This museum is housed in the "Hospital of the Knights". The building
was begun on the insistence of Grand Magistrate Antoine Fluvian (1421-1437) three
years following his death (ca. 1460) to be completed in 1489, when Grand Magistrate
was Pierre d' Aubusson (1476-1505). The museum houses funeral finds (vases, statuettes,
jewellery and metal artifacts) from ancient Ialyssos
and ancient Kamiros (Geometric
period), while others date from the archaic and classical periods, as for example
the collection of sculpture, inlaid floor sections and stellae on the graves of
Some of the most significant exhibits include:
Two headless Kouroi (statues of young men) from the archaic period (550-530 B.C.)
Grave stellae of Krito and Timarista (420-410 B.C.)
Grave stele of Kalliarista (ca. 350 B.C.)
Marble statue of nude, squatting Aphrodite (ca. 100 A.D.)
Kylix of Vroulian style Rhodian workshop. (6th c. B.C.)
This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs URL below.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!