on Lemnos was one of the most important Aegean settlements during the 3rd millenium
B.C. It represents a culture that developed in the 3rd millenium B.C. on the islands
of the northeast Aegean; the easternmost site where its remains have been found
, on the coast opposite
The site of Poliochni was continuously inhabited all through the 3rd
millenium B.C. as is attested by the successive architectural phases. The settlement
of the Yellow phase was destroyed by natural causes, perhaps by an earthquake,
at the end of the 3rd millenium B.C. It was subsequently abandoned for quite a
long period, and only sporadically reoccupied in the 2nd millenium B.C.
The prehistoric settlement of Poliochni was discovered in the summer
of 1930, during the archaeological investigation of the site carried out by the
Italian Archaeological School of Athens. Two excavation campaigns were conducted
by the Italians, the first lasting from 1930 until 1936 and the second, after
the World War II, from 1951 to 1956. Excavations were resumed in 1986, along with
clearing, consolidation and restoration work and were completed in 1995.
of the settlement were restored in 1994. Work included the consolidation
of the masonry and foundations, with the rebuilding of walls where necessary,
repairs of joints, cement injections and covering with plaster.
The prehistoric settlement, dated to the Early Bronze Age, was founded
at the turn of the 4th to the 3rd millenium B.C. on a hill in the Vroskopos bay,
on the east coast of the island. The successive architectural and cultural phases
distinguished by the excavators have been characterized each with a different
In the earliest phase, the settlement occupied a very limited area.
The preserved architectural remains belong mostly to spacious, oval huts.
gradually developed into a proper town protected on the landward and seaward sides
by an imposing fortification wall built in dry-stone masonry. A few public buildings
were also erected for the first time, including the so-called "bouleuterion" (used
for the assembly of the inhabitants) and the communal
Green and Red periods:
The settlement extended towards the west and a new section was added
to the existing defensive
, which was reinforced with circular bulwarks in the Red period. The private
houses now consisted of clusters of rooms.
of the period have been uncovered on the top of the hill. The town was crossed
by two paved streets. In the central, megaron-shaped building, spacious storage
rooms were found.
Brown and Violet periods:
The architectural remains of the settlement are very sparse and do
not supply evidence for its layout but it is certain that the area it covered
was again restricted.