Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Main pages for wider area of: "GOUVES Village EVIA" .
GOUVES (Village) EVIA
Tel: +30 22260 41435
A traditional village built on two mountain slopes full of plane and pine trees. During the Turkish domination the region belonged to the Turkish bey Mohamed Ibrahim and his sister Haime Naile. In 1831 the Turks sold their land to the Greeks Vaptistis Drossos and Alexandros Desyllas. In 1882 the land of the community was transferred to its inhabitants. The only highschool in the Municipality of Artemissio is situated in the village.
A tower, where the Greek poet George Drossinis lived, rises above the village. The tower has been restored to accommodate a museum. On the beach of the village the fortress of Metaxas, which served as a defense post during the World War II, still remains. You can see the base of the cannons, the cook-house and the watch tower.
Τhis text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Artemissio tourist pamphlet.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!