Corfu International Airport has the name of the first governor in the Modern History of Greece, Ioannis Kapodistrias, who was born in the island.
The history of Corfu airport begins with the landing of an aircraft Heston Phoenix (register SXAAH) on March 22, 1937, commanded by Efstratios Xydis. During the Second World War was used by German and Italian Axis Powers, as a basis for transport and military aircrafts.
The first civil flight was on April 19, 1949 by the company AME with an aircraft Avro Anson, which has as starting point Athens and carried seven passengers.
A small building, the first passenger terminal, was built in 1962. In April 1965 the airport became International and the first flight under Air Traffic Control was made by O.A. company on a jet type Comet. In 1972, the construction of a new passenger terminal was finished.
The runway (17-35) has a length of 2375 m and 45 m width. The airport is just 3 km away from the Corfu town.
According to a statement issued by Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority on 04/12/2010 the operation hours of Corfu International Airport from 03/28/2010 to 10/30/2010 are 00:01-24:00, 7 days a week.