333
The village of Kariotissa with population 2,087 residents (census 1991) was the greater village of the Pella Prefecture. However, the last few years the population reduces. It is situated in the northeastern edge of the municipality of Alexander the Great and it is 7 Km away from Giannitsa. The distance from Thessaloniki is 58Km and from Edessa 48Km. The Egnatia Via, the main road axis Thessaloniki-Edessa, goes through the village. On the southern side of Egnatia Via, in the center of the village, it is situated its square, with grass planted gardens and trees. Cafeterias, restaurants, cafes, taverns and every kind of shop are interspersed along the road, offering to the travelers an ideal place for resting and supply.
In the square rises the two-storey building of the community bureau, of which in the ground floor are sheltered the community clinic and TOEB-s offices. At its side, there is the building where the Police Station of Kariotissa was sheltered till a few years ago, and the building of the cultural association "Akrites". Across the way, there is the Post Office and in the end of the square, under the shadow of a plane-tree, there is the taxi station. At the entrance of the village we see the Pilot High School of Kariotissa, with a remarkable library, and a little farther the chapel of Agia Paraskevi. The road at the left leads to the Municipal Stadium of Kariotissa, playground of the football team AEK of Kariotissa. The church of the Assumption of the Virgin and the Primary School are situated a few meters southern of the main road. The well laid out streets of the village cause a sensation to visitors, who characteristically say "there everything is flat and the streets are vertical between them".
LIPARO (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23810 61228
Liparo is situated in a flat area among the villages Kalivia - Agios Georgios - Galatades - Aspro - Esovalta. It is 10m above sea level and according to the 1991 census, it has 550 residents. The distance from Giannitsa is 18 Km and from Edessa 25 Km. The village has a very important history and two churches of which, the one dates back to 606 A.D. In 29 of August the village celebrates the decapitation of John the Baptist organizing a festival and cultural demonstrations.
The main occupation of the residents is the cultivation of asparagus, peaches and vegetables in greenhouses. Some residents deal with the stockbreeding. Liparo has a good street plan, which was designed in 1935. Along the main floodlighted street with the traffic island, are gathered all the services of the village. In the building of the community bureau are gathered the services of the Agricultural Co-operation, the Agricultural Association and the community clinic.
Across the road there is the municipal refreshment stand. In a short distance there are the church of Apostle Paul, the Primary School and the Kindergarten. Near the village, on the way to Galatades, there is the building of the State Vehicle Checking (KTEO) which is the only one in Pella Prefecture. On the west side of the village, on the way to Aspro, is situated the playground of the football team Aris of Liparo.
LOUTRA ARIDEAS (Settlement) PELLA
The traditional village of Loutraki is situated in the north of the Prefecture of Pella and at a distance of 38 km from Edessa, and the Iamatica Loutra of Loutraki (thermal baths ) are situated three kilometers farther.
The value of the local thermal springs seems to have been greatly appreciated even since the Roman years, yet in the middle of the last century the first water analyses were made and the water's healing qualities were certified.
The thermal springs gush from the riverbed of Agios Nikolaos, with a temperature that rises up to 37° C. Their large supply (65 cubic meters/hour) creates the excellent conditions for the operation of the hydrotherapeutic places of the district, while the open pool and the "little lakes" that have been naturally developed in the bed of the hot water river, give the chance of bathing in an imaginary natural scenery.
During the last years, the number of younger visitors that come to enjoy short vacations in this picturesque district of Greece and make the best of the opportunities for relaxation and recreation offered in the district has been gradually rising.
Even during the winter, there are many people who attempt, after having ascended on the neighboring Voras Ski Resort, a visit to Loutra and a bath in the open pool, in the occult atmosphere created by the mist caused by the difference in water and air temperature.
Besides thermalism, there are many other reasons that make this picturesque spa town worth visiting. Here dominates the impressive "Ramno Bor" (Isso Pefko) gorge lending the scenery an attractively wild appearance and offering unique opportunities for an escape in the nature.
This text (extract) is cited October 2003 from the Pella Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.
LOUTRAKI (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 91213, 91170-3
Loutraki is a village with 1.280 residents. From 1992 toyrism started to be developed and today they are hundred hotels that can entertain the visitors. There are also a lot of modern hotels, restaurants, spaces of amusement and other shops for the service.
The Spa,13 kms from Aridea, the capital of Municipality, 20 kms from the ski center and 100 kms from Thessalonica. In the place of the Spa and in Loutraki, there are hotels and apartments. Also, there are a lot of shops for the service of visitors, restaurants, refreshment stands, traditional cafes.
The visitors combine spa' waters with a line from activities as the walks in the ecological paths and in the gorge of Baths, the mountaineering, the ascension, the exploration in the caverns of region of Baths and the visit in the ski center of Voras.
LYKOSTOMO (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 91320
The current name of the village emanated from a stream that goes down from the mountain, reaches as the village and resembles with the mouth of wolf. The settlement Stroumpino was named in Likostomo in 1926 and in 1929 was recognized as a community with 684 residents. Today it has 368 residents and the biggest birthrate in the region according to estimates.
Likostomo is an oasis of peacefulness, natural beauty and mental calm, a laboratory of creation for people of all ages. The climate of the village is marvelous. The mountain in the embrace of which is built Likostomo resembles with a painting. The "old Outpost" little outside from the village accepts visits all the time.
MEGAPLATANOS (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 94195
Fax: +30 23840 94500
Village of province of Almopia that are found near the villages Polikarpi and Orma.
In Megaplatanos belongs the settlement Monastiraki. Today many people of Megaplatanos live and work in Canada, Germany and Australia.
Cultural events are each year in the village on 20 September on the day of the feast of Saint Efstathios. A beautiful settlement is Monastiraki.
Many of its residents live today in other big cities and particularly in Athens. All however have their houses in the village, that they visit very often and particularly the summertime on 15 August when becomes the local festival with a lot of people. Characteristic of the village, is the best quality of fruits.
More and detailed information, as well as many photos, there are on www.megaplatanos.com , which isn't the community's official website, but is run by private initiative.
NEA PELA (Small town) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23820 31202
The town of N. Pella is inhabited by refugees who fled from Tsiflikidi in Eastern Thrace. Following a period of roaming around in surrounding areas in 1924, they settled near the ANCIENT BATHS, an area with lavish waters and vegetation, in order to start anew their life in a new settlement, which they named N.Pella.
Being farmers and stockmen, they survived by cultivating the land reverentially, and today they have quite a lot to show. In their baggage, they didn't just carry their memories but also a new cultural character, which they have managed to preserve and promote with the revival of customs and traditions, as they knew them in their far away homeland. The work performed by the CULTURAL CLUB is remarkable, aiming at accentuating and preserving cultural elements with the operation of various departments including a CHOIR, TRADITIONAL DANCE SCHOOL and THEATRE.
The great church of METAMORPHOSI TOU SOTIROS, built in Byzantine style in 1942,constitutes a real jewel that stands in the town's main street. The small tabernacle of St. Paraskevi was built in 1967 to keep the august icon, which was the only heirloom brought here by the inhabitants from their homeland. Every year the town of N. Pella celebrates the memory of St. Paraskevi with various interesting events.
ORMA (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 94125
Orma was a settlement of community of Megaplatanos up to 1929. In 1929 it was recognized as a community. With the inventory 1991 has a population of 712 residents.
Its history is lost in depths of time.Traditional cultures. In Orma they cultivate, onions, beans, peaches and cherries from best in Greece.
Today in the village there are hotels for the visitors . In Orma today the tradition remains live, not only through a lot of traditional events that are organized but also by the daily life of residents. You can see women dressed in the traditional uniforms in all the festive events.
PALEFYTO (Small town) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23820 41444
Palefito is situated one Km away from Egnatia Street, on its right side. It is a modern village with 1446 residents and powerful organizations. At the entrance of the village there is the fully equipped building of the Agricultural Co-operation, which was founded in 1966 and has 576 members. Apart from the supply of its members with fertilizers and the trade of their products, the Co-operation has undertaken the collection of deposits on behalf of the Agrarian Bank of Giannitsa.
In the town square of the village, are situated the buildings of the cultural association "Pyrsos" , the community bureau and the community clinic. Plenty of cafes and taverns are gathered at that place. Across the road there is the taxi station. Behind the square is the recently built church of Saint Nicolaos. On the left side of the main road, on the way to Trifili, there is the open theatre, which was built recently at the point where the old football field used to be. The new football playground of Aris of Palefito is built on the eastern side of the village, behind the Primary School. Next to them, there is the building of the Kindergarten and the Nursery School.
PELLA (Town) GIANNITSA
The PELLA Municipal department seems to be the extension of the Ancient city by the same name. Built northeast of the Archaeological site the city acts like a bridge between history and contemporary life style.
This town was formed as it stands today during WW II mainly through population movements. Refugees from EASTERN THRACE and EASTERN ROMYLIA arrived here and were worked in with the existing population, thus forming a multi-cultural population that developed in order to achieve co-habitation and development. At a later point in time certain Sarakatsani families also moved in the area thus adding new elements to the composition of the population.
As time went on, the old inhabitants accepted the habits and culture introduced by the newcomers, while newcomers adjusted to the new life style offered to them in the area. A significant part to that effect was played by cultural clubs such as the ANCIENT PELLA and EASTERN ROMYLIA clubs, which by way of various events and activities manage to preserve the traditional customs and cultural elements of the lost homelands, as well as those of the Pella area, with its long lived and much celebrated history.
The Pella VINEDRESSER CLUB continues to maintain tradition in an effort to reach the old fame of the renowned "Pella wine" in antiquity. The "PELLA THEATRICAL WORKSHOP" is dynamically present with significant shows of foreign and Greek writers.
The PELLA BLOOD DONOR CLUB constitutes a gesture of humanity and love to all those in need of our help.
The St. Apostles church has been renovated after a destructive fire in 1950. Every year the city of Pella honors the memory of the Saints with exceptional cultural events and activities.
In the square holding its name, ANCIENT KRINI represents a landmark of the past long gone.
Pella functions as a Municipality since 1984 and according to the recent stipulations of the Kapodistrias Law as of 1998, it has been extended to include the communities of N. PELLA, ATHIRA, RACHONA- LIVADITSA, AGROSIKIA and DITIKO.
PELLA (Ancient city) GIANNITSA
The ancient Macedonian Kings Palace is located in the middle among the three hills overlooking the ancient city, in the northern part, and covers an area of approximately 35,000 square meters. Built in an exquisite and dominant location, the palace is gifted with ideal locality, a wonderful view to the vast plain, the sea and surrounding mountains.
It was a perfectly organized complex in the capital of the Macedonian state, with courtyards and peristyles, luxurious men's quarters, archives, library and mint, warehouses and workshops, worship areas, arena, extended gardens and parks. The palace was impressively complex and magnificent since the king lived here along with the political and administrative mechanism. After the conquest of Macedonia by the Romans in 168 B.C. the palace was no longer the seat of royal power.
This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Municipality of Pella URL below, which contains images.
PIPERIES (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 23588
A plant gave its name to this village.
Place of pepper, the red pepper where the industries of the village produce "mpoukovo". The pepper became synonym of village. Today from the buildings of cottage industries and the two watermills that existed in the village have only remained ruins. The residents in their majority are farmers,deal with agriculture the viticulture.Grapes are produced in big quantities. Apart from the grapes asparagusesare produced in big quantities and vegetables.
The village is found on the road Aridea - Loutraki.
Two settlements belong today in the community of Piperia. Ano Rodonia with 100 residents and Mikroxori that has been abandoned.
In the villagethere are some cottage industries, as traditionally called "raki Distilleries".
POLYKARPI (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 31257
Polikarpi is one of the biggest villages of municipality and is found between the villages of Apsalos and Megaplatanos.
The residents of village insist they even live the delivery today. If you remain few hours and speak with them you will realism immediately that they remember their history and respect absolutely their delivery. To you they will speak for the Ponto, the lost homelands, to you they will speak for their works but also for their cultural events, the resurgence of their deliveries and will laugh with the customs of their carnival.
RACHONA (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23910 53390
Rachona and the small settlement of Livaditsa constitute a unified settlement. All of the areas inhabitants are natives and refugees from Asia Minor and Pontos. Rachonas' initial name was Ramel. Archaeologists have discovered evidence that proves the presence of man in this area from classic times.
The church of St. George, patron saint of Rachona, is dated back to 1803 and the saint's memory is celebrated every year.
Another characteristic of the Livaditsa settlement area is landscape turns with the harmonious pop up of small churches - landmarks in the region. The Holy Trinity church is a standing meeting place of refugees from Eastern Romylia, and people from all different places in Macedonia flock here every year on the day of the Holy Spirit to pay homage to and honor their ancestors. The old St. Athanassios church, built in 1805 that was once linked with the joyful events in people's lives stands quietly today.
The new St. Alexios church is the most easily approachable church accommodating the inhabitants in their prayers.
SARAKINI (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 94065
Sarakini - Korifi
Mountainous villages in westwards the municipality, in Eastern the North, in distance of hardly 18 kilometers from the ski center.
The dense vegetation, the colours and perfumes from the mountainous volume that surrounds the two villages, as well as unique quality rural products that produce (cherries, apples, potatoes) constitute the advantages of settlements and breath of life for the visitors. The cherries and the apples of Sarakini and Top are considered qualitative best in all Greece.
The Sarakinoi (altitude 570 m.) they are found above in the street that leads from the Aridea to the ski center, via Cherry tree. Today they have 350 residents that deal mainly with the agriculture and the livestock farming.
The Top (altitude 840 m.) it today has 126 residents. Small settlement with the characteristic colour of mountainous settlements.
TRIFYLLI (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23810 94209
At the 62nd km of the National road Thessaloniki-Edessa there is the crossing to Trifili. The village is located to the right in one kilometer's distance. The population rises to 543 residents. At the entrance of the village there is the stone-built Primary School, which was built in 1950 and founded by the King of Greece Pavlos. The previous school building was burnt during the civil war. Nowadays, the Primary School does not function in Trifili and the students study in the school of Palefyto. For the last two years, the Kindergarden has been sheltered in. Although it is one-seat school, it uses both classrooms of the building. Twelve children from the village study in it and the staff is consisted of one kindergartener.
On the left side of the main road, there is the two-storied building of the community with flower planted gardens and lots of trees. Here are the headquarters of the Cultural Association "Dimokritos", the K.A.P.I. and the community clinic. Within a short distance, there is a square with a fountain and many trees. Across the way, there is the exquisite church of distance, there is a square with a fountain and many trees. Across the way, there is the exquisite stone-built church of "Ypapanti of the Lord" dedicated to the day priest Simon welcomed and met Christ 40 days after His birth. At the end of the village, on the road to Gypsohori, there is the football field of the local team Iraklis of Trifili.
TSAKONES (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 23048
In them it trapped depend the settlements Golden and Down Rodonia, to which henceforth it has linked the village. Today in them it trapped they live permanently 1062 residents. The residents in their majority are farmers and cultivate peaches, apples, kiwis etc.
In the village it exists and it functions one from bigger rural cooperatives (Gekosa) that covers all the trade of fruits that is produced in the around region.
The old church of Saint Friday of Epivatini, that is found in Golden celebrates men on 26th July, the events of however residents to her price become on 14th October. This change became very old from then that because ceros, the residents did not have time for cultural events but also the square filled wheat from alonia that became this season.
VORINO (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 71370
Vorino, Neochori and Pefkoto are settlements that constituted a community. Today they are in the Municipality of Aridea with a local council. From Vorino, starts the road that leads to the tops of Vora. Here, in a big forestall extents, we will meet the pentaveloni pine tree and through the big forests you can go up to the top "Pinovo ".
Neochori and Pefkoto are small villages that are found near Vorino.
XIFIANI (Village) PELLA
Tel: +30 23840 92100
Xifiani is found on the 5th kilometer of national road Aridea - Thessaloniki.
The village - many people say - lives from the period of Byzantium. It was named Xifiani from the name of Byzantine General Nikiforos Xifias.
The oldest building in the village is the church of Ag. Dimitrios that was built in 1857 with special authorization of Turkish period.It was released in the 4-11-1912 with important attendance of residents in the Macedonian Fight.
Today Xifiani has 879 residents that mainly deal with the agriculture and the livestock farming. The old church of Saint Dimitrios, above in the homonym hill, with view to all the Almopia. A lot of world is assembled on 26 October, day of feast of Saint Dimitrios.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!