EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed  11  sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites
for wider area of: "EVROS , Prefecture , GREECE " .
Archaeological sites (11)
   Ancient acropoles (2)
   Ancient sanctuaries (2)
   Ancient settlements (2)
   Ancient tombs (2)
   Neolithic settlements (1)
   Perseus Site Catalog (1)
   Workshops (1)

Archaeological sites (11)

 Ancient acropoles

KILA (Settlement) ALEXANDROUPOLI

To the north of Feres (at the abandoned village Koila) a castled position from the post- bronze ages and the early iron ages were discovered.
Development Company of Alexandroupolis WebPage
http://www.aneta.gr/cfdocs/uk/evros_5diadromi_uk.h... English Greek

NIPSA (Village) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Megalithic prehistoric monuments
At the surroundings of the community of Nipsa, which is located 20-km northeast of Alexandroupoli, recently a number of prehistoric megalithic monuments from the early Iron Age were discovered.
This area is part of a Thracian tribe named Kekones this tribe was known even to Homer and Herodutus.
Not far away to the northwest of the village an Acropolis (citadel) was found with ceramics from the 9th- 8th century BC this Acropolis was controlling the paths of Rodopis in-land. A carved tomb was also found at the northwestern part of the yard. At the position, which is to the west of Nipsa and is called 'Dremos' carved solar symbols, three level altar, a holly sacrificial rock and many carved cavities that present stellar formations were found.
Around of the villages’ area to the northwest, you can see geometric and anthropomorphic designs carved on rocks. All the megalithic monuments are to found in the wooded area around the village and according to the opinion of the scientist the place used to by a 'holly forest'. According to Homer the oracle of the Kekones, Maronas lived in this forest.

This text is cited Mar 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains images.

http://www.aneta.gr/cfdocs/uk/evros_4diadromi_uk.h...
 Ancient sanctuaries

ESSYMI (Village) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Thracian sanctuary
Between Avandas and the next village that is called Eseme another hill is rising, in this area the hill is named Monastere or after the Turkish Chepel- Kagia. On the hills’ very difficult to reach top a Thracian sanctuary was discovered, the life span of it is starting from the prehistoric ages till the Hellenistic and Byzantine ages. In the yard of this sanctuary you can find chiseled constructions, like a temple, sinks, stairs, solar discs etc.

This extract is cited Mar 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below.

XIROPOTAMOS (Village) SAMOTHRAKI

Sanctuary of Artemis
 Ancient settlements

AMORI (Village) DIDYMOTICHO

In the location called "tou barba e vryssi" (= "the old man 's fountain") and situated 1 km to the north of the village Amorion, there are remains of an ancient settlement dating to the roman and byzantine period. Also, in the around area a statue of the goddess Artemis was found, which is now exhibited in the museum of Kavala.

KAVISSOS (Ancient city) ALEXANDROUPOLI

A Thracian settlement
In a settlement 2-km outside of Feres called Kavisos, on a hill known in the area as Makrelofos a Thracian settlement from the early iron ages and just under the hill a post-roman settlement were discovered.
Development Company of Alexandroupolis web page
http://www.aneta.gr/cfdocs/uk/evros_5diadromi_uk.h... English Greek
 Ancient tombs

ELAFOCHORI (Village) DIDYMOTICHO

Macedonian Tomb at Elaphochorion
The tomb was built of stone ashlar blocks, at the end of the 4th or the beginning of the 3rd century B.C. It has a dromos, an antechamber and chamber, the latter two having floors lined with stone slabs. A cist-shaped funerary couch is preserved inside the burial chamber and a cist-grave has been found under the floor.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below.

Hellenic Ministry of Culture WebPage
http://www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21119n/e211sn05.htm... English Greek

ROUSSA (Village) DIDYMOTICHO

Megalithic tomb at Roussa
Megalithic dolmen built of five large stone slabs. The typical opening of such dolmens is preserved on one of the narrow sides.
These tombs usually contained the remains of cremations or large vases with the ash of the dead, along with the grave offerings.The monument is dated to the 9th century B.C.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.

Hellenic Ministry of Culture WebPage
http://www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21119n/e211sn01.htm... (1 img.) English Greek
 Neolithic settlements

MAKRI (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Archaeological Site of Makre
Tel: +30 25510 71219
  The first habitation of the site dates from the Neolithic period (5000 B.C.) and is attested in the area of the cave. The accumulated debris of the successive clay buildings of the prehistoric periods, gradually created a low mound (Toumba). In ca. 1000 B.C. a small settlement was established on the site by the Thracians and later, Greek colonists of the 7th century B.C. founded a small trading post of which the refuse pits are preserved, full of amphoras. In the Roman period, a strong retaining wall was constructed and during the Byzantine era, the site was used as a cemetery.
  The site was discovered during the First World War. George Bakalakis was the first archaeologist to visit the place and he identified it as the ancient city of Zone and cape Serreion. Excavations on the site were first carried out in 1988 by the 19th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities and are still in progress. The Neolithic settlement which has come to light is one of the most important in the Balkans. The excavation results also prooved that the ancient settlement was simply a trading post and not the city of Zone, while cape Serreion can now be securely placed at the end of Ismaros.

  The most important monuments on the site are:
• Neolithic settlement.
  It consisted of post-hole structures of which the floors, pise walls, ovens, hearths etc. are preserved.
• Trading post of the Classical and Roman periods.
  Two pits, the fortification wall and houses are preserved.
• The "Cyclops cave".
  Small cave with two chambers.
• Rock-cut structures.
  Still visible today are stairways, niches, cisterns and an observation post.
 Perseus Site Catalog

SAMOTHRAKI (Ancient city) EVROS

Samothrace
Region: Sporades
Periods: Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman
Type: Sanctuary
Summary: Major sanctuary in the North Aegean region, located on the island of Samothrace.

Physical Description:
   
The Sanctuary of the Great Gods is located half a kilometer inland from the N coast of Samothrace and just W of the city that the Greek colonists fortified in the Archaic period. The sanctuary occupied a ridge between two streams in the Archaic and Classical periods and expanded W to an adjacent ridge by the end of the Hellenistic period. Structures on the E ridge centered around the original pre-Greek cult features and included: the Arsinoeion (the largest rotunda of ancient Greece), that sheltered the earliest rock altar of the sanctuary; the Anaktoron which served as a hall for the first initiation into the Mysteries; the Hieron where the higher initiation ceremonies were performed; the Hall of Votive Gifts, and the Altar Court. Later structures to the W included a large stoa, the theater, and the Nike Fountainhouse.
Description:
   
When the Aeolian Greeks colonized the island of Samothrace at ca. 700 B.C., they adopted and Hellenized the existing cults and the religious center W of their new city. The original rock altar of the Mother Goddess and other features and elements of the fertility and mystery cults were encorporated into the enlarged sanctuary and the Thracian language continued to be used in religious rituals up to the 1st century B.C. In the 6th century B.C. the political power of Samothrace reached its peak, but it was in the 5th century, when the island was subject to the Delian League, that the Sanctuary of the Great Gods began to grow in international repute. During the Hellenistic and Roman periods the sanctuary grew to its largest extent and became the chief religious site in the N Aegean region. The fame of the cult of the Mysteries at Samothrace was surpassed only by that at Eleusis. In the 3rd century B.C. the first marble structures were added to the site and during the 3rd and 2nd centuries B.C. the Arsinoeion rotunda, the Ptolemaion Gateway, and the theater were constructed as the area of the sanctuary was extended to the W. In 84 B.C. the sanctuary was plundered by pirates, but it was restored with Roman aid. The cults continued to function, but after an earthquake in A.D. 200 the sanctuary began to decline. Cult activity was halted in the late 4th century A.D. and the final destruction occurred with an earthquake in the 6th century A.D.
Exploration:
   
G. Deville and E. Coquart excavated in 1866. Excavations by the Austrians Conze and Hauser in 1873 and Niemann and Benndorf in 1875. The French School excavated under Salac and Chapouthier in 1923-1927. Since 1938 (with a break during the war years) excavations have been conducted by New York University, directed by K. Lehmann until his death in 1960 and since then by P. Lehmann and James McCredie.

Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 16 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Per... English
 Workshops
Archaeological Site of Keramidaria
Tel: +30 25510 41474Fax: +30 25510 41474

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.