EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 65 sub titles with search on: Main pages for wider area of: "ACHAIA Prefecture GREECE" .


Main pages (65)

Miscellaneous

Agios Konstantinos Community

Tel: +30 26910 71934

Agios Vassilios Community

Tel: +30 2610 992642

AKRATA (Small town) ACHAIA

Akrata Community

  The beautiful town of Akrata, built on the coastline and offering azure blue seawater views, wonderful beaches, and modern tourist services, will deeply affect those who desire to combine relaxation and adventure during their holidays.
  Akrata, as well as the picturesque beaches of the surrounding villages of Trapeza, Platanos, and Egira attract a large number of vacationers during the summer months.
  The remains of Ancient Egira, the famous ancient theatre, as well as traces of the ancient city of Aeges, which was destroyed around 281 B.C.
  The post-Byzantine Monastery of Agia Triada is built in the suburbs of Akrata, a lovely and hospitable place. About 20 kms. away from the town the visitor meets Seliana, where traces of ancient Felloi mentioned by Pausanias in "Ahaika" have been discovered. The post-Byzantine Monastery of Agioi Apostoloi and the State Game Sanctuary belong to Perithori, about 4 kms. southern of Seliana.
  Rahova, close to Perithori, is the place where the "Greek School", one of the first ones established in Greece after liberation from the Turks, operated from 1829 to 1837. This is the place where many historical personalities of the 1821 Revolution, as well as distinguished clergymen, such as the Patriarchs of Jerusalem Dositheos and Chrysanthos, were acclaimed.
  The mountainous areas southern of Akrata are of particular tourist interest, as they offer o delightful view over the Limni tou Tsivlou and the other scenic and historically important Kloukinokhoria (villages), such as Agridi, Messorouggi, Peristera, Solos, Zarouchla etc. These villages scattered in dense fir forests, keep the folk tradition vivid and alive.
  The Byzantine church of Panagia stands in Zarouchla, whereas on the slopes of Khelmos the visitor finds the popular Spring of Golfo taken from Sryros Perisiadis’ play under the same name. Peresiadis’ mansion still stands in Messorouggi where the church of Agios Georgios with the wooden hand carved temple is located. Argyriadis’ tower in Agia Varvara and the house of chieftain Theocharopoulos compose two of the most significant historical points of reference to the mountainous cluster of villages known as Kloukinohoria.
  After a three-hour walk past Solos village one reaches the mythically eternal Waters of the Styx, by which, in Greek mythology, the Gods of Olympus swore solemnly. Thetis is said to have bathed her son Achilles in the Waters of the Styx and thereafter he became invulnerable. The visitor can walk from Styx direct to Mega Spileo crossing through the wonderfully steep slopes of Khelmos.
This text (extract) is cited March 2004 from the Prefecture of Achaia tourist pamphlet (1999).


AKTEO (Village) PATRA

Akteo Community

Tel: +30 2610 992380

ALSOS (Village) EGIALIA

Alsos Community

Tel: +30 26910 94247

ALYKES (Village) PATRA


AMBELOS (Village) AKRATA

Ambelos Community

Tel: +30 26960 22571

Ano Diakopto Community

Tel: +30 26910 97249

ANO KASTRITSI (Village) RIO

Ano Kastritsi Community

Tel: +30 2610 936140

APIDEONAS (Village) PATRA

Apideonas Community

Tel: +30 26930 31831

ARAVONITSA (Village) PATRA

Aravonitsa Community

Tel: +30 26910 94575

AROANIA (Municipality) ACHAIA

Municipality of Aroania

Tel: +30 26920 51670, Fax: +30 26920 51684

DAFNI (Small town) KALAVRYTA

DAMAKINI (Village) PATRA

Damakini Community

Tel: +30 26910 31839

DIAKOPTO (Small town) EGIALIA

Dimitropoulo Community

Tel: +30 26910 72043

Doukaneika Community

Tel: +30 26910 94588

DREPANO (Village) RIO

Drepano Community

Tel: +30 2610 931940

EGHIO (Town) ACHAIA

Eghion Community

  Aegio is the second largest city of Achaia. It is built amphitheatrically on the western coast of the Bay of Corinth. It is a commercial and industrial place and it has been referred to as one of the most significant exporting ports of raisins and citrus ever since 1340 A.D.
  Aegio, the capital of the province of Aegialia, has known long periods of flourishing becoming the starting point of historical events of definitive importance. Going back to prehistoric times it is referred to as the capital of the Achaean Confederation. It is assumed that the Achaeans set off from there for their expedition to Troy.
  The famous church of Panagia Trypiti is located on the waterfront, whereas the Monastery of Taxiarckhes is very close to Aegio. Historical and artistic treasures of immense importance are kept in the Museum of the Monastery. Across the valley on the right bank of the River Selinous is built the Convent of Pepelenitsa, erected in the 15th century.
  Beautiful neoclassical buildings impress a distinguished view of the city on the visitor. Some of these are rare works of art constructed to the design of Ernst Ziller (the Holy Metropolis of Aegio, the Palaia Agora etc.). In Psila Alonia, the central square of Aegio, a tourist will not only enjoy a panoramic view over the azure blue water of the Bay of Corinth and the shoreline of Sterea Ellas across the other side, but one will experience the vigorous pace of a live city that does not forget its tradition. Ancient Helike was founded eastern of Aegio. It was an important religious and cultural centre in antiquity, sunk in the Bay of Corinth in 373 B.C.
  Fteri (set in an altitude of 1150 m. against the backdrop of the unique beauty of a popular fir forest), Loggos, Selianitika, Lambiri, and other coastal villages with exceptional beaches and cosmopolitan atmosphere, are all located within a short distance from Aegio.
  The famous cogwheel train starting from Diakopto, east of Aegio, terminates in Kalavryta following the spectacular canyon of the River Vouraikos.
  At this point continues E4, the European Trail of Long Distances, one of the most important walking courses in Europe, which can be covered any time throughout the year, thanks to the mild climate of the area.
This text (extract) is cited March 2004 from the Prefecture of Achaia tourist pamphlet (1999).


EGIRA (Ancient city) ACHAIA

History of Ancient Aegira

  Ancient Aigeira was one of the most important towns of Achaia and the Achaiko Confederation. It was located east of the present day community of Aigeira, on the hill "Paliokastro", has an altitude of 650m and the main settlement was fortified with strong walls.
  Ancient Aigeira, which existed before the period of Homer has been of concern to many writers who seemed to locate it between Sikionos and Aigiou. Polivios referring to the location of Aigeira writes, "the town of Aigeira is located between Aigio and Sikionos and is built in fortresses and impassable hills, and looks towards Parnasso".
  According to Alzinger, the first people settled there in 3 thousand B.C, namely in the early Greek period. Evidence of their existence, are the fragments of ceramics found in the excavations of the lower stratum. During the period of Homer it was known as Iperisi and this was, the name referred to by Homer on the list of ships that took part along with other Achaian towns in the Trojan expedition. The name Iperisi, and according to Pausania Ipirisia, was maintained in Ancient Aigeira for many centuries and according to the archeologist Otto Walter until the 23rd Olympiad in 688 B.C.
  As referred to by Pausania, Iperisia got its name Aigeira when it was, inhabited by the Iones and they were, invaded by the Sikionioi. So as the residents could defend themselves effectively and because there were few of them, they gathered all the goats (aiges) in the area and lit torches which had been placed in their horns and they let them loose against the Sikionion, who were so frightened that they left. Therefore, the Iperisies were, saved by the goats (aiges) and they changed the name of their town to Aigeira. There are those however who claim that Ancient Aigeira got its name from a type of Poplar-tree, the aigeirous, which was abundant in the area during ancient time. A third version as to the origin of the name of Ancient Aigeira is that referred to by Nikolaos Papandreadis in his book, "History and Folklore of Zaholis". He claims that it got its name from a nobleman from Patra, named Aigeiro, who took over and ruled it, therefore giving it his name.
  Ancient Aigeira lived great periods of prosperity and was at its peak. Due to the excellent location that it occupied on the east section of Aigialeias, north of Mount Evrostina, it was visible not only by the neighboring towns of Corinthos but also from across the sea, of Central Greece, towns of Aitolon. It therefore suffered from many hostile invasions, the most familiar being that of the Aitolon in 220 or 219 B.C and that of the Sikionion. As a result of their victory against the Sikionion, they built the holy sanctuary of Agroteras Artemidos, as they believed that the fabrication (with the goats already mentioned) against the invaders was inspired by Artemis.
  In Ancient Aigeira, according to descriptions of Pausania, there was a statue of Zeus made of marble from Pendeli, a statue of Athina, temple of Artemidos, with ancient statues of Agamemnona and Ifigeneias, statues of "Asklipiou" of Serapidos and Isidos and a holy sanctuary dedicated to Apollon.
Coins of Ancient Aigeira
  From the catalogue of coins of the monetary collection of Copenhagen, it appears that approximately in the year 330 B.C, Aigeira cut copper coins with Athina on the front side and on the other side, the front end of a goat inside an olive wreath. They also cut coins with the head of a woman wearing a veil, which on the front side there is the inscription ?Aigiaraton? and on the back, a goat with a wreath. Also, in the years 193-221 A.D with the head and shoulders of Plautillas, wife of the Roman emperor Karakala.
Olympic champions of Aigeira
  Ancient Aigeira was distinguished for its many significant Olympic champions. The most familiar of these were Kratinos the Aigeiratis and Ikaros. Kratinos was a very significant wrestler and won the Olympic children?s wrestling contest. Ikaros won the race of 1 stadium in the 23rd Olympiad.
The decline of Ancient Aigeira
  The town of Aigeira must have been at its peak until the 4th century A.D. We reach this conclusion from a decree by the Roman emperor Dioklitianou, who determined the prices of different provisions which are bought by the Roman soldiers so as to avoid exploitation by the merchants of that period. The decree was written on marble plaques that were found in the excavations of Ancient Aigeira and,believed to have been written in 303 A.D. It is claimed that it was destroyed by a strong tidal wave, although it is considered more likely to have been destroyed by a powerful earthquake.
The findings of the excavations in the area os Ancient Aigeira
  The first excavations in the area of Ancient Aigeira began in 1916 by the Austrian Archeological Institute, which still continues its excavations.
  The archeological findings of the investigations of the excavations to this day cover a period of time from 3000 B.C, to the Imperial years of Rome and almost to the 4th century A.D. From the first days, the investigation which, was carried out by Otto Walter was crowned with amazing success. On the 31st of August 1916, the head of the marble statue of Zeus was found. According to Pausania the statue was the work of the famous creator Evklidi from Athens, and the height exceeded three metres. In subsequent investigations the left arm and one finger of the right hand of the same statue were found.
  O. Walter's second stirring discovery was that of the "Pillar" of the theatre of Ancient Aigeira. According to Wilhem Alzinger who continued the investigation from 1972 onwards, the theatre was constructed during the 5th towards the 4th century B.C.
  The front part of the stage of the theatre was decorated with semi-pillars. Still preserved is the orchestral drain and the north wall of the stage with a central door which during the Roman years was transformed into venetian style. The greater part of this evidence of the theatre was destroyed during the 2nd century A.D, when the stage was transformed. With this transformation a three-storey stage was created, where its architectural decor shows little evidence of relics.
  The facade was divided into three storeys with a protective roof. The lower was of Doric style, the middle was Ionic and the upper was Corinthian. The building of the three-storey stage is dated back to the years of Andrianou, 117-138 A.D.
  At the location of the excavations there has also been found a part of the wall of the town, a kiln for pots and pot fragments from 3000 B.C, marble plaques on which is written the decree of the Roman emperor Dioklitianou, many inscriptions and names. At the excavations of 1972, on the north side of the theatre a part of the temple of Zeus was discovered as is believed by Alzinger. The floor is covered with splendid mosaic and river pebbles, and is decorated with different pictures such as vultures, beetles and an eagle attacking a snake and two vases.
  From 1989 to this day, the excavations and investigation are carried out by Antonio Faber, architect and professor at the University of Vienna, professor O. Mous and the students of the university.

This text is cited June 2004 from the Municipality of Aigeira URL below, which contains images


ELEONAS (Village) EGIALIA

Eleonas Community

Tel: +30 26910 41181

ELIKI (Village) DIAKOPTO

Eliki Community

Tel: +30 26910 81114

GREKAS (Village) EGIALIA

Greka Community

Tel: +30 26910 95300

GRIGORIS (Village) EGIALIA

KALAVRYTA (Small town) ACHAIA

Kalavryta Community

  Kalavryta, the capital of the province of Kalavryta, is a town that actually belongs to all Greeks, despite the fact that geographically it belongs to Achaia. It is the city-symbol of freedom.
  The Greek Revolution against Turkish domination started in Kalavryta in 1821. The Banner of the 1821 Revolution is kept at the historical Monastery of Agia Lavra. The Holy Monastery of Mega Spileo, the most amazing shrine of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Peloponnesus, lies not far from Kalavryta. The Monastery, built 924 m. above the sea level in 326 A.D. has been destroyed four times. Nonetheless, the Holy Icon of Theotokos, which according to the tradition is ascribed to Luke the Evangelist, has always been saved.
  During World War II Kalavryta became a target of the German occupation forces. In 1943 all the male population of the town was executed by the Germans who in turn burnt all the houses and churches. A huge cross stands as a memorial of the massacre of Kalavryta on a hill above the tormented town.
  In our days Kalavryta is a picturesque town that serves as a starting point in touring the surrounding areas. The cogwheel train coming from Diakopto terminates at this point.
  At Kalavryta Ski Centre winter sports fan are offered one of the best ski runs in Greece, whereas the wonderful Spileo ton Limnon, a rare work of nature, is only situated 17 kms away from the town. This is the only cave in the world where ponds are layered on three separate levels.
  The visitor of the Kalavryta Metropolitan area is given the opportunity to admire historical and archeological sites as Ancient Loussi, Pausania’s vine-branch, the ancient town of Klitoras, the Castle of Oria, the Chelonospilia, as well as places of extraordinary natural beauty as the springs of the rivers Ladonas and Aroanios.
  All around Kalavryta, scattered on the slopes of Chelmos and Erymanthos, there are 75 villages, most of them built in forests of pine and plane trees.
  Dafni and Klitoria are two of the most picturesque small towns of Achaia with cultural and commercial activities but even natural beauties.
  The whole province of Kalavryta - from Tripotama to Livardzi and up to the town of Kalavryta - with its abruptly changing landscape, its idyllic spots, the characteristic architectural style, and the developing tourist structure constitutes an area that will attract even the most demanding of the visitors.
This text (extract) is cited March 2004 from the Prefecture of Achaia tourist pamphlet (1999).


KALAVRYTA (Ski centre) ACHAIA

Kalavrita ski resort is situated on the North West side of mountain Helmos at an altitude of 1,700 meters (base) to 2,340 meters (summit).

It has been operating since 1988 and consists of:

  • 7 lifts,
  • 12 ski runs,
  • spacious free parking,
  • cafeteria,
  • restaurant,
  • ski rental shop,
  • ski school and
  • First Aid Station.

It is located 14 kilometers from Kalavrita and only 203 Kilometers from Athens.
The ski centre is open daily throughout the ski season (December to April) from 09:00 to 16:00.

This text has been cited in February 2005 from the following webpage of Kalavryta Ski Centre.


KATO ACHAIA (Small town) PATRA

Kato Achaia Community

  Western Achaia is one of the most beautiful parts of the Greek land. The visitor will be stunned by the sudden scenery changes, the exquisite sandy beaches, as well as the popular resorts on the slopes of Erymanthos and Panahaikos.
  Kato Achaia is the most important commercial and intellectual centre of the area. According to historians, in antiquity this must have been the territory of the city of Dyme, a member of the Achaean Confederation. Its residents had participated in all national contests and they had developed a remarkable civilization while keeping the name of Achaia, which, according to Homer, was the first name of Greece.
  Araxos airport, which is the only place in Achaia where an airplane can land on is not far from Kato Achaia. Metohi with a wonderful Museum of Natural History is also nearby.
  The golden beach of Kalogria, an endless sandy beach with sky blue water and an exotic atmosphere, together with the pine forest of Strofylia, composes and idyllic landscape famous all round Europe.
  Pappas pond and the wetland of Prokopou consist a rare ecosystem of unique beauty and great scientific interest. It is here where Teichos Dymaeon, as well as many archaeological ruins, lie.
  Along the coastal strip starting southwest of Patras and extending down to the western border of the Prefecture we meet on the waterfront many scenic villages with significant tourist services. Such villages are Vrahnaika, Kato Alissos, Niforeika, Lakopetra, Alikes, a fishermen’s village and a Commune of the Municipality of Kato Achaia is not far form there either.
  In the interior of Western Achaia, in the area of Chalandritsa, the excavations of 1928 brought into light burial grounds of the Mycenaean era. Similar remains were discovered in the Community of Portes in 1995.
  Katarrachtis, Demesticha, and Leontio (where the ruins of an ancient city and a theatre of the 4th B.C. century are exposed) are three of the most picturesque villages in the area, and so is Michas, which is set 1,100 m. above sea level. The whole are is situated right on the site of ancient Tritaea, offers very good tourist services, as well as an amazing view. The surrounding area of Fares is equally remarkable for its traditional communes and the obvious traces back to the time of Frankish rule. In Skiada the ancient Tower of a Byzantine general, Doxapatri, has escaped destruction, whereas further south lie the scanty ruins of the castle of Paleologos. Sandameri is the favourite area of parachutists who organize games of perpendicular and vertical free-falling.
  Last but not least, the monasterial cluster of Movri foothills (Agios Nikolaos Spata, Batha, Maritsa, and Filokali), which attract a large number of visitors, also belong to Western Achaia.
This text (extract) is cited March 2004 from the Prefecture of Achaia tourist pamphlet (1999).


KERTEZI (Village) KALAVRYTA

KERYNIA (Village) DIAKOPTO

Kerynia Community

Tel: +30 26910 81848

KRINI (Village) EGIALIA

Krini Community

Tel: +30 26910 95383

Kryoneri Community

Tel: +30 26920 41450

LAKKA (Village) SYMBOLITIA

LONGOS (Village) EGIALIA

Longos Community

Tel: +30 26910 72291

MAGIRAS (Village) EGIALIA

Mamoussia Community

Tel: +30 26910 81052

Monastery of St. Eleoussa

Tel: +30 2610 998343

Monastery of St. Marina Maritsis

Tel: +30 26930 91374

Monastery of Agii Theodori

Tel: +30 26920 33244

Monastery of the Virgin Notenon

Tel: +30 26940 91381

Monastery of Megalo Spileon

Tel: +30 26920 22401, 23130, Fax: +30 26920 23035

Myrovryssi Community

Tel: +30 26910 94167

Nerantzies Community

Tel: +30 26910 72939

Nikoleika Community

Tel: +30 26910 82255

PATRA (Town) ACHAIA

Patra Community

  Patras, the very ancient city of the mythical Patreus, is the third largest city in Greece and the capital of the Prefecture of Achaia. It is a significant commercial and converging point. Its port constitutes the western gateway to Greece. Millions of visitors stop by and admire the exceptional street plan and architectural style of the city.
  The rich historical and cultural heritage of Patras, its significant religious and archaeological monuments, the pace of a modern, live city that offers many possibilities for entertainment set the city apart as an attraction pole of thousands of visitors. In the course of Greek History, from prehistoric times to our days, Patras has always played a pivotal role in the development and moulding of historical conditions. Every corner of the city is its own historical reference point.
  The culmination of all the cultural events of the city, as well as the major winter show of the country is the Carnival of Patras. It is an endless feast lasting two months during which time the colours, gaiety, imagination, and high-spiritedness carry away every single inhabitant of the city as they all join in happiness and sorrow.
  The International Festival attracts thousands of visitors every summer. The biggest names in the Arts and Cultural life of the place honour the deeply rooted cultural tradition of all the inhabitants of Patras.
  The Municipal District Theatre of the city - one of the largest and most active groups in Greece - feature outstanding performances of the classics every season.
  Sporting events are highly favoured in the city, which as two sizable football grounds and three indoor Gymnasiums. Popular athletic events are held in the National Stadium of Patras, whereas basketball, volleyball, and gymnastics contests of European and International interest are organized and held in the Palais De Sport. Moreover, there are three modern conference centres with space available for the organization of commercial and trade exhibits.
  Places worth visiting are the following: the Holy Church of Agios Andreas; the Castle of Patra; the Archaeological Museum; the Municipal Theatre ‘Apollo’ (designed by Ernst Ziller); the Holy Church of Pantokrator (a Byzantine church); the Roman Odeon (the most beautiful Roman edifice in the area); the Castle of Rio built in 1499; the Yirokomio Monastery; the Monastery of Omblou; ACHAIA CLAUSS (where a visitor can be toured around the premises of the wine making plant and have a taste of Mavrodaphni aroma); the Catholic Church of Agios Andreas, and the Municipal Gallery.
This text (extract) is cited March 2004 from the Prefecture of Achaia tourist pamphlet (1999).


PLATANOS (Village) EGIALIA

Platanos Community

Tel: +30 26960 61348

PSATHOPYRGOS (Village) RIO

Psathopyrgos Community

Tel: +30 2610 931541

Rizomylos Community

Tel: +30 26910 81328

RODIA (Village) EGIALIA

Rodia Community

Tel: +30 26910 81134

RODODAFNI (Small town) EGIALIA

SALMENIKO (Village) PATRA

Salmeniko Community

Tel: +30 26910 31014

SELA (Village) RIO

Sela Community

Tel: +30 2610 998500

Selianitika Community

Tel: +30 26910 74273

TOUBA (Village) EGIALIA

Touba Community

Tel: +30 26910 94453

TRAPEZA (Village) DIAKOPTO

Trapeza Community

Tel: +30 26910 41676

TSIVLOS (Settlement) EGIALIA

VERINO (Village) EGIALIA

Zachloritika Community

Tel: +30 26910 41646

ZIRIA (Village) PATRA

Ziria Community

Tel: +30 26910 31051

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.