Argolida County is administratively divided into three parts:
a) Argos District,
which is situated in the northwest and possesses the most mountainous regions
as well as the largest part of the Argolic
plain. The full extent of the district is 1062 sp. km and its capital is Argos
according to the 1991 census, the population of Argos
is 22,289, while the overall population of Argos district is 45,342, 42.69 inhabitants
per sp km.
b) Nauplia District.
Its full extent is 731 sp. km and the overall population is 38,929, 53,25 inhabitants
per sq. km. The city of Nauplia
is the capital of Argolida County and its population is 11,897.
c) Ermionida District,
which possesses the southern part of the peninsula. The full extent of Ermionida
District is 421 sp. km and the overall population is 13,365, 31.75 inhabitants
per sp. km. The district’s capital is Kranidi
with 4,400 inhabitants.
During the modern ages, the administrative division of Argolida suffered
continual territorial changes. From 1833 t 1899, Argolida had been part of the
Argolidocorinthia County (with the islands of Spetses,
Hydra and Kithira
intermittently). On 1899 Argolidocorinthia county splits into two counties, that
is Argolida and Corinthia,
while, on 1909 the two counties fuse again. Finally on 1949, Argolida and Corinthia
are permanently separated. Argos District
contains 6 municipalities (Argos,
Kios, Lerna, Mycenae,
and Lyrkeia) and two communities
(Achladokampos and Alea).
(text: Alexis Totsikas)
This text (extract) is cited March 2004 from the Prefecture
of Argolis tourist pamphlet.