EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 17 sub titles with search on: Main pages for wider area of: "LIMNI Small town EVIA" .


Main pages (17)

Miscellaneous

AGIANNAKOS (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Agiannakos

  A small agricultural colony, in about 5 km southerly of Rovies. Its name is derived from the old church of Saint John (we find it in the 17th century). Traces of ancient activities are found in this area.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


CHRONIA (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Chronia

  Coastal colony of about 100 inhabitants, fishermen and farmers, situated just westerly of Limni, on the road Limni-Edipsos.
  This colony was formed by Minor Asian refuges, after 1922, who found refuge to the area of Limni.
  Chronia is a small - pleasant resort for anyone who wants to spend there his summer vacations, attracting a number of tourists during the summer period.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


DAMIA (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Damia

  It is a village on an altimeter of 300 meters and over, at about 6 km distance southerly of Rovies. The available signs from very old times (the Stone Age) for people lived in the area and the name itself of Damia leading to very old times, are information needing to be detected. The life in the village seems to be assimilated, during the old times, to the life of a wider area of Orovies and in post-byzantium times, to the life the dominating existence of the Convent of Holy David - the old man. The residents today deal with agricultural and veterinary works and the people according to the census in 1991 are 76.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


DRYMONA (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Drymona

  It is a mountainous village, situated at the northern "exit" of the Convent of Holy David, at an altimeter of 600 meters and over.
  Drymona, the existence of which has been placed in the 16th century and after, assimilated to the existence of the Convent of Old Man, is a nice fully of forests village with a road leading to a little northern site where the waterfalls of Sepia river, the most beautiful plateau the so called Microlivado (small meadow) of Dry Mountain, and the petrified forest of Kerassia (district of Nilea Community).
  The people living in Drymona are about 80, according to the recent census of 1991.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


KALAMOUDI (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Kalamoudi

  It is a mountainous village, situated at the "entrance" of the Convent of Holy David.
  Kalamoudi is surrounded by signs of life during very old times, nevertheless, in particular, in Byzantine and medieval times, we find it "fully vivid" in blossom.
  Since the 16th century its history has been identified the history of the Convent of Old Man.
  The people leaving in Kalamoudi are about 50, according to the recent census of 1991.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


KECHRIES (Village) CHALKIDA

Kechries Community

Tel: +30 22270 92400

  Kechries could be characterized as a junction connecting the eastern with the western coasts of Evia, establishing, thus, ideal conditions for anyone who wishes to spend his vacations there, combining the green forests of the village with the freedom of choice among the coasts of Aegean or Evoic Seas.
  Traditions and legends have combined the history of the small fountain, found in the situation where the medieval village, so called Ligdia, and the passing from there of the legendary knight, Erotocritos.
  The area, which during the times of Turkish occupation was a Kara-Ali's estate, was assigned, after the liberation, to the hands of the resolution fighter, Angelos Tombazis. Then, after a decision of the Greek Government in 1925 it was assigned to the landless farmers of the area.
  Similar but at the same time, parallel to the history of Kechries, is also the history of Daphne co-existing with the village of Kechries. It should be noticed that in old times Daphne was called "Mantanika" originated from the word "mantani" probably meaning the high production.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


KOULOUROS (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Koulouros

   Small agricultural and cattle-raising colony, situated near the road Rovies-Istiaia (through Voutas) and at a distance of about 12 km northerly of Rovies, in fully green pine-trees forests bringing in mind landscapes found in N. Europe. The geomorphology, the name, the surrounding toponymies, ruins of old colonies and other historical signs, give proof of a significant course of the village through the ages (specially in the middle ages).
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


Kourkouli Community

Tel: +30 22270 92066

  The village, so called Kourkouli, is a traditional mountainous colony. It is situated at the 3rd km over the axis of the central road of Chalkida-Limni and the foot of the mountain, so called "Dry Mountain", in beautiful fully green with pine trees areas, on inclined plane and altimeter of 400 meters.
  It is of panoramic views, when one looks at the horizon of Aegean Sea but also Evoic Bay.
  The village was built by the residents of the colony, so called Skoulari, which was situated at a distance of about 2 kilometers from the today's village to the area of Drymona. Its residents were forced to move because of brigands' and corsairs' invasions. The residents, first, gave the village the name "Neo Skoulari". The Turks, however, changed its name to "Kourkouli" meaning "pursued people". So, this name prevailed and has been kept even until today.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


LIMNI (Small town) EVIA

Limni Community

  Elymnion of the ancient people and Evoic Aeges. A coastal nice small town with traditional elements in a soft creek of northern Evoic Bay, being situated between Chalkida and Edipsos.
  Looking back to mythology we find it in the prehistoric times at the moment when Jupiter first joined Juno and during the historic times it became a place of the gods' worship.
  During the years of colonization it established its own colonies, such as Kleones (and perhaps Elymnio) in the Chalkidiki peninsula of Mount Athos.
  In Roman, Byzantin and Francovenetian times its navigation flourished again and it was attacked by various conquerors.
  In the mid of the 16th century, immigrants from Aegean Sea arrive in Elymnio, as in the same years, in a miraculous way, the ancient icon of The Blessed Virgin Mary the "Lymnian" also arrives here, which came to become the religious palladium of this place.
  With the coincidence of both these events Castral Elymnio moves down to the shore erecting there the today's town of Limni.
  During the years of National Regeneration, it plays the leading part, starting the Evoic Revolution.
In the years of liberation it forms a considerable commercial navy contributing to the whole case of the Greek Navigation.
  In the years of the 2nd World War Occupation it plays again a leading part, bringing forth famous figures of our Panhellenic National Resistance.
  Today, it is a touristically developed town with signs of insular traditional structure, with historical places and convents, rich folkloric tradition, multiple natural beauty and summer cool winds, uninterruptedly caressing the tiled roofs and...whistling its old tales...
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


MAROULI (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Marouli

   Small agricultural and cattle-raising colony, situated near the road Rovies-Istiaia (through Voutas) and at a distance of about 12 km northerly of Rovies, in fully green pine-trees forests bringing in mind landscapes found in N. Europe. The geomorphology, the name, the surrounding toponymies, ruins of old colonies and other historical signs, give proof of a significant course of the village through the ages (specially in the middle ages).
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


Monastery of St. David the Geron at Limni

Tel: +30 22270 71297, 71143

  At about 12 km southerly of Rovies and 21 km from the provincial capital of Limni Community, there is the historical Convent of Holy David, the so called "Old Man", built on the foot of Kavalaris Mountain (called in another way, Dry Mountain) and an altimeter of 500 meters. The Convent was built in half of the 16th century by Holy David himself, on the pre-existent ruins of the ancient church of Christ's Transfiguration.
  During the years of 1821 Revolution against the Turks, the Convent supported actively the fight and assisted the Leader Captain Angelis Rovios, as this results from the historic records kept in the Convent. This is the reason that it was destroyed by Turks in 1823.
  In 1877 it was reconstructed and so has continued its living till today, in the form of a men's convent. Many chapels are built round the Convent, with the Saint's cavernous hermitage located to the western point, "Agiokeri" to the southern point, in sites of highest beauty.
  In the underground chapel of the Convent's cells, in memory of Saints Anargyroi, there are wonderful wall paintings of the 17th century.
  Recently the figure of the deceased superior of the Convent enviable father Jacob, was assimilated to the Convent, the world and the devoutness, and the worshipers don't omit to pay a visit to his grave. The Convent, which was restored today, welcomes a number of faithful throughout the year.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


MYRTIAS (Village) CHALKIDA

Myrtias

  It is the "antechamber" of Limni. A village with about 300 inhabitants, a little southerly of the coming-in public road Chalkida - Limni, at Limni, a nice fully green area, at the southern of the overlooking mountain, so called Messopetrio. In this area, which had been inhabited since the ancient times, there are remains of ancient colonies and foundations of a classic period castle.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


PALEOCHORI (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Paleochori

  It is a village on an altimeter of 300 meters and over, at about 6 km distance southerly of Rovies. The available signs from very old times (the Stone Age) for people lived in the area and the name itself of Paleochori (old village) leading to very old times, are information needing to be detected. The life in the village seems to be assimilated, during the old times, to the life of a wider area of Orovies and in post-byzantium times, to the life the dominating existence of the Convent of Holy David - the old man. The residents today deal with agricultural and veterinary works and the people according to the census in 1991 are 54.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


RETSINOLAKOS (Settlement) CHALKIDA

Retsinolakos

  A colony of about 25 inhabitants, a little westerly of Limni, in a full of pine trees nice valley of Sepias river.
  It took its name exactly from the pine trees' resin, which was the main occupation of the people lived there.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


ROVIES (Village) CHALKIDA

Rovies Community

Tel: +30 22270 71040, 71208

  The ancient place, so called Orovies, mentioned by historians, the existence of which has been concluded by archaeological data, was a significant town of N. Evia, at one side of Evoic Bay, a little westerly of Exomnia (today's Limni) and Homeric Aeges. In the city it is situated the famous Oracle devoted to Apollo the Selinountio, which was thought to be the "most infallible".
  This town was partially destroyed during the earthquakes of 426 B.C. (information provided by Thucidides) and then expanded southerly of surrounding colonies, where the inhabitation has been dated in any period of time.
  In Middle Ages (Byzantin-Francovenetian years) this town had been significant, an historic evidence of that era being its Tower which was built in the times of Villarduines (13th A.B. century).
  Even in the years of Turks' occupation, because of its fertile and cultivable land, Rovies became the administrative center of our greatest area (Nahiyie), as this results from information of the 15th century.
  Early in 20th century the well-known Paleologos' family was assimilated to the life and history of this village.
Today, Rovies is a modern nice town of about 1500 inhabitants situated at the national road Limni-Edipsos (9km from Limni and 29 km from Edipsos Av.) has been well-known for its olive production and a significant number of tourists coming here during the summer months, factors making the town full of life.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


SKEPASTI (Village) CHALKIDA

Skepasti Community

Tel: +30 22270 92240

  It is situated at a distance of only 2 kilometers from Kechria cross, on the road axis to Limni of Evia. The main feature of this village, apart from its rich vegetation is the crystal-like running water, which has turned, on its running, some areas to idyllic ones.
  The village was previously situated at a place, so called Paleochori, which was destroyed by Turks. From that place, the village moved a little northerly of its today's situation and took its name because of the highly dense forest, which was there previously. The first house in Skepasti was built in 1770, while in 1880, the number of its houses was 13.
  Today, Skepasti is distinguished for its traditional households and its hospitable residents.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.